Whats your SAHM life and exercise schedule?

Options
Hi! As I am trying to get my life in order I could really use some help/ ideas for daily scheduling..... Just wondering what other SAHM schedules look like? Right now I am not pround to say but my life is out of wack.... Stay up to late, sleep in and end up tired, to much tv and computer and all the good intentions in the world. I just need to write it all down and see what works. But I would love to hear how you spend your days as a mom, cook, cleaning lady, teacher, and weight loss guru. LOL Thank you so much for your help!! ( and yes i understand everyone is different and what works for one will not work for the next) But anything to help me get life back in order!!!

Replies

• 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have a part time job and that helps a lot. How old are your kids? It's been easier to fit things in now that mine are 8 and 10. They will run or bike with me. During the summer we have a pretty relaxed schedule. I have to get up at 3am 3 days per week for work, so that keeps me from staying up too late and sleeping in too much. We spend a lot of time at the pool and I try to get in and just tread water and fart around to burn a few extra cals. Mostly, you just have to do it. Something is better than nothing.
  • doreenOrtiz
    doreenOrtiz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Life can be difficult sometimes, But I noticed as soon as I wake up I will exercise just to get it out the way and they I can go about my daily routine and I don't have to worry about squeezing in exercise during mid day or late afternoon. On the days I have to start work really early it is sometimes hard to exercise so after work and once dinner made I will do a work out video at home. For meals I am not on any regular schedule I just fit them in when I can or when my body tells me I am hungry.
  • railwife
    railwife Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm not a mom but I am a house wife, and I too have the best intentions. I find that the days that I'm home alone and my husband isn't here to keep me busy I can stray on the healthier things. Too much TV and too much computer time. One thing that works for me is getting up and doing everything I need to first thing. If I don't the day is shot. Like today for instance. I started to clean early this AM. It's now 2:53 and I got so distracted by the TV & computer that I still haven't done it. It's all about focus. I sometimes make check list for each day to keep me focused on what I need to do as well. I find that helps me the most.
  • brwneyedirish813
    brwneyedirish813 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    im a stay at home mother..of a 3 year old. hehe daughter! she keeps my day pretty occupied.. i don't do anything special. during the day i push her in the stroller about 2 miles & then in the evenin when my husband gets home from work he lets me run .. and watches her for a little bit. Once their all in bed i'll do yoga or something :D just to wind down for the day. You can add me sweetie!
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    All depends on how old the kids are. I have 2 that are both full time school age so Its pretty easy. I am in bed no later then 11pm. I get up at 7 make lunches and breakfast make sure the boys get feed dressed teeth brushed ect and out the door by 8:20. As soon as the boys leave I start my workout, That takes me till about 9 or quarter after. I then have my breakfast and a cup of coffee to cool off before I shower. After shower its about 10 at which time I do all the housework that needs to be done and laundry any baking that need to be done ect. At around 12 I stop for lunch and then end up watching tv and being on computer Hate to admit but usually till the boys get home at 3:30ish, then its homework snack and before you know it supper dishes showers bed for the boys. I like to get anything I have to do done in the mornings and then basically laz around in the evenings. I will be going back to work next month tho so this will all change Good luck hope you can find what works for you
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Good God, how do you manage to sleep late??

I set my alarm for 6:30 for morning mommy time and IDEALLY a 10 minute workout app (although it rarely happens)

Between 7 and 8 the kids wake up, we have a healthy breakfast (or coffee) and sit around for a while

At 9 we walk to the playground or the store if we need something and we usually get home around 11-11:30am

At 12 we have lunch, I usually plan this ahead for myself because it's not easy putting together a great meal with two toddlers running around

At 2 they take thier nap (in theory) and I get on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes. Starting tomorrow it will be 30 Day Shred time. I also have my snack at this time

5 is dinner and my last meal of the day.

7 is bedtime for boys and I clean the house. If I went over on my calories, this is when I get back on the treadmill to burn them off

I go to bed around 10pm

Now, this is an ideal, perfect day. Sometimes they're monsters and won't nap, or I am just exhausted from dealing with them. Some days it's too hot to go anywhere and we just play inside (we live in the desert), or any number of parenting related things that disrupt my perfect schedule lol It happens, just make a schedule that works for you and try your best to stick to it. Write it down if you need to.

ETA: I used to go to bed whenever and wake up with the kids, but I noticed that when I have a set wake up time and a daily schedule my days tend to be more productive and I tend to feel better overall.
  • lilcupcake213
    lilcupcake213 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Well, one of the joys of being a SAHM is that our days arent scheduled and planned like other working moms. I dont know about anyone else, but for me, everyday is different. I can relate to the staying up late, as I don't go to bed till at least 11-12:00. And my kids are up around 7:00 am. So i am EXHAUSTED ! My day usually starts with breakfast for the kids and cleaning up the kitchen, emptying the dishwasher, and throwing in laundry. Cleaning up the house, picking up toys, crayons, and everything else I find on the floor throughout the day. I try and do one "major" cleaning everyday. One day it will be the bathroom (shower included) ..the next day would be mopping, then woodwork and walls, then washing all bedding. I used to save most of my big cleaning till saturdays, but was too stressed and found out I couldn't have the time to do it all so it would linger, I'd fall behind, and then yell at my husband for never helping ..LOL a vicious cycle. Um, I DO vaccuum everyday b/c I have a crawler so I don't want her picking up anything small and eating it, plus it's gross. As far as diet and excercise go, sometimes I eat what my family is having, sometimes I dont. Depends on what im cooking. If their chicken is breaded and fried, I'll bake mine. And try and keep the sides similar. So if they are having mashed potatoes, I'll have a baked potato. All veggies stay the same, but I take mine out before I put cheese or butter on theirs. Some people dont agree with cooking different for their families as they cook for themselves, but I say, lets get real, they are kids and they want some cheese on their veggies. I dont care as long as they eat them! I excercise at night about 30 minutes after I put everyone to bed ( i have 3 kids by the way)...this way i know for SURE everyone is sleeping. I do Beachbody DVDs ( p90x, insanity, and turbofire) Its the only time i have to myself. I'd love to start running but dont have the time yet, but will try and get the kids on their bikes while I at least attempt to run...sometimes including them in your excercise might be the only way to do it....well, I guess this post got a little long, kudos to you for finishing reading it...hope I gave ya some insight or help :happy:
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Monday to friday I get one run per day. Either at 6am before the children get up or at 8pm when my husband gets home from work. 3-4 days a week I also do 25 minutes of Cardio Max with the Bob Harper DvD. Usually when I do this I have the children in front of a movie. It is the only TV they get during the week so its no problem getting them to sit down.
    Otherwise my days look like this.
    In the mornings the kids and I do our chores. This is general cleaning and tidying and takes the 5 of us about 1h 30. For me it is important that the children know that they have responsibilities in the house. After that we all have a late breakfast. We all eat oatmeal with fruit for breakfast but non of us enjoy eating first thing so we do our chores first.
    After breakfast we wash and get dressed.
    Usuall in the morning is when the children are most active so I like to get them out of the house. If it is raining we will go 'puddle jumping' and down to see the ducks. We sometimes go swimming or hiking when it is wet (in the winter we ski most mornings)
    If it is sunny we pack a light lunch and head up the mountain. I'm enjoying teaching them about the local plants and trees so we do this often. Sometimes we go with the bikes or scooters. Sometimes we drive to the lake to walk and swim.
    Lunch
    In the afternoons we will sit in the garden doing art or reading. Sometimes we go horseriding or to the park. We have started our own vegetable patch and the children enjoy that.
    At around 5pm, if needed, we go to the supermarket for supplies etc.
    We eat supper together at 6pm (ish)
    After supper the children are bathed, this is a big deal because they fight about who goes first. Whilst the baths are being taken the other kids play in the playroom.
    Once baths are done they play quietly. I usually put up the ironing board in the playroom and do my ironing.
    At bedtime they have 30mins reading time by themselves whilst they wait for their Dad. I cook his dinner during this time.
    He reads one book to the triplets and then one for Sophs.
    He eat dinner. If I haven't done my run then I do it at this time.
    He watches TV and I spend around 1-2hrs finishing chores and cleaning. We go to bed together at around 9:30pm and read and chatter until we fall asleep.

At weekends we have Childrens church on the Saturday morning which works because my husband usually sleeps in until 11am on both weekend days.
    We eat all of our meals as a family at the weekends and we always do something together on Sunday afternoons.

Thats it really. Oh and my kids are 3yrs and 4yrs old. (3 of them are 3 years old)
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    (3 of them are 3 years old)

God bless you. And here I think I have it hard with 2 2 year olds lol :flowerforyou:
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I have a six year old and a two year old. DH works two jobs and is rarely home. Here is my day:

7AM-Wake up
    7:15-8:00- Do pilates
    8-8:45- Make daughter breakfast, help her get ready for school
    8:45-9- Drive daughter to school
    9:15-10:00 Give son breakfast, get him ready, eat breakfast
    10-12-Clean, do laundry,errands, go to park or pool
    12:30-Give son lunch
    1:00- 3:00- Son takes nap. I do cardio and strength, eat lunch, take shower, deal with laundry
    3:30-Pick up daughter from school, go to park
    4:30-5:30- More laundry
    6-7 Get dinner ready
    7-7:30-Eat dinner
    7:30-8- Do dishes, clean up kitchen
    8-8:45- Baths for kids, get them to bed, pack lunches
    9-10-My relaxing time
    10-11- Time with DH(if I'm lucky)
    Watch t.v. until around 12, then go to sleep.
    Oh, and on Wednesdays I clean all day. We don't usually get out to the park until 5 or 6PM, and then we order pizza so I don't have to cook.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Monday to friday I get one run per day. Either at 6am before the children get up or at 8pm when my husband gets home from work. 3-4 days a week I also do 25 minutes of Cardio Max with the Bob Harper DvD. Usually when I do this I have the children in front of a movie. It is the only TV they get during the week so its no problem getting them to sit down.
    Otherwise my days look like this.
    In the mornings the kids and I do our chores. This is general cleaning and tidying and takes the 5 of us about 1h 30. For me it is important that the children know that they have responsibilities in the house. After that we all have a late breakfast. We all eat oatmeal with fruit for breakfast but non of us enjoy eating first thing so we do our chores first.
    After breakfast we wash and get dressed.
    Usuall in the morning is when the children are most active so I like to get them out of the house. If it is raining we will go 'puddle jumping' and down to see the ducks. We sometimes go swimming or hiking when it is wet (in the winter we ski most mornings)
    If it is sunny we pack a light lunch and head up the mountain. I'm enjoying teaching them about the local plants and trees so we do this often. Sometimes we go with the bikes or scooters. Sometimes we drive to the lake to walk and swim.
    Lunch
    In the afternoons we will sit in the garden doing art or reading. Sometimes we go horseriding or to the park. We have started our own vegetable patch and the children enjoy that.
    At around 5pm, if needed, we go to the supermarket for supplies etc.
    We eat supper together at 6pm (ish)
    After supper the children are bathed, this is a big deal because they fight about who goes first. Whilst the baths are being taken the other kids play in the playroom.
    Once baths are done they play quietly. I usually put up the ironing board in the playroom and do my ironing.
    At bedtime they have 30mins reading time by themselves whilst they wait for their Dad. I cook his dinner during this time.
    He reads one book to the triplets and then one for Sophs.
    He eat dinner. If I haven't done my run then I do it at this time.
    He watches TV and I spend around 1-2hrs finishing chores and cleaning. We go to bed together at around 9:30pm and read and chatter until we fall asleep.

At weekends we have Childrens church on the Saturday morning which works because my husband usually sleeps in until 11am on both weekend days.
    We eat all of our meals as a family at the weekends and we always do something together on Sunday afternoons.

Thats it really. Oh and my kids are 3yrs and 4yrs old. (3 of them are 3 years old)
    Your life sounds pretty perfect.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 year old (almost 8), a 5 year old and a 4 year old.

6:15 I'm up, getting ready to work out, out the door
    7:00 work out
    7:30 my son gets himself up, dressed and fed
    8:05 stop by home and pick up my son, drop him at school
    8:30 wake up my daughters, get them dressed and fed, iron hubby's work shirt
    8:45 wake up hubby
    9:00 take daughter to preschool, go back home
    9:30 wake hubby again (lol), eat breakfast
    If it's Friday I provide childcare at the gym from 9:30 to 10:30
    10:00 to 11:30 laundry, vacuum, dishes etc.
    11:45 pick up daughter from school
    12:30 to 2:30 run errands, make lunch, more chores, shower in there somewhere
    2:45 to 3:10 wait in carpool line and pick up son from school
    3:30 homework time, more chores
    4:30 start dinner
    5:30 eat, dishes
    6:00 to 6:30 all kids to swimming lessons
    6:30 to 7:30 (some days) cub scouts
    8:00 get kids ready for bed, read to the younger ones
    8:30 girls in bed, son reading
    9:00 son in bed
    9:00 to 10:30 I get to talk to my husband!
    10:45 bedtime for me
    repeat

I am always on time, because pretty much every minute of my day is scheduled.
    Editing to add weekends are totally different, I have NO schedule, we just wing it :smile:
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    haha just recently figured this out enough to get in a workout! 6:30-7 my 2 yr old wakes up, she has milk while i get my coffee in (i add a tbsp of whey to help wake up!) then she cheers me on for 30ds, little diego while i shower (unless she did the work out with me then she likes to come in and colour on mommy with avon colours!) then the rest of the day is pretty much fly by ear. dh home by 4:30, nap between 12:30 and up to 3:30 (sometimes no so much!) supper between 5-6, bed for her by 8 then up to me what i do!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 yr old and a 4 yr old. I work out at a gym near my house 6-7 days per week (combination of lifting and cardio). I work out from 6-7:15 while my hubby watches the kids/gets ready for work. Then it's home to do breakfast and whatever activities we want to do that day. At naptime (around 1-2 pm), I'll often get in a 2nd workout via DVD, just 30-40 minutes--if I feel like it. I don't like being overly-scheduled, so we are pretty free and loose--especially in summer. Today, I did a workout video at home, and my kids made a game of crawling under my legs when I did squats/side lunges. They also jumped over my legs while I did crunches. :laugh: I just roll with it. My workouts are not perfect, and they sometimes have to be cut short, but I just do the best I can do, and keep going.
  • BecciJG
    BecciJG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Im a SAHM to 3, 5 and 7 year olds. Im also a sinlge mum so theres only me to do it all!!

My day starts at 7am, get up, get us all ready to walk to school. My 3 year old only goes to nursery 2 mornings a week till september when its every morning (cant wait) so i have her at home with me all day. Somedays we go to the park, or walk into town, always do some walking. And theres always cleaning and tidying and food shopping to do!!

When little one lets me i do 30 day shred or weights at home, on the days shes at nursery i get to the gym for an hour.

We walk to pick the older two up at 3pm, then home and the madness begins lol!! If weathers nice we sometimes go for a little bike ride or play some football before dinner to tire them out a bit.

Usually have them in bed by 7.

2 nights a week i go to a spinning class depending on childcare

Im usualyl in bed by 10:30 at the latest ready to be up again at 7 (if im lucky enough to sleep all night as my 3 year old doesnt always sleep through)!!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, here is me:
    I PLAN to go to bed on time, which is 9:30pm, eyes closing, going to sleep. That is key. With early bedtime established, I don't mind getting up early...actually I wake up...at 4:00-4:30am. I just love that, 'cause I get a nice morning in before everyone is up:happy:
    I take a shower quickly and go to the gym. I have established a weights and hiit routine which takes about 90min. puts me home around 6am. We are homeschooling, so everyone is still sleeping:happy: So then I get a nice shower and a peaceful breakfast which fits my diet:happy: When the children get up they get their showers and chores done and begin to make breakfast. Breakfast-time is when we do much of school...we take breaks to clean up after breakfast, and continue the school subjects until we are done at about 1pm.

So if you are trying to make postive changes, I would say start making adjustments to establish good habits and schedule. Be patient and encouraging with yourself and your family members...being cheerful and positive...you will get there, and be sure to reward yourself and your family members with smiles, uplifting words, etc as you work toward order and structure that is a blessing to your household!:happy:
  • jessiesunshine
    Options
    IN order to fit in my exercise.. since I have all 4 of my kids at home (school age as well. for online school) it can be tricky.. and I know I HAVE to be flexible.. so i have 3 different places to fit it in at.. one at 6:30 am.. and one at 1:00 pm.. right after we clean up from lunch.. and my kids get a school break.. outside.. and the other is after dinner.. that way if something comes up and I miss my exercise time.. i have another spot to fit it in... on a good day i get all 3.. but usually only 1 or 2. I know that doing this has been the only way to actually get my workout in. Since there is always so much going on. Since my kids are older tho.. we often just take a walk together and I count that. Things are never the same from one day to the next... and for years I was just going without my exercise time.. I had set up this reaLly high expectation of myself to get up at 630 am everyday.. but with half the kids getting me up at night it just wasn't happening.. so now I shoot for the early morning..but i know that I'm not completely lost because i have a back up plan.. lol..
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Lets start by the fact I am a Born again FLYBABY. My house is cleaned and maintained on the Flylady schedule. So my days consist of waking up making breakfast, getting the kids off to school, getting dressed for working out, and ALWAYS ALWAYS doing one load of laudry in the morning, and straightening the main living areas of the house. Once those things are accomplished I either Work out, spend time on the Net, or go Volunteer my time.
    I make lunch, "Deep Clean" something, and the kids are home from school starting at 2:30. That's when I run errands, make dinner and fold laundry. If I haven't workedo ut by now, I will do it before 5PM.
    6PM marks Dinner time and time for extra cirriculars for the kids if they have them. By 8PM though the house is mostly settled and quiet we are either playing a game, watching TV, or getting ready for bed.
    9PM the youngest is in bed and by 11PM I am in bed...to start it all over.

Starting next week is my summer schedule where the morning routine will be changed from getting kids to school...getting kids motivated to leave the house for the morning "activity". I'll more than likely work out before 9AM to make my day easier.
    We'll probably go to the beach or pool every afternoon that I am NOT volunteering (Starting next week I will be volunteering 10 hours/month to a wildlife reserve while the kids hang out at the house in the morning.)

One other little factiod, my kids are 7,14, and 16. I think having school kids that can handle themselves makes all the difference but you can claim work out time during the day say at nap time or quiet time. I wasn't that consistent when my youngest was a preschooler but we always made time for physical activity outside every day. I was also a member of gym that had child care in the mornings and evenings.

Denise
  • Miss_E_
    Miss_E_ Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm A SAHM to a 9 year old with autism, a typical school day for me goes like this -

7am - wake up , have breakfast and give son his breakfast, get washed and dressed in gym clothes, help son get washed and dressed, school bag ready, gym bag ready etc.

9am - Drops son off at school and get the bus to the gym (i dont drive) usually get to the gym about 9.30

11.30 - finish workout and leave the gym, have protein shake, go do any food shopping etc.

1 pm - get home and have lunch, take a quick shower/bath

1.30 - clean the house/do household chores

3.00 - school pickup

3.30 - home from school pick up and spend about an hour sitting with my son helping him with his homework

4.30 - prepare dinner and make sandwiches for lunch for us all for the following day

5.15 - sit down with family for dinner (hubby washes up)

6 - 7 - spend time with son, playing chatting etc

7 - 7.30 - get clothes ready for the following day

7.30 - 8.30 - bath son and put him to bed

Rest of the evening is me time to cuddle up with my hubby and watch a movie or read my kindle, usually go to bed about 11 - 12.

This is what works for me, and i think it helps to be organized, but honestly, i have no idea how i would do it if i was a working mum :noway:
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Everyday is different. I usually fit it in the afternoon. I homeschool and the afternoon is when my older son has his mostly independent work. My youngest son usually plays a game or with his toys. They ride their scooters when we go on walks. :D