Replies

• Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Rude and tacky are different right?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Lately, my family and I have gone out to dinner several times. I have been trying to cut down on the soda we drink, so I have 3 different flavors of Mio in my purse. Not only do I unashamedly USE it, but I leave the bottle out on the table during the meal. The only *comment* I have gotten was the waitress wondering if she should top off my water once I got it flavored just right :D For a family of 5, ordering water to drink saves an easy $10 every time we go out.

I have been known to take a small container of dressing with me when I go to restaurants. Most restaurants get their dressings in in gallon bags and do not even have nutrition information available if you ask! They cannot prove that you do not have a severe food allergy issue, so I would assume they would not mind. I like the idea of taking your own seasonings ( ie splenda/cinnamon, etc) to make sure you can season your meal the way you want.
  • xoalyssaox
    xoalyssaox Posts: 320
    Options
    Okay not all are bad.. But here is what caused me to think about this.. I went to Red Lobster last week to celebrate my best friend being pregnant, and I looked at the menu online ahead of time to plan ahead and they didn't have any light dressings. The only one that had was balsamic vinegarette and I don't like that. (and it was still 60 calories), I have fat free italian at home for 15 calories, and I would so rather eat 15 than 60 of something I don't even like :)
    All the dressings at restaurants are so bad for you
    Where did you get this idea?
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    It's fine....most places have decent options. You could always just ask for oil & vinegar. I always get dressing on the side & use the "fork dip" method (dip your fork into the dressing, then spear some lettuce!).
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I've bought my own dinners to restaurants. I give zero ****s.

as a restaurant worker....you'd be asked to leave.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I either get it on the side to dip my fork in or bring my own in my little Tupperware midget. They don't know because it is in my purse and I try to be discrete. I think they can't technically tell you that you can't as the laws around food places require that open food items not be brought in.

I know at the local Mongolian grill we have they let people bring their own sauce in but it must be in a new unopened container. You can always do that if it is a store bought dressing.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I've worked as a server for 9 years at various restaurants and I can honestly say that bringing your own dressing is not rude at all!

Bringing your own crystal light or mio wouldn't bother me in the least! It's your product, it doesn't produce a mess for me or cost the restaurant/server time or money, however... Ask for a water with 9 lemons per glass and using them along with sugar packets so you can make your own lemonaid... Annoying.

Bringing your own dinner to a restaurant: unless you are under the age of 3: Rude! I'm sure that guy who gives zero ****s also gives zero tips :-)
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I've bought my own dinners to restaurants. I give zero ****s.

as a restaurant worker....you'd be asked to leave.

Glad I'm not the only one. People like that are who make my job torturous.
  • saynotofat
    saynotofat Posts: 37
    Options
    I used to carry my own bottle of dressing when I knew I'd be eating a salad. And I carried a butter substitute as well, for baked potatoes! I don't think it's rude at all. Do what's good for you and who cares what other people think!!
  • fitandyoga
    fitandyoga Posts: 27
    Options
    Nope not at all! I do it all the time! But I measure it out and put a little inside a container so Im not bringing the whole bottle and making it obvious
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Not rude, but if they ask you to get rid of it don't pitch a fit. Most restaurants will not allow you to bring any of your own food in because of health code/licensing rules.