Help to up protein for vegetarians

Options
rusta
rusta Posts: 29 Member
Hi,

I have been vegetarian for about a year now. I have found now that I have upped my exercise regime that I am getting tired alot.

I used to exercise alot before becoming vegetarian, and didnt experience this - so i am sort of guessing that i am not getting anough of something in my diet. Do you think this is protein (currently eating approx 35g on an average day)?

Does anyone have any good protein packed vego recipes?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Are you eating more now that you are exercising more?
    It might not be about the protein (though increasing it won't hurt), but it may just be that you aren't eating enough calories.

Sorry I don't have a good recipe for you!
  • rusta
    rusta Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am not eating my exercise calories - but i dont feel hungry. Maybe i will have a crack at eating them and see if it gets better

:smile:
  • kelleymj
    kelleymj Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing...became a vegetarian in January, started working out about 1 1/2 months ago and I am exhausted. Most of the time I get the amount of protein that MFP suggests that I get. I know cottage cheese has 14g of protein in a 1/2 cup. I eat 1 cup everyday for breakfast. Quinoa has good protein too! I eat tons of beans...black bean burgers, black beans on my salads, soups with beans....I am hoping that someone might know more about it! I work out cardio 6 days a week for at least 45 up 90 minutes and strength training 3 days a week. I didn't feel tired prior to starting the exercising, in fact I felt fantastic for the first 4 months of being a vegetarian.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I am not eating my exercise calories - but i dont feel hungry. Maybe i will have a crack at eating them and see if it gets better

:smile:

You know, I think hunger is really over-rated as a tool for knowing how much to eat. For so many of us (well, me anyway!) we've spent years eating too much or not enough or not healthy stuff and I don't think our bodies have a clue as to what they really need.

I would take the "not having any energy now I'm exercising" factor as a big clue that you aren't feeding your body enough. Calories are literally energy. No matter the quality of what you are eating, if there isn't enough, your body will suffer.

Try eating back most or all of your exercise cals for a month and see how you feel at the end of it.

(Note that every single calorie calculator I've ever seen suggests that you eat more when you exercise, its not just some freaky idea that the MFP guys came up with!)
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to make seitan? 'Wheat meat'? Its protein packed...
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I posted a recipe for a veggie burger did you see it?

Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayonnaise
    adapted from All Recipes
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 4 • Size: 1 burger w/ mayo bun + avocado • Old Points: 8 pts • Points+: 9 pts
    Calories: 362.6 • Fat: 14.0 g • Protein: 18.1 g • Carb: 50 g • Fiber: 15.1 g • Sugar: 7.1 g
    Sodium: 786.4 mg (without salt)
    Patty alone, no bun, no avocado, no mayo: 4 pts plus

Ingredients:

For the Spicy Chipotle Mayo:
    3 1/2 tbsp light mayonnaise (Hellman's)
    1 tbsp canned chipotle in adobo sauce

For the Black Bean Burgers:

16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    1/2 cup chopped scallions
    3 tbsp chopped cilantro
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 jumbo egg
    1 tbsp cumin
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp hot sauce
    1/2 cup quick oats (use gf oats for gluten free)
    4 whole wheat 100 calorie buns (Martin's)*
    1 small hass avocado, sliced thin

Directions:

Combine mayonnaise and chipotle, set aside.

Dry the beans well after washing, extra moisture keep the burgers from sticking. In a medium bowl, mash beans with a fork until thick and pasty.

In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, cilantro, onion, and garlic, then add oats, then eggs and spices. Then stir into mashed beans.

Divide mixture into four patties (using slightly oiled hands helps) and place them onto a flat surface covered with wax paper. (If it's too wet, chill the mixture 30 minutes in the refrigerator or add another tablespoon of oats)

Freeze at least 2 hours before cooking or keep frozen until ready to cook.

Heat a lightly sprayed skillet to medium heat and cook frozen burgers about 7 minutes on each side.

If grilling, preheat grill over medium heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil; grill 7-8 minutes on each side or you can bake in the oven at 375° on a lightly oiled baking sheet.

*Nutritional value will vary slightly depending on buns. Look for low calorie whole wheat buns.
    As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I received Glad FreezerWare Containers to review. All opinions are my own.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    chickpeas are pretty high protien I think.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I still need protein tips too and I eat meat!

Quinoa
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 7 years and was told that the one vitamin that would be difficult to get enough of is B12. I am strongly against taking supplements but my doctor suggest I start taking B12 (along with my daily multi-) which can help a lot with energy levels and your immune system. Tracking protein is important (greek yogurt, veggie burgers, whey protein smoothies) but I might ask your dr is B12 is something you should consider :smile:
  • shelltherunner
    shelltherunner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough B-12. B-12 plays a critical role in our energy reserves. It is primarily found in red meats, organ meats, and some fish (salmon, tuna). It does not occur naturally in vegetables or other non meat foods. Many manufacturers are adding it to things like soy milk and cereal.

A few years ago, I ran into this problem. I was not vegetarian but I did cut out red meats and egg yolks. My doctor ran some blood tests and I had a form of anemia called B-12 deficiency. I was so low I needed B-12 shots and a supplement. Now I eat red meat once a week and enjoy my egg yolks!

Vegetarians should take a B-12 supplement since they are not eating foods that have B-12 in them.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    you need to eat your calories back from exercising. this is why you are feeling tired.

I've been vegetarian for several years, I don't feel like that and I eat plenty to fuel my body. Your body gets used to eating less food as why you don't feel hungry. Start eating more. You'll feel better.
  • byroman
    byroman Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would say to start eating meat again. But since you probably don't want to do that, take a look at my buddy Rich Roll's cookbook. http://www.richroll.com/uncategorized/jai-seed-cookbook-now-available/
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hey! I talked to my doctor before i switched from vegetarian to vegan and we discussed protein and she told me that the average person only needs to consume 31g per day and Americans actually triple the amount each day that they really need. She said realistically the only time someone would ever become deficient from protein is if there is something seriously wrong with them and their bodys arent absorbing it but thats a whole different issue. She advised me to be aware of how much iron im consuming because thats really the only thing a vegetarian tends to lack in their diet. she said if i start craving ice or starch i need to take a iron supplement. Ive been doing the whole vegan thing for over a month now and feel great Im even running further and working out harder then before. I go back to see my doctor in Nov. so she can do blood work and we can visually see how much my health has improved since the switch. I can wait for that appt!
  • heddylamar
    heddylamar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and a distance runner — just here to lend moral support and accountability to my husband. And I enjoy reading the forums.

Anyway, agree with the lower instance of B vitamins in a vegetarian/vegan diet — but it's not just B12. I'd suggest taking a vegetarian B-vitamin supplement. There are B-vitamins in eggs and some dark leafy greens, but not enough to easily meet RDA.

As for protein, it's not as large of a problem as many Americans make it out to be. The RDA for women ages 19-70 is 46 grams (or .36g per pound of body weight). <b>That's 59.4g protein for a 165-pound woman.</b> For runners/endurance athletes the ISSN recommends 75-120g protein for endurance athletes (or .45-.72g per pound). That's 74.25-118.8g for a 165-pound woman.

I find it rather easy to meet both the RDA and (higher) ISSN recommendations without supplementing. This doesn't include other staples like loose nuts, tofu, and tempeh:

1 oz cheddar 6.9g protein
    1 egg 5.5g protein
    1 cup black beans 41.9g protein (and 662 calories)
    1 cup quinoa 22.6g protein (and 589 calories)
    1 cup steel cut oats 10.8g protein
    6 oz. avocado 3.4g protein
    1 cup garbanzo beans 38.6g protein (and 728 calories)
    4 oz. greek yogurt 11.8g protein
    1 cup skim milk 8.3g protein
    1 cup black beluga lentils 48g protein (and 608 calories)
    4 tbsp peanut butter 9.4g protein
    1 slice whole grain bread 6g protein (depends on your bread)
  • khorudko
    khorudko Posts: 5
    Options
    Get your hands on some hemp protein and add it to smoothies. Also add hemp to your yogurt and salads. Amazing stuff!
  • kelleymj
    kelleymj Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I know I didn't post the question but thank you all for the suggestions....going to start eating back my exercise calories (at least 1/2 of them) and get some vitamin B, and iron supplements! I see my doctor for an annual check up...maybe have some bloodwork done to see if I am deficient! Thank you all again!
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    Cheese is high in protein, aspecially cottage cheese you can mix with fruit and almonds. It is super easy to get your protein as a vegetarian, of course whey protein shakes. Im vegetarian and always go over my protein limit add me if you want to take a look
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    If you're tired a lot, check your iron intake. I'm vegetarian too and found out I wasn't getting near enough iron, and started taking a women's multivitamin every day.

That being said, I drink a double-scoop protein shake every single day after my workout. 52g of protein, sometimes more if I add in peanut butter or other goodies!

Other favorite foods that are high in protein and healthy:
    Almonds
    Lentils
    Black beans
    Greek yogurt
    Eggs

^I eat at least one of the above every single day, usually more!
  • chrysalisenergy33
    Options
    I eat edamame as a post gym snack
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    Bump