What to do with an eggplant?

Options

Replies

• cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I treat it like meat- put a nice veggie based sauce on it, use it instead of meat in a lasagna (if you don't eat what you can use zucchini for the noodles), it's great in sandwiches, or as a replacement for bread in an open faced sandwich.
  • maigan_lynn
    Options
    The first time I ever had eggplant was at a friends house - she's a dietition and has had me try all kinds of stuff. She just sliced it up, put a little olive oil on the one size, added some seasoning and baked it just like that....it was SO delicious! So simple too.
  • thilyer
    thilyer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aussiegirl1990
    aussiegirl1990 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I went stopped eating meat last year my mum made a of mixed veggies and some white pasta bake sauce

(Serves 2-3)

1) Onion - cut thin.
    2) cup of mixed veggies (carrot, pea's, corn, water chestnuts etc)
    1) egg plant ( cut thin and lay them out, put salt on top of the pieces to draw out the moisture and repeat on the other side, dab each side with a napkin.)
    1) bottle of white pasta bake sauce/ any sauce you would like.
    2) cups of pasta - optional.

Cook pasta and veggies. With egg plant, place on med temp on stove, ensure each piece is slightly brown before flipping them over. Mix veggies and pasta with sauce.

To serve place the egg plant on the bottom of the plate and put mixed veggies and pasta on top. Top off with a bit of cheese if you like.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Fry it is probably not a dieting answer :)

Eggplant parm is always good, though.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    steam until done.

Rinse in strainer than smush the water completely out.

Place in bowl with lid, add lemon to taste.

Chill over nite.

Delightful ☺
  • octleigh
    octleigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have a ton I them growing in the garden and didn't know what to do with them when they are ready. The garden and the eggplant was a first time thing. Great ideas here. :)
  • 281rocky
    281rocky Posts: 5
    Options
    I slice it thick and sprinkle with salt and weight down for a while with a plate. This reduces the liquid , then spray each side with a non stick spray and put on baking sheet and bake at 350 for as long as it takes to be tender. sprinkle with parmesan cheese and layer with spaghetti sauce. I use a little mozzarella cheese on top and bake until hot about 30 min. A version of eggplant parmesan.:smile:
  • stennieh
    stennieh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used baby eggplants and made a yummy fritata. I cooked the sliced eggplants and added egg whites, pepper, and goat cheese. There are tons of fritatta recipes on-line.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest 'put it in the compost...' tee-hee-hee.

I'm gonna have to agree with this.
  • f4bul0us
    f4bul0us Posts: 19
    Options
    Giada (foodnetwork) do a eggplant/white kidney beans hummus. it is pretty good
  • MrsHRogers
    MrsHRogers Posts: 24
    Options
    Bump *for recipe ideas*
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's also good in lasagna used in place of the noodle
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I like stuffed eggplant with shrimp, crab meat, cheese, etc. Not diet friendly, but delicious for a special treat.
  • lanebrooks02
    Options
    Roast it in the oven (diced) with a little olive oil, garlic and basil or slice it into rounds, salt it and brush with a little olive oil and grill it. When it is tender, put a little marinara and some fresh low fat mozzarella and melt. Serve it as grilled Eggplant Parmesan.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Mozzarella Marinara

8ziwia.jpg
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    bump and that looks amazing
  • dajero1
    dajero1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Slice, rinse with water, shake in italian bread crumbs, put on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and bake. 350 until done. Oh and turn once half way through. Yum and lower cal.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Love Eggplant!

I grill it then top with marina and mozz cheese for a different take on eggplant parmesan. But (I like the fully loaded breaded and fried version too :smile: )