What to make with leftover baked chicken?

Options

Replies

• neurogirl
    neurogirl Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    There are some great recipes out there but one I love is Chicken pot pie (you can either use the pie crust from say Pillsbury, or I use when I need higher calories the biscuits on top) with healthy request cream of chicken soup from Campbells (or equivalent) OODLES of vegetables such as carrots, brocolli, peas, and bake it all together in the oven. Can use some corn starch too if you want to make a thicker sauce.

I also did some chicken, broccoli, and cheese bicuits in the oven and they are great. You only use half a biscuit per serving, fill out a muffin pan with them and add some chicken, cheese, and broccoli, then bake. You can mix everything (sans biscuits) with some low fat soup or cream mixture if you want to make sure it's uber moist. Great for lunches since you can take 2 as a serviing with you to lunch or have for a few days at home for leftovers (they reheat really well).

Hope that helps. Since you're allergic to eggs, other ideas may not work as well. Also, I think your original idea of chicken fajitas isn't bad. Just use lots of veggies.
  • divinebird
    divinebird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I usually cut up the white meat and put it in my romaine salad the next day. Easy and tasty protein addition! Also--here's my usual progression when I bake a whole chicken:

Day 1: Bake or roast the chicken for dinner. Put the rest into the fridge overnight, still on the bone.

Day 2: Take all the meat off the carcass. Put the carcass and any other bones into a big pot with some celery, carrots, and whatever spices I want, cover with water, and simmer for a few hours. Strain out the solids and save the liquid--freeze it! I now have a ton of chicken stock to use in recipes. This is also the day that I make chicken soup, since I have everything already. I keep aside 2 cups of the stock and use most of the dark meat I saved, along with some vegetables. Cook the veg first in the stock + some water until they're tender, then add the meat in the last 15 minutes since it's already cooked.

Day 3: Chicken quesadillas or fajitas. Also, I have more in my salad at lunch.

Day 4: In the rare event that I have any left after lunch on this day I make a pot pie. I don't bother trying to be light. I just make a good one and keep myself to proper servings. The rest freezes beautifully and I have a meal for the future. :)
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I buy Nooodle & miracle rice, they have no calories!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have made a chicken salad with olive oil mayo, plain greek yogurt, taragon, salt and pepper. I don't know if there is egg in olive oil mayo sorry. It is very lemoney and light.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I made skinny chicken enchiladas last night that turned out wonderfully!

Yields 4 servings (2 enchiladas per serving)
    Calories: 292
    Carbs: 32
    Fat: 10
    Protein: 32
    Sodium: 712mg
    Fiber: 15

Enchilada Filling
    8 Tortillas (I used Tumaro's 95% fat free, low carb multigrain tortillas)
    1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped bell peppers
    1/2 cup Non-Fat Greek Yogurt (I use Dannon Oikos)
    1/2 cups Shredded Low-Fat Mexican Cheese (I used Weywauwega Reduced Fat Mexican)

Skinny Enchilada Sauce
    3/4 cup Salsa (I used Tostino's Chunky Salsa
    1/4 cup Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
    1/4 cup Low-Fat Shredded Cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x13 dish with cooking spray
    2. Saute onions and peppers with cooking spray until lightly brown
    3. Mix veggies with the rest of the enchilada filling
    4. Spread approximately 1/4 c. of the mixture onto the tortillas and roll into a burrito. Place seam down in the baking dish
    5. Mix salsa and yogurt and spread evenly over the tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese.
    6. Place foil over dish and bake 15-20 minutes.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    mmmm chicken

Salad with some chunks of chicken
    Chicken salad, light on the mayo, in a lettuce wrap or pita

You could always just eat the chicken :). Chicken is so good
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Check out Rachel Rays recipe for chicken stew - OMG, my husband made it last night for the first time and it was amazing!!
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You guys are making hungry! Great ideas! :)
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Check out Rachel Rays recipe for chicken stew - OMG, my husband made it last night for the first time and it was amazing!!
    She has several online, I'm not sure which one you're talking about.
  • gcanter
    gcanter Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Saute' some chopped onion and celery,
    add chicken, spices to taste
    when chicken is heated through
    add 3 tbsp of Low fat BBQ sauce.
    Wrap in lettuce leaves on on low cal bread.
  • rekus73
    rekus73 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can try salad...add apples, celery...grapes...table spoon of light mayo and mustard...salt and pepper to taste...and you have a healthy chicken salad...:)
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I had to cook a whole chicken the other day so it wouldn't go bad...now I don't know what to do with this chunked up chicken. I was trying to think of healthy ideas, but all I can thing of is chicken fajitas. Thought of chicken & noodles, but noodles are high in calories. Any other ideas? :)

How about slicing it up and putting it overtop of a nice caesar salad?
  • lbelle987
    lbelle987 Posts: 97
    Options
    I usually make chicken tacos with whole grain corn shells, or whole wheat tortillas. I use reduced-fat cheese (mostly for taste) and top with shredded lettuce, pico de gallo & avocado and/or Chobani plain greek yogurt.

You could also mix the chicken with black beans, corn, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes...season with cumin & cayenne, top with cilantro and a little fresh lime juice & serve over quinoa.

Or make a salad?
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    green salad or a ceasar with chicken on top :) or you could maybe add it into pasta, make a wrap out of it .. uh check skinnytaste ! She probably has some recipe ideas :)
  • rychma
    rychma Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use leftover chicken to make BBQ chicken pizza. The recipe I use gives you 1 large slice for 375 calories. I am sure the recipe could be tweaked to lower the calories.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    fajitas!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I usually throw it on a salad.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    chicken salad or home made chicken soup...not chicken noodle
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I always cook up a whole chicken on Sundays, just so I can have the meat all week. I do wraps, flat bread pizzas, Heat up the plain chicken and dip it in hot sauce, enchiladas, chicken salad, all sorts of things!
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *bump*

: ))