For those of us with only 10-30 pounds to lose....

Options

Replies

• cristy4065
    Options
    I just started and need to lose about 15 lbs. I work out twice a day and have not lost a lb. I must be doing something wrong. Anyone else feel the fat you are allowed on this app is too high. Is there a way to change it?
  • cristy4065
    Options
    When you are 60 lbs. overweight, at first the weight comes off much easier than someone who only needs to lose 20 lbs. I think once you get past the first say 20 lbs., the weight loss slows down because we are feeding ourselves less and maybe sometimes too little. The body then goes into starvation mode, hanging on to the fat so the process is then slower. Just a thought.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have lost a substantial amount of weight - congratulations. However, please note that once your weight crepes to near or average weight range, you will have to take diet breaks and return back to maintenance for a certain amount of time so that you can reestablish a more suitable environment for the endocrine system to lose an optimal amount of fat mass. If you continue a chronic calorie deficit, your body is no longer primed for fat loss and progress will be extremely minute. In summary, do cycles of 4-5 months at an appropriate deficit to reduce body fat coupled with a two weeks-several months (depending how long one has habitually maintained a deficit) before returning to a deficit again.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    When you are 60 lbs. overweight, at first the weight comes off much easier than someone who only needs to lose 20 lbs. I think once you get past the first say 20 lbs., the weight loss slows down because we are feeding ourselves less and maybe sometimes too little. The body then goes into starvation mode, hanging on to the fat so the process is then slower. Just a thought.

Actually in regards to the "starvation mode" everyone seems to incorrectly cite...

"At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

But yes I am part of this club as well... slow and steady wins the race.
  • commotionstrange
    commotionstrange Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I have somewhere around 15 lbs to lose in order to hit my original goal of 135.

Odd thing is, I've found myself less motivated once I got to this spot...I'm actually trying to consider the idea that I like where I'm at. I want to keep some of my curves!! I'm thinking of revising to only 5-10 lbs more and seeing how it looks.

I'm also trying to look at the last 10 lbs as a slower process with less time constrictions as I had on the first 40+. I'm focusing now on healthy clean home-prepared vegetarian foods, and less on amounts and calories. I've been on a pretty steady plateau, but it's shown me that maintenance isn't too hard when you focus on what you CAN eat (HEALTHY STUFF!), instead of still feeling like you're restricting. I'm going to ease into the rest of my life with a slow loss.

Anyways, long way of saying that, I'm with you! We can all do this, but lets not get too hung up about the exact number. Just get to where you feel good
    xo
  • vivipr
    vivipr Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    same here :(
    30 more to lose....
    I was aiming to lose before the yr ends but seems like is not going to be possible...
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Try to incorporate Strength Training. I am near my goal and I originally had about 25 pounds to lose... The strength training makes a huge difference - your body gets used to cardio and particularly if you do the same type of cardio.

When you get down the to the last 5 then you may find you don't want to lose quickly, but gradually so you can tone through strength training yet have enough cardio to still have a loss...

Good luck!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It's a slow process. Patience is key. I need to keep in mind that I'll lose about .5lb/ week as long as I stay on track. Sometimes the scale wont move. I'm not completely unhappy with the way I look now. I'm 5'2" and 135 lbs. The goal is 125lbs. Most people probably won't even notice my weight loss but I know I will. I've only lost 5lbs and I already feel much better than before.

But yes, losing weight when you are already small is not easy...
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    girl I am the leader of the 10-30 club!!!
  • kareinlib
    Options
    Same, ugh. I've only been trying to lose twenty pounds from the start. MAYBE another ten after that, but I don't think it's going to be necessary.
  • PistolKrystal
    Options
    I'm with ya! Wow so many of us! Anyone feel free to add me as a friend. I so desperately want to get this 20 lbs off!!
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Me toooooo! And I've actually lost 5 pounds in the last 3 or 4 weeks. But the summer re-gain of weight previously lost is not disappearing on my tape measure! How can I weigh less and not be smaller? Also, that arm flab is right up there for me with the tummy flab. It's not budging. And it's more obvious because I have so much less everywhere else. I am seriously looking at lifting weights. A friend has a Bowflex machine she wants to give me. Has anyone used one? I'm worried about hurting myself without supervision, but the budget doesn't stretch to a proper gym.
    Good luck everyone. WE CAN DO THIS!
  • KforKaress
    KforKaress Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 25
    I started trying around August and only lost 8lbs so far.
    2 months..8lbs =\
  • Lcam510
    Lcam510 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 20-25...
  • aruiz13
    aruiz13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Count me in.. when i started my journy i needed to lose 30lbs to be realistic. The first month(august) i lost 11 lbs now its Oct and i am still only 11 lbs lighter. I will just have to work harder and eat even better to get rid of these stupid love handles!! Good luck everyone!!!
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Trying to find the 130's but it's harder to find than I thought. I'm 154 as of now.
  • Wende3
    Wende3 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm with you.... I've been trying to lose the same 15-20 lbs for years....sigh.

Me Too!!!!
  • happythermia
    Options
    *waves*
    LOL yep. Now it's getting to the crappy S L O W - A S - H E L L part!

Luckily, I'm at a point where I'd still like to lose but am happy where I am and my progress so far. It is funny though - I have one of those wifi scales (fitbit aria) that charts my progress. This month my progress is like: ___________ :huh:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying to lose pounds, now I'm just trying to lose some bodyfat...it's so slow and painful, but after a couple years of almost no change I'm pretty happy anytime I can lose 1/4 inch somewhere!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!