Foods to kickstart my metabolism

Options
13»

Replies

• Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    I havent came across any any proven studys and i just say back to people what i read when they are interested . If they want to try out they will if they dont , they wont .
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    listening to country music- works every time!

Seriously, I would focus on the diet and exercise, flexibility and rest fundamentals and march towards your goals. Your metabolism will eventually acknowledge your commitment.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BTW, if you want to improve the ability to burn calories, start picking up some heavy weights. You may burn a few less calories during the workout but with heavy weight training, you still burn calories up to 24 post workout in order to repair your muscles. WT and some cardio will help cut body fat. Also, make sure you feed yourself. You should eat around 20% below your TDEE so your body doesn't slow it's functions down to conserve energy.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    this person obivously appreciate the info she gets from Doc. oz so it might be respectful to keep your opinions toy our self. you know what mother says " if you cant say anything nice dont say it at all"

Why?

If someone said they wanted to go on a 600 cal a day diet it's either "way to go! " or shut up?

People read the National Inquirer too, does that make them well informed? If you "appreciate the info" you get from a questionable source shouldn't the correct information be offered as an alternative?

BTW - my mother didn't suffer fools gladly and raised all of her children to speak their minds.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    There is no magic foods, pills or supplements. Try strength training and exercise!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The best way to kick-start your metabolism is to make sure you're eating enough food and make healthy choices 80% of the time. Your body doesn't care what time of day you eat. If you want to kick-start your metabolism in the morning, go for a run or do some weight training. If you want to keep your metabolism up, include heavy resistance training in your routine - increased muscle mass will do the trick :flowerforyou:
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    foods with calories ;D
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    breakfast, meals every two hours, lean muscle mass, cayenne pepper,

any food that can help improve the help of your thyroid can help. i.e- kelp, seaweed, amino acid foods like eggs, cod liver oil, vitamin a foods, dulce, etc.

drinking cold water may not specifically speed up your metabolism, but it does burn a few extra cals. you can burn 70 extra cals a day.

eat protien, but not fatty protien.

and green tea i hear.

Myth, myth, myth.. not trying to be mean. But a lot of what you're posting is simply not true.

I agree that most of these are myths, but isn't the cold water thing true? I don't do it because I like my water only a bit cooler than room temp, but I thought that drinking ice cold water burns a few more calories (I am thinking a small amount like 10 more per glass).

Just wondering....
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    BTW, if you want to improve the ability to burn calories, start picking up some heavy weights. You may burn a few less calories during the workout but with heavy weight training, you still burn calories up to 24 post workout in order to repair your muscles. WT and some cardio will help cut body fat. Also, make sure you feed yourself. You should eat around 20% below your TDEE so your body doesn't slow it's functions down to conserve energy.

^ best advice you can get!
  • cmurray234
    cmurray234 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a better way to ask the question is "how can I burn off more calories".

I had a scientist friend of mine say that one of the best ways is to make oneself uncomfortable temperature-wise. Your body uses calories to regulate its temperature. If you let your body take care of heating and air conditioning (so to speak) you'll burn more calories. This hasn't a whit to do with "boosting metabolism", but it WILL burn calories. You'll just be uncomfortable while doing it. :D
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I thought I'd throw a question out there about good foods to start the day on to kickstart my metabolism, any suggestions?

There is no need to kickstart your metabolism with food. Your body requires energy to function regardless if its in a postprandial or preprandial states. In the end, net daily net energy balance is all you need to concern yourself with.,
  • Cherry_star
    Cherry_star Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For all the real advice, thank you. For all the b*tching and rudeness, take it somewhere else next time. Especially the spelling nazi.
  • floyd2b
    floyd2b Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey Gorgeous Lady...

I don't know about the original question of kickstarting... but I know there are some foods which help weight loss by the body using more energy to process them than what they are actually worth in calories (if that makes sense)... I have a full list of them, and Cherries are definitely in there so I eat them most days!!!... I will send you the full list tonight...

Loves Ya!!!
  • johncole90
    johncole90 Posts: 23
    Options
    You can temporarily increase your metabolism by eating 20-30 grams of protein with every meal, caffeine can also boost your metabolism along with a b-complex vitamin.
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Before working out try drinking a glass of ice water with a quarter of a fresh lemon squeeze into it.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Meth.
    Not sleeping for days, sure would burn some extra calories.
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    LOL
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Hey Gorgeous Lady...

I don't know about the original question of kickstarting... but I know there are some foods which help weight loss by the body using more energy to process them than what they are actually worth in calories (if that makes sense)... I have a full list of them, and Cherries are definitely in there so I eat them most days!!!... I will send you the full list tonight...

Loves Ya!!!
    There is no such thing.