Midnight Snacks -- Do you log them in?

Options
cortezpj
cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
I'm a midnight snacker and have been for years. There -- I said it.

Fortunately my midnight snacks usually consist of a cup of light soy milk or a sugar-free Jello cup or a small handful of unsalted peanuts or a piece of fruit or any combination of the above. I'm not eating half a tub of ice cream or a piece of cheesecake. Also, this doesn't happen each and every night, but it happens at least a few times each week. This has been going on even before I gained over 35lbs over the last four years. I blame it on a job I had over a decade ago where I worked the graveyard shift from 11pm to 6am.

Are there any other midnight snackers out there? If so, do you log these late-night trips to the kitchen in your food diaries here on MFP? If so, where -- under the Breakfast category or the Snacks category? In addition to that, do you log it in for the day you consumed it? For example, if you ate something at 11:45 on Monday night, would you log that it for Monday or Tuesday?

I hope this doesn't sound like someone being way too picky but I'm genuinely surprised that after 30 days, I'm still logging in pretty much every thing I eat/drink throughout the course of any given day. Yay, me !

I look forward to your feedback. Thanks.

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Decide when you end your day then.

If you want to log your midnight snacks as the part of the previous day's snacks, then do it, otherwise the following day. It's a matter of preference.

You can rename your meal names. I think I renamed mine from 1-5 or 1-6. Labels just confuse people because they feel that if they put food under "Breakfast" it's like OMG I HAVE TO EAT BY NINE AM OR ELSE!!!!
  • koen612
    koen612 Posts: 83
    Options
    I midnight snack quite a bit but as of recent i cut back, i tend to look at the time if its before 12am i log it that day if after i log it the next day, it is important to log them just as it is important to log everything else that goes into your body. :)
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am a closet midnight snacker...I guess I just outted myself. I don't bother logging it but I try not to go overboard with the snack.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I sleep eat a lot. I sometimes wake up as if I was hit by a dorito tornado. I have no memory of eating these foods. I count'em towards the day before. I consider every morning I wake up the start of the day. I log my sleep eating towards the previous day. I try to overguess everything i eat while sleep eating in my diary.

The worst part is that I bring it in the bed! Sometimes I'll grab a can of pringles and just snuggle with it. lol.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    If you want a true and accurate record of your calorie intake then yes you need to log it regardless of what time of day you ate it. Also, log it for the day you ate it ... even if it's after midnight, if you haven't gone to bed yet, you count it for the same day, not the next day.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Night time eater here. I changed my categories to include night eating and I usually log it for the following day for several reasons. It's usually after midnight, I usually go to bed near my calorie limit, and I like to know that I can work off last nights snacks with todays workout.
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    Ugh, I hate it. I feel like a zombie and it sort of screws up my whole day as I usually eat over 200 calories. I thought I quit the habit but let it sneak back the last couple weeks. If it's after midnight I log it the next day as a snack usually. Good for you for keeping your midnight snacking so low cal and healthy.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    For me, the "end of the day" is when I go to bed. So I log any night snacks under "snacks" in the same day, whether it's after midnight or not. It's really a personal choice though.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I snack late, too. I have a miscellaneous category for things like that.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I sleep eat a lot. I sometimes wake up as if I was hit by a dorito tornado. I have no memory of eating these foods. I count'em towards the day before. I consider every morning I wake up the start of the day. I log my sleep eating towards the previous day. I try to overguess everything i eat while sleep eating in my diary.

The worst part is that I bring it in the bed! Sometimes I'll grab a can of pringles and just snuggle with it. lol.

are you on ambien? lol
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter where you log it. Your body does not reset at midnight. Just log it in somewhere. But definitely log it. Eating at midnight does not mean those calories don't count and/or add up.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Trying so hard to get over my midnight snacking! I'm on day 3 without doing it, but I still wake up and want to. I do log it, usually into the next day though because my snacking doesn't happen until around 3am usually :( is a really difficult habit to break!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

This is the funniest thing I've read in a month.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I try to log them in as I'm eating them... usually under bedtime snack, or something similar. Occasionally I forget.
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am a shift worker so I work days and nights 12 hour shifts - For me a day (in MFP) runs 0000 - 2400 and I log everything on the day that I eat it... I don't worry about when I eat it I just log it.

If I am working nights and I have having steak and salad for my dinner (at 0300) then I log it as breakfast on the day that I have just started. So if you look at my diary I have days where I have chill for breakfast, steak for breakfast all kinds of things.

Don't get caught up in the semantics just log it all, always be it is the truthful. The only person that you are lying to is yourself. I don't know about anyone else but before I started logging everything I thought I was eating healthy and within my calorie range... turns out I was not. I had my weight to show for it.

I just had one of my girlfriends from work start it and I hope she will become as addicted to this as I am. This is a fabulous tool, I love seeing the numbers on the exercise chart, I love seeing that I am within my calories.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Is the sky blue?
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    omg. Yes. i was always a big mid night snacker. i would wake up in the middle of the night and just roam my fridge and cupboards. half the time i didn't even realize what i was doing, but would wake up in a pile of candy wrappers and stuff. lol. but i've put a stop to my midnight snacking. since getting serious about losing the weight and starting this site, i log every thing i eat, except on my one cheat day per week i allow myself. and i don't let myself eat any thing past midnight.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have mid night snacks often (although, it's more like 10pm snacks) I count it as the same day since I have yet to fall asleep. I generally log everything, but there are times I forget by the morning. I may log in the morning, but if it slips my mind, I try not to beat myself up over it.
  • aquabeauty1187
    Options
    I didn't read the other reader comments, but you can change your settings to add a "midnight snack" category. Hope this helps!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter where you log it. Your body does not reset at midnight. Just log it in somewhere. But definitely log it. Eating at midnight does not mean those calories don't count and/or add up.

Lies all Lies I want scientific proof

(Joke)