Psoriasis and Nutrition

Options
2»

Replies

• sophiathedss
    sophiathedss Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have psoriasis as well along with psoriatic arthritis, and mine usually flares up bad during times of stress and the winter when my skin is the driest.

ditto!

11269213.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've had it since I was 15. Coincidently it flared up the worst Ive ever had within a few weeks of me taking up smoking. I think it made it comeout in me. and notice when I quit (yes still smoking) or cut back alot, it descreases along with excercise and eating healthy. I get nervous around winter time. As soon as the climate turns cold, I wonder what it will be this year. It began as very large circles all over my forearms and calves. After seeing a derm. It cleared up then came back on joints, ankle bones, knees, elbows, knuckles fingers. Most of it is gone now. One patch on two of my knuckles and 3 tiny little patches on fingers ( of course super visible place) :grumble:

Last winter though it went nuts, as soon as the cold weather hit was like I had chicken pox. I was covered even had little patches on my face which had never happened before. I cried for days. Finally went back to Dr. Told her to get rid of it. she gave 2 diff. steroid creams I'd never used to alternate...very slowely took them away. NOTHING will get these off my hands though..hmm same hand I smoke with :indifferent:

I think its in remission in most people who have it until they do one particular thing that makes it come out of hiding. or thats my theory at least, why they cant cure it. I have arthritis in my knees know too and pretty sure its coming in on my hands. Im only 32 - feels like its eating my knees alive.may be in all my leg why they ache all the time.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Psoriasis and eczema are both said to be triggered in many cases by yeast overgrowth in the body (candida). So it makes sense that a lot of people find relief by removing wheat, dairy, and sugar from the diet, since these are known to feed yeast. As far as topical relief, I used to make a friend soap that he loved and swore made it go away - it was glycerine soap (can find in craft stores), with rosemary and cocoa butter added in. Rosemary extract added to commercial shampoo also helps get rid of psoriasis on the scalp, as well as relieve bad cases of dandruff.
  • Alisa792
    Alisa792 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see so many ideas about psoriasis -- especially scalp psoriasis, which I've probably had since my teens or twenties. I say "probably" because in the beginning I didn't know what it was. I assumed it was from the buildup of hair products I've used over the years, since back then I was straightening my hair and the flareup was very small. Then in my thirties I went natural and cut my hair very short, and I had no flareup. I recently moved from Ohio to Louisiana and now the flareup is constant and it's on the back and sides of my head. My hair is shoulder-length, still natural and thick now and I'm 50. I'm thinking stress and hormonal changes as well as diet have a trigger effect on this flareup. The zinc shampoo and dandruff shampoo don't work--though the dandruff shampoo is nice and tingly. I use a topical ointment that is expensive and unfortunely doesn't work either. I'm using a natural product that has neem in it and it's alright, but it stinks so bad I don't use it much. So who knows how well it works.
    I'm going to try eating natural whole foods gradually eliminating the processed ones. I think that will probably work the best. I have a brother with psoriasis on his scalp, and his legs. He also has gout (not sure if that's related to psoriatic arthritis, but I know gout is a form of arthritis). He's using a prescription and seems to be alright. His flareups are not as bad as they've been. I want to avoid medicine, so I'm trying some of the food suggestions I've read so far here. Thank you.