Keeping protein down

Options
13»

Replies

• Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney problems, you don't have to worry about keeping your protein low.

another good post
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    1g of protein per pound of LBM :)

^this
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm always over, sometimes way over on protein. As long as I'm working out I know I need the extra.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    "I have my daily intake set at 15% "

Do you set it on MFP, or do you mean that you aim for that? Is there a way to change the settings?

I am one of the people who thinks protein is set too low and Carbs too high.
  • kevin1207
    kevin1207 Posts: 2
    Options
    Sorry, no. Protein does not turn to fat. Fat is the storage form of energy in the body. As long as you are burning off what you're taking it you won't add fat, regardless of what quantities of which nutrients you consume.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    "I have my daily intake set at 15% "

Do you set it on MFP, or do you mean that you aim for that? Is there a way to change the settings?

I am one of the people who thinks protein is set too low and Carbs too high.

You can change the settings on MFP. From home, go to goals -> change goals -> custom.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/522046-can-protein-be-converted-to-body-fat/

"Considerations

According to the American Council on Exercise, if you consume more protein than your body needs each day, the excess protein will be converted into body fat. Many athletes consume large amounts of protein to try to promote weight gain, but much of this added weight will be in the form of fat. In addition, consuming excessive amounts of protein can also affect the health of other parts of your body, such as your kidneys."

From the same article you just posted:

"When you consume more protein than your body needs to supply its amino acid demands, the excess protein can be burned for energy."

Furthermore, if you actually check the references, the ACE website they're citing says:
    "If individuals consume protein in excess of their caloric and protein needs, the extra protein will not be stored as protein. Unfortunately such extra protein is converted to and stored as fat. As a result, if individuals consume large amounts of extra protein in addition to their regular dietary intake, any weight gain would very likely be in the form of fat. "

Note that it says caloric AND protein needs. In other words, the excess protein is stored as fat when in a caloric surplus. This does not mean that someone who has excess protein is going to store the excess protein as fat in a caloric deficit. If this were true, I could gain fat by eating 600 calories a day of tuna! It will be rather be used to supply energy to run the body, and if the body has ENOUGH energy (caloric surplus), THEN it will store it as fat.
    Edited: Just like it will store a caloric surplus from carbohydrates or fats as fat.
    Great post.