fashion faux pas

Options
snw_
snw_ Posts: 237 Member
im not a fashionista in any shape or form, but i know a faux pas when i see it. what tops your list?

the things that stick out to me ...

- if you are wearing a white shirt and you dont want your bra to be visible, wear a bra that matches your skin tone! for us white girls, that would mean wear a nude/beige bra. a white bra is ~not~ the proper choice! (of course, im the type of girl who will wear a black bra under my white shirts, but thats what im going for)

- visible panty lines for sure. ~shudder~

- pantyhose/tights with open toe shoes.

Replies

• supatim
    supatim Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Welding gloves after labor day.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Flip-flops with jeans never seemed right to me.

turtlenecks in general/
  • StrawberrySt
    StrawberrySt Posts: 235
    Options
    Leggings as pants

Wearing something that is 'fashionable' but doesn't suit your body shape (ie. fat girls in midriff tops or cut off shorts)

Ugg boots as outside the house footwear

Clothes that are ill fitting
  • misscandyface
    Options
    Leggings as pants! It sounds so cliche, but it just does not look good on ANYONE unless your shirt goes below your booty!
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Crocks.. just toss them in the trash
    open toe shoes with socks! hell no
    guys and spandex shorts , just wrong
    guys with short shorts.. what year is it? please

ladies well if the bra is what you are worried about just skip the bra then :P
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Leggings as pants

Wearing something that is 'fashionable' but doesn't suit your body shape (ie. fat girls in midriff tops or cut off shorts)

Ugg boots as outside the house footwear

Clothes that are ill fitting

Yes! Ugg boots as fashionwear will never work in my opinion.
    And when you combine them with jeggings - it's a shocking look. Even the long shirt couldn't rescue the uggie/jeggings combo I saw the other day.
    Unless of course, bogan is what you are aspiring too.

I don't get bothered by the vpl though - most people wear panties, as long as you can't see them through the pants, I don't care about seeing an outine. I think it's a much worse look when you can see the outline of the g-string through the pants (ie black g-string under white pants - euuwwww).
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Ugg boots and shorts when it's 100 degrees out.
    PJ's in the grocery store (or anywhere public for that matter, lol).
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

It cracks me up to see girls wearing UGGs in the summer here (AZ). I have to laugh at the discomfort some people will put themselves through for the sake of (poor) fashion. My feet sweat just thinking about it!!!
  • snw_
    Options
    Awwww... why the bad uggs juju? I wear uggs. i live in colorado and wear them when its snowing. they are awesomely comfortable!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I wear what I enjoy wearing. I don't care about what's 'flattering'. I proudly wear leggings as pants under a long shirt.
    Different things are appealing to different people. There's really no need to waste your time being judgmental of someone's fashion choices just because it's not your cup of tea.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Awwww... why the bad uggs juju? I wear uggs. i live in colorado and wear them when its snowing. they are awesomely comfortable!

youre the exception then. i live in cali and there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to wear uggs unless you're in the sierras during winter. lol
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    When my loving hubby wears an Ohio State university jersey with his camo shorts. I want to run and hide, especially if I'm looking extra cute that day.
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Welding gloves after labor day.

Haha nice.

I have always worked in retail for my part-time jobs (Kohl's, Forever 21, Express) and have seen ALL types of fashion statements coming through. There are a lot of things I don't like that others probably love, but there are a few faux pas that nobody should ever commit:

-skirts and dresses that are too short
    Short things can be sexy and fun, yes, but there's a limit. Let's have some tact! Nobody needs to see your cooter.

-clothes that are too big
    On the other hand, I can't stand when people are swimming in their clothes. If you're trying to hide something, wearing bigger clothes makes you look just that...bigger.

-working in a lot of junior's sections, I hated seeing older women try on girls' clothing
    Dress your age. Yes, some clothes are basics and look good on all ages, but it makes me sad to see older women try on clothing their daughters should wear. It makes me feel like they are going through an identity crisis when they have no need to be! There are so many amazing and fashionable clothes for adults!
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Wearing any clothes at all that are cleary too small on you.
  • snw_
    Options
    I don't get bothered by the vpl though - most people wear panties, as long as you can't see them through the pants, I don't care about seeing an outine.

me either ... like my pants?

230601.jpg
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

It cracks me up to see girls wearing UGGs in the summer here (AZ). I have to laugh at the discomfort some people will put themselves through for the sake of (poor) fashion. My feet sweat just thinking about it!!!

I used to live in AZ and when the Fall semester would start up at the UA, I would see girls in short skirts/ shorts and UGGs. Really? What, are you trying dehydrate from the knees down??

My pet peeve is people who don't wear clothes or bras that fit. Keep the girls high and contained, ladies.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    People here are describing Saltspring Island. Hippy meets yuppy, in a gypsey sort of way.
  • snw_
    Options
    There's really no need to waste your time being judgmental of someone's fashion choices just because it's not your cup of tea.

~giggle~ it's so awesome when people are judgemental in regards to how people shouldn't be judgemental.

I wear what I enjoy wearing. I don't care about what's 'flattering'. Different things are appealing to different people.

but really, it's in our nature to judge. we judge everything - from whom we are attracted to how good a piece of food looks before we stick it in our mouths to eat. you said it yourself, "Different things are appealing to different people." Why? because they judge the look. it's why fashion critiquing shows/magazines/blogs/etc are so popular. hey, it's great you don't care what people think of your clothing choices! but it's naive to think the majority of people won't be judging you.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    There's really no need to waste your time being judgmental of someone's fashion choices just because it's not your cup of tea.

~giggle~ it's so awesome when people are judgemental in regards to how people shouldn't be judgemental.

I wear what I enjoy wearing. I don't care about what's 'flattering'. Different things are appealing to different people.

but really, it's in our nature to judge. we judge everything - from whom we are attracted to how good a piece of food looks before we stick it in our mouths to eat. you said it yourself, "Different things are appealing to different people." Why? because they judge the look. it's why fashion critiquing shows/magazines/blogs/etc are so popular. hey, it's great you don't care what people think of your clothing choices! but it's naive to think the majority of people won't be judging you.

I know plenty of people are always judging me, I just don't care. My happiness > someone else's arbitrary definition of beauty.
    And really the main point is that just because it's 'in our nature' to do something, doesn't mean it's healthy or a nice thing to do.
    Personally, I live by the rule that "nobody deserves to be judged on any choice they make, unless it harms another person".
    Carry on.
  • snw_
    Options
    And really the main point is that just because it's 'in our nature' to do something, doesn't mean it's healthy or a nice thing to do.
    Personally, I live by the rule that "nobody deserves to be judged on any choice they make, unless it harms another person".

i guess your point i'm disagreeing on is judging is unhealthy or mean. when i judge someone's clothing choice, i'm simply discerning if i like it or not, just my opinion. I'd never point at them or laugh or anything. and in this thread, we have only listed those opinions that fell into our "don't like the way it looks" category - all in a very general sense. no one is saying "i think someone who wears socks with open toe shoes is a bad person."

in the same way people are judged negatively, the other side of it is when they are judged positively, which quite often times results in a compliment. if we didn't judge that person's fashion choices as something we liked, compliments would never happen. So it's okay to judge when it's a positive outcome, but not when it's a negative outcome. yet without the judging in the first place, the good would never come out of it. You have never given a compliment?

now, i completely would agree with you if individual people were being hurt by the negative opinion from said judging. but that's not happening. we are all just acknowledging our personal opinions on what fashion choices don't work for us.

:ohwell: