working full time and have a toddler. When to exercise?

Options

Replies

• jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You have pretty much the same options as everyone else with kids.
    1. Before your lo ges up.....5am in your case.
    2. After your logoes to bed. This one would be easy since he goes to bed so early.
    3. Join a gym that has childcare.

I do all three of these.

^^This! Also, talk to friends and family and see if any of them would be willing to look after your child for an hour or two while you workout. Or, if you have a good stroller, you could take the LO with you for a walk in the evenings. The fresh air would be good for both of you, and he/she will see you setting an example for how important daily exercise is for our health.
  • hlindsey06
    hlindsey06 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know this isnt possible for everyone, but I go to the gym at lunch. On days it doesn't work with my work schedule to get it in at lunch, I go after dinner. I have a 6 year old and 2 month old.

Good Luck!
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have 3 kids ages 6, 4, and 17 months and I exercise 6 days a week. I get up between 5 ane 5:30 exercise, shower, get baby up, the others wake when they want get everyone breakfast while I pack my lunch and eat my breakfast, get kids to school then go to work.

My baby is a good sleeper and if she does get up when I'm working out she stays in her crib until I get her. Occasionally if she gets up early I get her up and she plays while I exercise.
  • amj3303
    amj3303 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old.. and for the past year or so, I have been waking up at 4 am and working out, then I get ready, get my kiddo ready, and we would be out the door around 6:10. It is a FAST morning but that is really the best time. After I work, I just want to go home, cook, and play with my daugther until bedtime. :) It is a bit harder when the kiddos are younger because my daughter would interrupt me so that is why I workout when she was asleep. Now that she is older, it is much easier if I have to workout when she is awake but I still prefer to do it when she is asleep.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Also don't make having kids your excuse to not exercise make it your REASON!
  • misfit34
    misfit34 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you are like me whether you get up early or not you are rushing in the morning trying to get ready for work and get your family ready for the day. I have found that my five year old enjoys working out with me. Of course she doesn't do all the things that I am doing but she might run in place, or do jump n jacks, or crunches, and she actually enjoys it with me. Plus this is our time together.

When she gets tired of it she goes in her room and plays or goes outside, but for that moment she has a sense of satisfaction because she got to do what mommy was doing.
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    i personally have the luxury of being a stay at home mom, but for all other working mothers that I know. 5am appears to be the magic time to work out :/
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends on whether your kids are good sleepers, which mine are! :-)

I am a mom of 2 (1 and 3 year old) and I work full time. I get up at 5 am - workout, pack my lunch, shower, and then get the kids up and we are in the car at 7:30 am. The key for me is getting enough rest the night before, so it's lights out at 10:30 pm at the very latest. You have to make your health a priority. I've also found that working out at 5 am is great "me" time. Good Luck!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Here is what you need:

1) Dedication

2) For your Cardio: http://www.soletreadmills.com/Ellipticals

3) For your strength and conditioning: http://workoutjourney.com/p90x-dvds/resistance-bands/

Signed- Full-Time working Father of an 8 year old
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I have the same problem. I ahve a 2 yr old, we get her up about 6 am now to get moving to the sitters and usually cant pick her up til after 5 pm (earlier on Fridays ebcause of my short friday schedule). It SUCKS and also, I dont want to join a gym and put her in Daycare because i am away from her so long during the day!

I also have a hard time getting my body mving in the morning. I tried before I was married and had kids to get up early and work out and my body cant get moving that early!

Lately, I have taken cltohes to work to try and walk during lunch but once Summer gets here, I wont want to do that. I have had a 2 night a week Zumba class that helps and my husband has her during that time. it sucks because those nights I see her all but 20 minutes before she goes to bed but, I spend literally all weekend with ehr so, it makes me feel a little better. I try to get a walk in while my husband goes to pick her up afte rwork or, I plop her in the stroller and walk with her in the evening, LOADING up on the bug spray. OF COURSE, rain causes that to get messed up to.

My suggestion is find what times work best for you, whether it is in the AM or PM and work something out there. I still use TIME as an excuse and SORRY, but, I LOVE my time with my kids (daughter & step-daughter) and eventhough it is for me, i hate losing that time.

I like the idea of working out while you are playing with them! I have tried that a few times too! This weekend, I am going to start walking with her in the morning, since she is up at 6, even on the weekends too!

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • jazzrose007
    jazzrose007 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old and its impossible to work out when she is awake, so I had to wake up at 4am each morning and get my exercise in. I love doing it this early because its out of the way for the day. In your case 5am might also work. Get your 1 hour in and be done with it!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I exercise right when I get home after work. So I'm not making my dinner until about 8/ 8:30....I generally don't eat before 9pm. Eating that late has never hindered my fitness goals.

1 - walk on your lunch hour
    2- invest in work out DVD's and work out at home
    3- walk with the kid(s) after work/ on the weekends
    4 - find a gym with babysitting services
    5- find a babysitter so you can make it to the gym
    6 - get up early and do it
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm a divorce single parent to 4 kids ages- 10, 7, 6 and 3. I work a full time job from 930-530.
    I've changed my routine so I can exercise first thing in the morning before ALL of them are up.
    That means up and exercising by 530am. If i miss this window, I make sure I drop them off at school early enough so I can walk to the train station (That's a mile!) At work, I do at least 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical machine at the fitness center in the building and eat lunch the last 15 minutes of my hour break. As long as the weather cooperates, I opt to walk back home.

Yes, there are days that work is crazy and I can't hit the gym. As everyone said, you have to think outside the box to get your exercise somewhat. Whether you go to the other side of the building to get your water bottle refill or take the stairs instead of the darn elevator.

On days I don't get my workout ins, the kids know that mom can be grumpy. I've also taken them out for a walk while waiting for dinner to be done. It's a win-win situation since they come home tired and hungry. They eat dinner and then get ready to go bed soon after. :bigsmile:
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym with a daycare and other activities for kids. *YMCA*
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    When my kids were little and I worked full time I would have my nephew who was a teen at the time watch the kids upstairs in the living room while I went downstairs and worked out to my 'tapes' or with my weights. Afterwards I would make homemade pizza and we'd all watch a movie together. So I felt it wasn't taking away too much time with my kids... it would only take me 45 minutes to an hour right in my home (no traveling back and forth to the gym), the kids got to hang out with their cousin, and then it was family night afterwards.
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I work fulltime, have a 2.5 year old, a 1 year old, and one on the way. The only time I can workout is at 10pm. Do I want to do it? No. Do I need to do it? Yes. I feel better when I do. Yes, 10pm isn't ideal, but I've learned that you have to just do it whenever you can.

This. I have an 8 month old, so the only time I have is either before he wakes up or after he goes to bed. I can't afford to join a gym, so I get my workouts from OnDemand on Direct TV or videos from Amazon or other places like it. It's working for me so far.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Well Im sure everyone hit the same point I have but here it goes.

Im a mom to 3 kids one 14 one 11 and my baby girl who just turned 3 I start work at 8:30am and dont get out to 5pm so yeah I know your life story VERY well. When I get home I get straight to making dinner. I have learned that inorder to not take to long (since most times I dont get home till about 6pm) I need to pick quick easy dinner that dont take more than an hr to cook although I agree that the hunger diminishes once you start your workout you may still get hit with that hunger sometimes right after you are done or at least that happened to me yesterday LOL!!

Any ways my workouts can vary they may start anywhere from 8 to 9:30pm and usually just to 1/2hr sometimes my daughter is already sleeping some times she is not. When she is up and wide awake she joins mommy and does the workout with me she will get tired sit and watch me and start talking to me and then jump back up and join me and I cheer her on she loves it. When she sleeps well its a more peacefull concetrate just on me kinda thing.

I have done the early morning think too waiking up at about 5am in the morning. However, its a bit difficult/restraint in the morning for me since I have to do something with low noise impact so I dont wake up anyone. Usually I do Chalean Extream weights, no jumping, good workout.

So really it varies on how you wanna attack this. I do understand that by 7:30 we are beat but I can guarantee once you get in routine you get much more energy to do the things you wanna do even workout its just a matter of getting started that is the difficult part. You just have to push yourself those first couple of days. Belive me once you accomplish this you will feel amazing and no need to drag around the house feeling tired. GL!!
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I go for 30 minute runs on my lunch break 2x a week. On the weekend I'll do my third (longer) run while hubby watches the kids. For strength training, I try to get 3x/week sessions in at lunch as well - I have a gym at work. If I have errands to run at lunch, I will lift at night at 8 after the kids have gone to bed - we have a basic bench and some dumbbells in our basement. Hubby deals with any bedtime shenanigans on lifting nights. My kids are 4.5 and 2.5. I have also added yoga one night a week after work, hubby stays home with them too. I'm lucky he's so accommodating! I can't get up early, though I wish I could to get it out of the way! With this set up, I'm only taking about 2 hours away from my time with the kids weekly.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids ages 15 months, 5 yrs, and 8yrs and a crazy full schedule. My littlest guy gets up around 530am so I don't really get a chance in the morning, and I run a daycare during the day out of my home fro 10-11 hours, so after the kids go to bed is the only time I get to get my workout in, there are nights it starts after 8pm and I am tired and don't feel like it but I tell myself to stop being a whimp and get my butt in gear and work out because I'm only hurting myself if I don't do it.

You can do this I know it seems difficult and life is throwing a million and one things at you but you have to make time for you, good luck!
  • sadye58
    sadye58 Posts: 55
    Options
    When i get i home i give my daughter a snack and turn the tv to elmo (her fav) to keep her occupied and change clothes and start
    working out immmediately. Once i am first i go about cooking, cleaning, and getting ready for the next day! Hope this helps!!