What to do with an eggplant?

Options
I have an eggplant and I have no idea what to do with it. I usually make babaganoush, but I dont have any tahini. Any ideas?

Replies

• noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    LOVE eggplant! I take the entire thing (skin and all) and either stick it on the grill and cook it until the skin is black (it's best if you can get it to stand up as long as possible while cooking. OR -- I also stick it on my gas burning stove and stand it up and cook it right on the stove (warning - the water drains from the eggplant and will make a litte mess). You want it to stand up and cook as long as it will. It eventually will fall over so just cook it till it's soft and all the skin is black and flaking.

Then I rinse, peel, and take out all the middle meat, put in a bowl with chopped onion, jalepeno, tomato, cumin powder, cilantro, salt and pepper and it is to die for!
  • candacepatra
    candacepatra Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mousakka! Here's a recipe - http://www.food.com/recipe/egyptian-moussaka-135937

Or, you can slice & grill it, top it with tomato slice/feta cheese/basil or pesto...

Enjoy!
  • janedoe0198
    Options
    That sounds good! Will try!
    LOVE eggplant! I take the entire thing (skin and all) and either stick it on the grill and cook it until the skin is black (it's best if you can get it to stand up as long as possible while cooking. OR -- I also stick it on my gas burning stove and stand it up and cook it right on the stove (warning - the water drains from the eggplant and will make a litte mess). You want it to stand up and cook as long as it will. It eventually will fall over so just cook it till it's soft and all the skin is black and flaking.

Then I rinse, peel, and take out all the middle meat, put in a bowl with chopped onion, jalepeno, tomato, cumin powder, cilantro, salt and pepper and it is to die for!
  • jrgom81
    jrgom81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually grilled some up, chopped it up, and used the walden farms no calorie mayo, and made a eggplant salad sandwich with onions, cucumbers, celery and some tabasco, put it on some sandwich thins with some sprouts, really really good
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you slice it somewhat thin, along with some summer squash, and then spend ten minutes grilling it all, then you can stack it all on a sandwich with some feta and it's kindof awesome. Portabella mushroom too if the price doesn't kill you.

There's just something magical about eating a sandwich as big as your head and then logging only 450 calories, to say nothing of the feeling after eating all those vegetables, you know?
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas...I've never had eggplant but was considering trying it and needed recipe ideas. :)
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest 'put it in the compost...' tee-hee-hee.

Will check out one of these recipes on one of my Daring Days. :)
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    bump
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I bake mine with seasoning....or panko/bread crumbs....or one of my favorites now days ...

Tater crusted eggplant

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup butter
    1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch slices
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
    Directions:
    1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt butter in a shallow baking dish in the oven while it is preheating.
    2. In a small bowl, mix together the egg, salt and pepper. Dip slices of eggplant into the egg mixture, then dip into the potato flakes to coat. Place the coated slices of eggplant into the hot buttered dish.
    3. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until tender, turning once after 10 minutes.

Servings Per Recipe: 4

Per serving:
    Calories: 195
    Total Carbs: 17.7g
    Dietary Fiber: 5.4g
    Protein: 4.1g
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I love eggplant. One of my favorite dish is Eggplant Punjabi:
    I roast it in the oven until tender. Let it cool & scoop out the flesh. In a skillet a small amt of olive oil saute onions , tomatoes & fresh ginger. I add some garam Masala powder , hot or mild curry paste and I simmer. Delicious over basmati rice or any type of flat bread.
  • bkay30
    bkay30 Posts: 43
    Options
    YUM! I love these ideas! Especially the one with butter :) I think tonight Ill try to make a huge veggie sandwich. Im getting really close to my calorie goal for the day, want to try to stay under.

Babaganoush is my favorite eggplant dish. Bake and scrape the insides into a food processor. Add a couple tablespoons of tahini paste, some lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin. Blend and chill. Dip with pita bread. So YUMMY!!!
  • Auntzip
    Auntzip Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Make Ratatouille...delish!
  • angiebarker
    angiebarker Posts: 127
    Options
    Fry it using a little bit of soy milk and flour (lots of oil)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. The greeks roast them....just had some at a greek restaurant and it was delicious!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I slice it, roast it, and use it as the "noodle layer" in lasagna. The roasted flavor is amazing!
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I make something similar to this recipe:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/grillfruitveggie/r/bl30627e.htm

Simple and delicious ;D
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    bump...I want to try cooking with eggplant
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    eggplant parmesan, slice it length wise and use in place of pasta for lasagna, grill it with red peppers, bake it with some spaghetti sauce or sweet baby rays, grill or fry it than eat it on a bun....I could eat eggplant every day of my life lol.
  • mrswhitmore
    mrswhitmore Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Spray a baking sheet with Pam. Cut eggplant into about 1/8 inch slices. Spray eggplant with Pam. Sprinkle with garlic salt or any desired herbs. Bake at 325 degrees until dried and crisp. Yum! Also great sprinkled with parmesean cheese.
  • khrystyna82
    khrystyna82 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Its really good as a sandwich. Thinly slice and spray with a lil oil. Grill or broil them until they are cooked, like 10 mins. I usually eat on a tortilla with grilled bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumber etc. You can add a yoguat spread (greek yoguart, lemon juice, mint and basil) instead of mayo.