Will you be held hostage at your final goal?

Options
13»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m53jq3S7d31r53loao2_400.gif

i learn by posting a topic and ignoring the responses.

LOL!
  • chicatita
    chicatita Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Okay their are a lot of people, who seem to be very strict and gungho about the way they eat, exercise and ao forth they have very strong opinions, that I personaly don't find realist and i'd feel held hostage and held captive...let me be free lol..

I hear very militant comments like:

This isn't a diet, its a lifestyle.

Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss.

Measure EVERYTHING.

I drink 64 OUNCES of water daily.

and so many other very agressive and unrealistic things.

This is not a lifestyle for me. I don't want a life of eating chicken breast, grass and water.

I exercise so the weight will come off faster and so I can truly live a lifestyle, where I don't have to measure everything and eat and drink stuff I dont like or desire. Yes you can lose weight without exercise but who wants to eat 1000 cals a day? If it was NATURAL most of you wouldn't be here.

I'm just saying I plan on having a healthy diet.. NO ONE CAN EAT WHATEVER THEY WANT. BUT all these unnatural behaviors of measuring and drinking gallons of water and saying I rather not eat than exercise.. seem a bit radical to me...

Just as observation. Do what's best for you. I just had to vent :)

Yes I WILL be "held Hostage" when I get to my goal because I have learned way too many times that "dieting" does NOT work. Because you either need to stick to the "diet" or you will gain all that jiggle back!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I'm eating the exact same things I ate before I started this weight loss regimen, I'm merely exercising portion control. Look, you can do what you want, but if you switch back to your old diet you'll switch back to your old weight. Why are you changing all of your food to lose weight? Find a caloric balance with the foods you already loved or near adaptations of the same. When your weight loss is done, you just get to eat a little more - and you'll already know what a reasonable portion size looks like.

And 64 ounces of water is what I need to maintain my body long-term, that's not a "weight loss" thing - that's something I've done for many years and intend to continue doing for many more.

I don't see "this is a lifestyle change" nearly as militant as your post insisting that we all need to eat chicken and grass to lose weight. Gross.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Me personally this is/was a life style change ive changed the way I eat, what I eat, frequency of what I eat also how much of what I eat, and I get off my *kitten* and move way more often if this is not a life style change I do not know what is.
    Nowhere did I say I dont eat icecream or have cake and cookies but how much, how often, has definently been changed.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    When I was outside looking in, it seemed very strict and difficult to meet all the criteria that were laid out in front of me. If you told 275-pound me eating fast food 3 times a week, living off convenience foods, and taking cabs for 20-minute walks that one day I'd be cooking all my own meals, choosing water over soda every time, counting my calories, exercising 45 minutes to an hour daily, and feeling happy and in control while doing all of these things, I'd have told you that you were insane and hey, I'm ordering a pizza, wanna pitch?

I haven't met my goal completely yet, but looking back at how far I've come, going back is not a choice I'd make even if I were sure I could maintain my weight. I feel happy, strong, full of energy, and good about my body. That's what it's always been about for me, not having a trim waistline or a killer *kitten*. I want to feel good about myself and live my life to the fullest, every day. If that's unnatural, then f--k nature.

Maybe you're not ready to make such a large permanent change, maybe you don't fully understand that you can still eat whatever you want in moderated, controlled portions, maybe you have different goals than me, maybe your unwillingness to give the new lifestyle a committed chance is what makes you feel like it's unrealistic. I don't really know where you are coming from and I have no right to judge you; whatever you want to do with your body and your life is your business alone. But if you don't want to feel "belittled" by these "ignorant" and "militant" "radicals" for "forcing" their "unrealistic" lifestyle on you, you would probably do best not to act so aggressively towards them. Live and let live, ya know?

And personally, after learning to properly spice and cook it, I find chicken and grass delicious. :tongue:
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Diet can be used in other terms than weight loss. My diet has changed and will stay changed for the rest of my life. I will never go on a "diet".
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This is not a lifestyle for me. I don't want a life of eating chicken breast, grass and water.
    I think you're missing the point a bit. I lost weight eating normal foods, just less of them. So now that I'm at my goal weight, I'm still eating the same way as when I was losing.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    When I was outside looking in, it seemed very strict and difficult to meet all the criteria that were laid out in front of me. If you told 275-pound me eating fast food 3 times a week, living off convenience foods, and taking cabs for 20-minute walks that one day I'd be cooking all my own meals, choosing water over soda every time, counting my calories, exercising 45 minutes to an hour daily, and feeling happy and in control while doing all of these things, I'd have told you that you were insane and hey, I'm ordering a pizza, wanna pitch?

I haven't met my goal completely yet, but looking back at how far I've come, going back is not a choice I'd make even if I were sure I could maintain my weight. I feel happy, strong, full of energy, and good about my body. That's what it's always been about for me, not having a trim waistline or a killer *kitten*. I want to feel good about myself and live my life to the fullest, every day. If that's unnatural, then f--k nature.

And personally, after learning to properly spice and cook it, I find chicken and grass delicious. :tongue:

I agree with all of this! A little over a year ago, I also thought it was crazy and unrealistic to drink a gallon or more of water a day, to measure out everything you eat, to be so SERIOUS about exercise, etc, etc but now I AM one of those people and I can tell you my life is much better and happier now than it was a year ago. lol.

Actually, my husband jumped on the fitness wagon a looong time before I did. About a year after we met, he stopped smoking and drinking and started eating right and working out. He was about 30 pounds overweight back then and now he is very fit and muscular and "in shape." It has been about 6 years since he changed his lifestyle and I used to laugh it off and roll my eyes when he would give me eating or exercise tips... or tell me I shouldn't have cookies and milk for breakfast, etc. lol. But now I can see that all that time, I was in denial and just didn't WANT to change... and he was right the whole time!
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I plan to keep track of my calories and keep exercising once I get to my goal weight. I'll be maintaining instead of losing, though.

The reason I plan to do this is because I never, ever, EVER want to weigh 356 pounds ever again. I'm sure I'll gain 5-10 here and there (holidays and whatnot), and that's okay, but I don't want to gain 30, 40, 50, etc.

That's why this is a lifestyle for me. Obviously, my old lifestyle wasn't working, so I had to create a new lifestyle.
  • justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'd MUCH rather eat less and exercise moderately than eat a ton and exercise a ton to make up for it. It is more realistic to me to eat between 1200 and 1400 cals a day and exercise 3 times a week for 30 minutes than to eat 2000 calories and exercise for an hour or more every day.
  • laurensayz
    laurensayz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Obviously the original poster doesn't get it. You can't lose weight without cutting calories, exercising or drinking water. I'm not 'militant' by any means, hell I had pizza for lunch and I ate fast food all weekend. But you have to learn MODERATION as a lifestyle change. The water keeps your body hydrated. Not only does it help you lose weight, it makes your skin look better and it makes your bodies overall functions better (including your brain/memory!). As far as exercising, you can lose all the weight you want, but without exercise, you'll just be jiggly and gross looking. You have to tighten up the muscles and skin to not look like your melting. And if I remember correctly, the op (or someone else arguing on her side) said they were 220 pounds and were gonna eat what they wanted, not exercise and not drink water.... WELL GOOD LUCK WOMAN. You can stay your 220 pounds of obesity and I will continue my lifestyle of eating everything I want, IN MODERATION, including chicken and grass, and drinking plenty of water... and being 115 lbs with minimal body fat. I want to be able to ride the rides at theme parks, and chase my kids through the yard without getting tired, look good in a bikini on the beach... and this lifestyle change has done that for me. If its not for you, then I hope you are happy in your (saggy) skin for the rest of your life!

BUT, judging by the fact that you are on this site, I'm assuming you aren't happy with where you are at and there is something inside causing this tension and lashing out at those of us who 'can handle it'. Take baby steps, you'll realized that its not so hard after all and that you can do it too without going crazy or being 'militant.'

Good luck OP.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    im so confused

I'm with you.

So are you saying you're on a temporary diet that you plan to end as soon as you hit your goal weight? Sorry but from the sound of things that's what you're saying...

She doesnt want to change her life, only her diet - BUT she wants a lifestyle full of healthy food and something else but not as a lifestyle cause its too militant to go that far, but she only wants to do this for a little while, so she can get the results she wants? but not in a way she can sustain... because that would be a lifestyle... i quit
    Trying to sound funny, you sound very ignorant. Trying to pretend like you don't understand so you can try and belittle and mock what you clearly understand, was the only point of your post. And probably because you're and offended militants... I find it funny all the militants are like you're gonna gain weight, you want your old lifestyle, you don't understand.. and whatever, I understand completely. I just won't have a goal of drinking water, trying to decide what everyone else is doing with their flatout rolls or how to make chicken and grass taste better etc... just eat and drink cause your hungry and thristy... just like you wouldn't eat poison or drink urine know what it is you are putting in your mouth and how it would effect u.... but measuring to make sure you don't get 50 extra cals or having a goal of 64 ounces of anything is ridiculous to me.... but do what makes you happy.

You are insulting to a lot of folks here,you sound pretty defensive, and you have really REALLY poor grammar. You're the one who sounds ignorant, sorry.

I think that's why you are going to fail.....you can't stand to hear the truth. At least that's how this is all reading. Lots of folks enter the weight loss arena wanting an easy fix, wanting an easy way out, wanting to not have to change their lifestyle, etc. And most of the time when they hear the truth, they make excuses as to why it doesn't apply to them. And that sound like what you are doing. I kind of wonder why you are even here if you think you magically have it all figured out and are, apparently, happy being over 200lbs???
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Um, it takes me an extra 15-20 minutes MAX a day to measure and log all my food, and that's being generous. You plop a bowl on the food scale, hit zero, and put your food in. It isn't some elaborate ordeal, nor is logging my food. That is time well spent to know how many calories, carbs, sodium, etc. that I am putting into my body. I would hardly call that "militant."
  • chamilton911
    Options
    I agree with most of what everyone is saying here. I think counting calories and constantly worrying about what you eat may SEEM unrealistic... but hey you have to remember thats what GOT YOU HERE in the first place. We all have to be more careful and watch what we are eating and how much of it we are eating... and if we didn't all feel that way, none of us would be here. This is a lifestyle change.... there are no "quick fixes" cause in the end... its gonna come right back just like it did the first time. You HAVE to change your LIFESTYLE in order to change your IMAGE.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I think being too strict with my diet was what led me to my first downfall ^^. I lost around thirty pounds, then I gained it all back after I kinda snapped ;x . . . I'm 15 pounds down again, but I'm gonna try to be more lax with my diet and still enjoy life~