Avocado

Options

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I like avocado toast. Mash an avocado with salt, pepper (chili flakes) and lemon or lime juice. Maybe olive oil. Then spread on toast. I like whole grain best.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I posted on your status but here I go with more ideas:

In my country we usually eat avocado, we called it "palta" and mostly we eat a variety called "hass"

- mashed the avocado with a fork, mix it up with white rice. You get green rice and it tastes great

mashed with salt:
    - In a hot dog, instead of mayo or ketchup, (or with mayo and ketchup hahaha)
    - In a hamburger

Mix it up with chicken and mayo, eat in tortilla or bread

In ceviche, usual recipe but with avocado in cubes

In Carpaccio, as well, any carpaccio recipe but with avocado in cubes
  • Laurla11
    Laurla11 Posts: 54
    Options
    I'm about to let you in on the best kept secret... use half an avocado in a bowl, smash it into a guac consistency, add some salt and dip garden salsa sun ships in it. deeeliiiicccciiiouuusss, and under 200 cals!
  • ajbltn
    ajbltn Posts: 57
    Options
    By themselves. With a spoon. My 11.5 month old will eat an entire avocado in one sitting if I let him. Lol! I also use them to replace mayo or cheese in a sandwich. Gives me a creamy texture without the guilt. :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Mash it up and mix with tuna (we use tuna with chilli, but use plain if you don't like it spicy). Add a squeeze of lemon juice and some pepper and you have a great dip or spread.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I posted on your status but here I go with more ideas:

In my country we usually eat avocado, we called it "palta" and mostly we eat a variety called "hass"

- mashed the avocado with a fork, mix it up with white rice. You get green rice and it tastes great

mashed with salt:
    - In a hot dog, instead of mayo or ketchup, (or with mayo and ketchup hahaha)
    - In a hamburger

Mix it up with chicken and mayo, eat in tortilla or bread

In ceviche, usual recipe but with avocado in cubes

In Carpaccio, as well, any carpaccio recipe but with avocado in cubes

Oooh, I love the idea of avocado with rice - this sounds like a fantastic, easy lunch box recipe. Thanks.
  • CJuliaV
    CJuliaV Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Based on this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1285644/quinoa-supergreen-salad I tossed cubes avocado, chopped sugar snap peas, mint, lemon juice and quinoa. it was delicious! My mom and I both like to smear it into a salad so it coats like a dressing. make sure it is ripe (soft, not hard), or it won't taste like anything. They keep longer in the fridge. put them on the counter if you want them to ripen. I also love to smear it on toast and add leftover chicken or shrimp, or on a cracker with some olive oil and parmesan. yummmm. they are creamy and buttery. love! This thread has given me a few new ideas, so thanks for asking the question!
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I love avocado!! Eat it with tortilla cihps, seafood, salmon, burgers, eggs, tacos, alone, just about anything! ! :)
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    I love avocado at breakfast. A couple of slices with scrambled eggs or egg whites and sliced tomato is great.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    If I could, I'd smother just about everything with avocado and cilantro.
  • VenturaGurl
    VenturaGurl Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Cut it up into cubes, add grape tomatoes cut in half. Add to a small bowl and sprinkle garlic salt and or lemon pepper, then add a litte bit of red wine vinegar and oil. Mix, chill and serve. Super yummy!!
  • duhblond
    duhblond Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Omelet with garlic powder a bit of cheese and fresh unheated tomato and avocado - so yummy!!!!!!!!!!

or fresh avocado and fresh tomato mixed with some e.v.o.o. and balsamic vinegar so delicious.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Guacamole?

Tomato, onion, avocado, salt, pepper, squirt of lime. Put it on anything. Burgers, or if you're a chicken person put it on chicken, mix with rice, put in a tortilla, spread ot on a sammich in place of dressing....oh the possibilities.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Try an " Avocado Roll ~ Sushi " ... Absolutely delightful ! I generally eat this a few times a week ... I just simply LOVE it !

Avocados are delicious on sandwiches, in salads, dips .... and just as a treat ! :tongue:
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i see it as a fruit. i hate guacamole....so i eat it with vanilla protein powder mixed in...like a little pudding. its YUM!
    also i love it in smoothies. it makes it so nice and creamy without the unhealthy fats.

its so versatile in desserts! i find that when i add it to cake mixes or puddings or muffins.. it doesnt change the taste but makes it really moist . and you can skip the oil/butter too. Yes it has a lot of calories...BUT it has tons of fiber too!
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I love them with eggs,
    mashed up with salt and pepper on toast,
    and recently I tried it on a baked potato with some reduced fat sour cream and salt & pepper.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    They are great on sandwiches!!!
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    with a spoon. :)

Spoon? Just cut it open and eat it!

Besides all the other delicious ways mentioned here, I love to eat it on veggie bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches, in salads, in smoothies and non-dairy puddings, and anyplace most people use butter or mayo.

There are many varities of avocado so try several to find out which is your favorite. I like Hass avocados for some things and Carribean avocados in others, for example. Just make sure they are soft and ripe before you eat them or they will taste rubbery.

Good eatin'!
  • jonbobfrog
    jonbobfrog Posts: 294
    Options
    I like to mash it up and put it on a grilled cheese sandwich. Also great on tuna fish.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I just came across this recipe earlier today, and will be trying it this weekend:

Tropical Guacamole

1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped
    1/8 tsp salt
    2 tbsp chopped red onion
    1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tsp chopped jalapeno
    2 tsp fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup chopped pineapple
    1/4 cup chopped ripe mango
    1/4 cup chopped cantaloupe

Mash avocado and salt together with a fork. Gently stir in the onion, cilantro, jalapeno, and lime juice. Fold in pineapple, mango, and cantaloupe.

Makes 4 servings.
    Per serving:
    107 calories
    4g fat
    19g carbs
    88mg sodium
    4g fiber
    2g protein