Guys that are in the weight room getting your workout in...

I always feel like I am a bother to them in the weight room... :ohwell:
I can't lift much because I have shoulder problems that limit me from lifting heavy, but I try to go in there and lift some to strenghten my arms... There are always so many guys in there and I feel like a burden because puney little me is over here lifting just the bar to tone up while these guys are racking the weights on to lift.
(Also I know they are probably laughing because I am just lifiting the bar, but I prefer not to hurt myself)

Guys... When you see a girl that can't lift very well in the weight room trying to lift, are we a bother to you?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Huh? Why would it be a bother? Why would someone be a bigger pain if they are only lifting the bar and not hundreds of pounds? It doesn't make a difference at all. I don't even pay attention to what other people are doing or lifting. If anything I would be pleasantly surprised that there was a girl willing to lift weights, no matter how little. You'd have to be an idiot to expect a woman to be lifting as much as you do so if anything you'd receive less judgment than a guy would.

In other words, don't sweat it. The only thing annoying about the weight room is people who don't put stuff back, don't clean off equipment, stand around taking up equipment when they aren't working out...etc..
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    No one bothers me as long as they are reasonably quiet, and they use the station properly. (IE: If you are in the squat rack, you should be squatting.)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Sometimes I get annoyed by everybody, just because my gym is so crowded sometimes. Doesn't matter who they are or what they're lifting but if all the benches are being used I get annoyed. I actually prefer the females because they're more easy on the eyes.
  • nickmast78
    nickmast78 Posts: 65
    I'm actually surprised that I don't see more women in the weight room. It's no bother at all with them being in there as long as they are using the equipment for what it's supposed to be used for and not just sitting there taking up space. I think the most common thing I see with women using weights is improper form but who am I to say anything.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Only in that there is usually limited equipment and I'm bothered by having to wait for anything.

A question - not meant to be disrespectful - wouldn't 5 or 10 pound dumbell weights and a floor mat accomplish the same thing as lifting the bar without tying up equipment that has more uses?

If you're in the weight room and there are a bunch of heavy lifters around, ain't no one going to be waiting for the 5# dumbell set. ;)

But, heck, if no one is waiting (or someone is but it's your turn) you pay the same fee they do to be there, right? Then you get equal access to the gear. That's what paying for a membership is all about - everyone gets to use all the gear.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    The only thing annoying about the weight room is people who don't put stuff back, don't clean off equipment, stand around taking up equipment when they aren't working out...etc..

THIS!!!
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,412 Member
    No bother at all. I prefer to see a woman lifting than on a cardio machine.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member

Guys... When you see a girl that can't lift very well in the weight room trying to lift, are we a bother to you?

NOPE!

funny-gifs-work-it-girl.gif
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    I wish I saw more women using free weights at my gym. I hardly ever see a single one.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    I hate to hear them grunting as I do not need to do that when lifting :huh:
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    I've always wondered this myself. I don't have the funds to join a commercial gym right now but when I do I hope I'll have the guts to walk into the weight room and not give a crap about what the guys in there think...
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    I don't mind.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member

NOPE!

I'm rollin in the floor on this one.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Absolutely not! I hate when the free weight room is full of gorillas. The ladies are always welcome!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    If anyone minds that I'm 'just lifting the bar" they can go *kitten* themselves. True story.

I recommend this attitude.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    They aren't laughing at you. They actually probably don't even care that you are there. If anything, they are glad you are there because you are cute.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    A bother??? Nope. You are the insperation to make us lift more. Guy's tend to "up their game" when a pretty lady is arround. :-)
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574

NOPE!

HAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!! I love this. THank you for that
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    Doesn't bother me at all, I applaud anyone who is in the gym lifting...no matter how much it is. I get a lot more irritated by the guys who are in there to show off with their friends and have lifting contests. Kudos to you for sticking with it!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    I hate to hear them grunting as I do not need to do that when lifting :huh:

Everyone at my gym grunts when they lift. I only grunt on one lift- the one that uses my injured shoulder the most.

Anywas, OP, I have had this same feeling. Noticing guys looking at me and getting the feeling that they want me the hell outta there so they can use the equipment. Then yesterday, some guy who was benching like 230 came up to me and said "hey, you are kicking some serious *kitten*!" That made me feel a bunch better. I'm sure they want the equipment, but I doubt it has to do with you being a girl, or lifting lighter weights.