working full time and have a toddler. When to exercise?

Options
MrsLg
MrsLg Posts: 103 Member
Are there any other mums of toddlers who work full time? I am struggling to find the time to exercise now maternity leave is over.
I am up at 6am looking after LO. When I get home I put him to bed and am hungry for my dinner by then so don't feel that is a good time to exercise. I cook and eat dinner and by then it is around 7.45pm. I obviously need to let my food go down before exercising, how long should I wait? I am pretty much ready for sleep by then though, but it is the only time I can think to do my exercise.

How do you all manage?

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Have a snack late in the afternoon and work out before dinner....
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I do it as soon as I get home. If I put it off until later in the evening then I won't do it. I usually start dinner if I need to, get it in the oven then go work out.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    You have pretty much the same options as everyone else with kids.
    1. Before your lo ges up.....5am in your case.
    2. After your logoes to bed. This one would be easy since he goes to bed so early.
    3. Join a gym that has childcare.

I do all three of these.
  • stephanne82
    stephanne82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have been getting up at 4 am to work out; I am currently doing the Insanity Workout. I have 2 kids (4 year old and 4 month old) and work full-time. It is working for me, it is hard to drag myself out of bed that early; but I feel so great afterwards!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I work fulltime, have a 2.5 year old, a 1 year old, and one on the way. The only time I can workout is at 10pm. Do I want to do it? No. Do I need to do it? Yes. I feel better when I do. Yes, 10pm isn't ideal, but I've learned that you have to just do it whenever you can.
  • AprilLBradley
    AprilLBradley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    yep... it's gotta be super early or super late. that is what works for me and i have 4 kids at home, ages 10 to 1 year.
  • Pupster92
    Pupster92 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try and sneak in a lunch time power walk...
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I will have a small snack at work before I go pick up my kiddos to head home that way my sugar is level....Usually when I get home while dinner is cooking I will fit in a 7-10 app workout in there and there are a few exercises you can do around the house while your waiting for things... I usually will do situps and when my son comes up to me knees to play I will do sit ups while saying peek a boo and certain other exercises.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I get up before kids wake up at 5 or 530. Just gotta do it. I work, go to school, and volunteer at the humane society - right now I have two different litters of kittens that bottle feed every 3 hours, round the clock. I have a 6 and 9 year old to get ready for school, I used to make excuses about not having time, and I got fat. Now I suck it up and just do it and I feel/look better.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    After the little one goes to bed is when I do it.

Most people once used to it will work out better when hungry. The hunger goes away anyway once your heart rate goes up. People evolved their athleticism to get food, we are meant to work out best when hungry.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old, and I work full time. My husband and I do split shifts so he has the kids during the day and I have them at night. The only time I can workout is in the mornings before everyone is awake. I get up at 4:45am so my whole work out is done before the kids get up at 6:30am. Then its off to the races!
    Tired? Yes but there simply is no other option for me. I don't have a gym membership and even if I did I would feel guilty leaving them at the gym day care while I work out when I've been away from them all day (that's just me).
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what the others have said. I have a full time job, part time job, 2 kids, my youngest is almost 3 plus a hundred other things going on. I try to prep as much fruit, veggies, lean meats and meals on Sunday to get us through most of the week. It's a huge time saver when I get home in the evening. I am able to warm dinner up then workout afterwards. Some days I'm able to get a snack in at work right before I head home then workout before dinner. If kids are hungry I go ahead and heat them up something. If I'm able to get to bed early enough the night before then I get up at 4 and workout first thing. You just do it when you can and make it work :) You are worth the time! Don't let other things get in your way!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I have been getting up at 4 am to work out; I am currently doing the Insanity Workout. I have 2 kids (4 year old and 4 month old) and work full-time. It is working for me, it is hard to drag myself out of bed that early; but I feel so great afterwards!

I also get up at 4 am. I have a 2-year old, work full-time, go to grad schoot part-time, am on my company's softball team, and am on the board of a local museum with lots of meetings and events.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    1. What does LO mean? I mean, I assume it's the toddler, but...just curious what it actually stands for.

2. I have twin toddlers and work full time. I get my buns outta bed at 5am to exercise. Just started doing this again because it's the best way for me to ensure I get it in without feeling guilty about not spending time with my kids. It's rough, but it all depends on how bad you want it. Anything else is just an excuse.

3. Good luck!!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I work full time (3rd shift:frown: ) and have a 10 yr old 3 yr old and 17 month old. I work out in the evenings if possible. I have a play area set up in my basement for the little ones and work out for an hour there. Most of the time I can get through it but sometimes have to pause what I'm doin to give little one a bottle or snack etc
  • nicnactoo
    nicnactoo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm a mum to a toddler and work. When I'm at work, I go to the gym every lunchtime. It's my favourite part of the day. :)
  • Breezy415
    Breezy415 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kiddos (ages 7,4,2months) I either do it at night after they go to bed and my hubby goes to work (8:30ish) or when the baby gets up to nurse at 4am I stay awake and do it then. You have to figure out if you're a night person or a morning person :-)
  • shrednyc85
    shrednyc85 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this for a while and this is my solution:

After Im done feeding my 3 yr old dinner, I give her our ipad which has a few cartoons on it. I do the 30 day shred workout video (takes about 25 mins) while my daughter sits on the couch and watches a cartoon. Not ideal, but its the only time I can find to work out.

Alternatively, I will do this right when she wakes up.
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids and work full time. I workout when they go to bed, around 8:30PM. It sucks but that's the only time I have.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I work full time and live in the country so I also have around 2 hours a day of driving time that eats up my day. I cant wait until he stops napping and goes to bed earlier... Ugh! ... I only get about a half an hour to an hour total a night just before bed to myself.

You could get up an hour earlier in the morning. i am up at 5 every morning and my 2 year old doesnt go to bed until 9pm. He is usually up, even on the weekends by 6 and he goes hard all day. Or, if you dont want to get up earlier, If you are done everything by 745 you still have plenty of time. I agree with having a snack when you get home, put him/her to bed and then exercise and have another snack, or dinner, but dont make it a heavy one. Or, depending on where you work etc, do it on your lunch hour. We are lucky enough to have a small gym here and we have someone come in to do a bootcamp workout for us 3 lunch hours a week here which we pay out of pocket for, but we are lucky to have! Even just spending your lunch hour going for a brisk walk counts as exercise... :)