Ph.D.'s

Options

Replies

• sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    PhD in Molecular genetics (done in my homeland, France) and postdoc for 3 years in the best city (San diego CA).
    Actually looking for a new one because my lab is running soon of monney :((((

PhD in biology is not the best idea for getting a nice stable job (I'm even not talking about salaries !)

ans always looking for MFP friends !

Good luck to you hon! Biology is a tight field now. NSF budget cuts have eliminated a lot of jobs in biology and science in the last 4 years. Keep looking for positions. :smile: Have you looked internationally (Europe, Canada, Asia?

Well, united states is international for me, I'm from France.
    And I got to say, 3 years after leaving everything (friends, family and hometown) to come here (which I never regret, and I love California (not the famous gloome june)) .... I would like to stay a bit more in San diego.
    Ofcourse without a job, I have to leave the US.

But this is crazy, I thought that was no-limit monney for research in the US when I was in Europe...
    I'm working in a very big research institute with mostyl NIH unding, and all the labs are like that, firing and getting very low with monney....

But thanks for the support !

My sister-in-law has her PhD in Biology (she's a U.S. citizen and her degree is from a U.S. university) and she has only worked abroad (first in France and now in Canada). She said the work is more interesting outside the U.S. and the money is better.

My PhD is in Economics, and although I frequently travel abroad for work, my employers have always been U.S. based (Wall Street firms -- money is never an issue for them).

Good luck!

Thank you for support !!
    it's funny (well kinda) because in France they really encourage us to go abroad (there's very few job home anyway...). but that's true that there are very few americans in the institutes that I know, dont know why.
    What do you work on with PhD in economics ?
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Working on that Master's in Nursing Education and getting much needed real world experience in nursing. Hope to get done with my MSN in May 2013.......................then on to a nurse practitioner program(another MSN or maybe an NP/PhD program)................After that try to start a DNP program. There are talks that PhD will be a requirement for advance practice nurses starting 2015 and i am hoping to be done by then and poosibly get grandfathered in.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I had two parents who refused to help me in any way with my education. I moved over 20 times before I graduated high school. I tried to go to school but my parents made too much money (they were divorced when I was 4) so I could only apply to scholarships and what not and after moving 20 plus times my grades suffered went through a major bout of depression in high school. I did not get into any schools. I went to community college but also was kicked out of the house, literally the next day after graduating high school. Worked two jobs, tried to go to community college, no car - had to walk 3 miles to school at 5 in the morning. Got enough money to get a car, then that car died. Then I ended up moving down to San Diego then with my now wife, who went to UCSD got a Bachelors in Psychology and is now in nursing school.

I am married to someone who went to college, does that count ?
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    PhD in Molecular genetics (done in my homeland, France) and postdoc for 3 years in the best city (San diego CA).
    Actually looking for a new one because my lab is running soon of monney :((((

PhD in biology is not the best idea for getting a nice stable job (I'm even not talking about salaries !)

ans always looking for MFP friends !

Good luck to you hon! Biology is a tight field now. NSF budget cuts have eliminated a lot of jobs in biology and science in the last 4 years. Keep looking for positions. :smile: Have you looked internationally (Europe, Canada, Asia?

Well, united states is international for me, I'm from France.
    And I got to say, 3 years after leaving everything (friends, family and hometown) to come here (which I never regret, and I love California (not the famous gloome june)) .... I would like to stay a bit more in San diego.
    Ofcourse without a job, I have to leave the US.

But this is crazy, I thought that was no-limit monney for research in the US when I was in Europe...
    I'm working in a very big research institute with mostyl NIH unding, and all the labs are like that, firing and getting very low with monney....

But thanks for the support !

My sister-in-law has her PhD in Biology (she's a U.S. citizen and her degree is from a U.S. university) and she has only worked abroad (first in France and now in Canada). She said the work is more interesting outside the U.S. and the money is better.

My PhD is in Economics, and although I frequently travel abroad for work, my employers have always been U.S. based (Wall Street firms -- money is never an issue for them).

Good luck!

Thank you for support !!
    it's funny (well kinda) because in France they really encourage us to go abroad (there's very few job home anyway...). but that's true that there are very few americans in the institutes that I know, dont know why.
    What do you work on with PhD in economics ?

Hmmm. Now that you mention it, I don't recall meeting very many French nationals at my sister-in-law's lab in France. Although, the world of science PhD's is a complete mystery to me (grants, funding, etc., are not something I think about). I provide analysis on specific commodity and currency markets to Wall Street firms and hedge funds.

Anyway, best wishes to you! I hope you get to stay in San Diego (one of my favorite cities!)
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    first year PhD...and 4 years into the program...this is going to take a loooonnnggg time
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I kind of want to get a Ph.D in political science. For two reasons: 1. So I can be called "doctor" and 2. So I can make more money and have a better chance at teaching a college level class.

For the university I go to, I have to get my Masters in order to get my teaching license, so I kinda feel like I should just go all the way and do the Ph.D. I'm just not sure how I'll fund it...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I kind of want to get a Ph.D in political science. For two reasons: 1. So I can be called "doctor" and 2. So I can make more money and have a better chance at teaching a college level class.

For the university I go to, I have to get my Masters in order to get my teaching license, so I kinda feel like I should just go all the way and do the Ph.D. I'm just not sure how I'll fund it...

Funding in the US is VERY tight right now so you may have to do a lot to find funding or do several partial funding sources. Just keep looking and get everything you can get even if it's small. Small fellowships or scholarship programs don't get a lot of applicants like large full-ride fellowships so your odds are better at getting them.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options

Funding in the US is VERY tight right now so you may have to do a lot to find funding or do several partial funding sources. Just keep looking and get everything you can get even if it's small. Small fellowships or scholarship programs don't get a lot of applicants like large full-ride fellowships so your odds are better at getting them.

Yeah, and I paid my own tuition this entire year, so I guess if I did it once, I could do it again.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    Environmental Science and Public Policy joint degree PhD plus an MBA... I LOVED school for quite a while (and still love learning), but then wanted to get out and make some real money! I still love tutoring...

I tutored in high school because I needed community service hours for National Honors Society. There were some moments when I really loved it, and others that I wanted to punch the person I was tutoring. I guess I should get used to it if I want to be a teacher, though.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I got mine - law - in 2002.
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a PHD in cognitive psychology in September - can't wait!
  • Brittmy
    Brittmy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first year for my PhD in Clinical Psychology. Feel free to friend me, nerds! ;-)
  • fluffysexyme
    fluffysexyme Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    O.D. Student here... Didn't want the M.D. Burning eyeballs is not my idea of a fun time.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    Another professional degree collector here. PhD in virology, then an MBA in addition to Bachelors and Masters. Did 2 parts of the CFA as well.
  • kakiem
    kakiem Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    PhD in Chemistry here. Only 4 months to go so less writing and more lab work.

Going slightly crazy,

Anyone want to add me feel free :o)
  • toomanycurves
    toomanycurves Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Clinical psychology doc, here. Then two year Post-Doc. Also, five years of psychoanalytic training. Also, two year masters in related field and, of course, bachelors where I tried to major in everything! ;-)
  • toomanycurves
    Options
    You can do it. I paid for my entire education and was denied non-merit financial aid at a time when merit aid was extremely limited because my father could easily have put me through school. He thought that it would be good for me to be "self-made." We agreed to disagree on this one but even years later, I believe that he was so wrong. I often had 80 hour weeks (they would have been longer had I not been an intuitive test taker who could get an A writing about something foreign to me because I hadn't had time to study). Dear old Dad was wrong on this one but I loved him anyway.
  • LizzieMdp
    LizzieMdp Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lol Elizabeth!! I am doing BSc in Microbiology... I am in the second year and want to do PhD in the same...:)
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    So, we have got some good combination of brain and body here!
  • toomanycurves
    Options
    There's alway me! ;-)