Groceries $$

Options
How much do you spend on groceries per month?

Please also include your calorie target and whether you are a meat eater, pescatarian, vegetarian, or vegan.

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    $500 per month for a family of 2 adults.

I eat meat, but all our veggies are farmer's market or locally grown. My calorie goal varies between 1450 and 1650 calories per day. Hubby eats between 2000 and 2500 calories per day.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    $300 a month on a cut. $500 a month on a bulk, easily.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I eat a weird diet (sometimes vegan, sometimes not but I only buy vegan right now...I just have lots of frozen food stored but don't want to waste it). I spend anywhere from $30-50 a week for one, depending on if I'm trying new recipes and need ingredients I don't already have or if I need to replace things I've used up. Generally right now I just buy produce and maybe some legumes or tofu. I don't eat a lot of grains. This doesn't include times I eat out.
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    there is 5 of us in my family and i can normally feed us for around $600 a month. it's hard and i shop sales and buy as much fresh and local as i can.
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    $600+ per month! :cry: Family of 4. We eat meat. I alone eat my cut of 2290 a day.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Between my brother and I its about 400 dollars. My daily calorie intake is around 3,500
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    $500/month for two people. We're both omnivores. I eat about 1800 calories per day, and BF eats around 2500.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I spend $200 a month (combined). We are both vegetarians. He eats probably 1400 calories a day and I eat about 900 calories a day. We eat mostly veggies, beans, rice, oats. Our "splurges" are fake meats (like veggie burgers!).
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I spent a lot on groceries. My calorie goal is 1590, I shop for a family of 5, and we spend at least $800/month.

But I feed 1 vegan, 1 vegetarian, 2 toddlers with mutiple allergies and huge appetites, and 1 very tall, hardworking and hungry husband. And we live in a part of Canada most people will never ever hear of, and everything is trucked in. EVERYTHING. Fruit does not grow here, very few veggies grow here and what does grow only grows for 2 months a year.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I spent a lot on groceries. My calorie goal is 1590, I shop for a family of 5, and we spend at least $800/month.

But I feed 1 vegan, 1 vegetarian, 2 toddlers with mutiple allergies and huge appetites, and 1 very tall, hardworking and hungry husband. And we live in a part of Canada most people will never ever hear of, and everything is trucked in. EVERYTHING. Fruit does not grow here, very few veggies grow here and what does grow only grows for 2 months a year.

Are you up north? I knew someone who worked up north for awhile and hear horror stories about how much he spent on food (especially his comfort foods).
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from $100 -$200 for a single male. I eat all kinds of good stuff. Meats, cheese, good bread, fruits. This includes eating out btw (once-twice a week). Indian cooking is cheap :)

Edit: My calories are between 1700-2000
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I would say about $500 a month. For 2 adults and 2 kids. And we do eat meat.
  • misschubbybutterfly
    Options
    $250-$300 a month for a family of 3. We don't eat red meat and my son and I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies. My Boyfriend eats less then healthy and hates veggies, but he's happy with himself and doesn't want to change. I only encourgae him to eat better but I don't push. My son LOVES canned green beans (yuk) so I allow him to have those. As far as childhood vices go, that's not too bad :P
    My calories are 1700-1800 a day
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    about $600-650 a month for myself, my parents, and my 2 kids(2 and 4)... was doing alot better when I used coupons... need to get back into that.

we're all meat-eaters, my calories goal is 1500-1600... my kids both eat all..day..long.. ..but never tracked anyone else's calories except my own...
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Maybe $500 or so. Lots of meat and veggies!! Very little processed foods.
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    About $600 for a family of 3 fulltime / 6 sometimes (family size varies as my 3 stepkids are not here consistently - some months we barely see them and some months they're here several days a week). I usually buy organic when possible, so that can be pricey. If it was just me, I don't think I'd be spending that much on food these days. My current calorie goal is 1430/day, and some days I'm sure I'm eating for around $5/day. Also, we cut down on our meat eating a lot since I've been doing MFP. My husband is very much a carnivore, but even he recently acknowledged that we should probably eat less meat.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options

Are you up north? I knew someone who worked up north for awhile and hear horror stories about how much he spent on food (especially his comfort foods).

Yep, up North in oilpatch country. (fort st john BC) In a small town too, which makes it worse. It could be worse, my husband worked in Fort Nelson once (4 hours north of here) and he forgot to take his toothbrush. $7 to buy a new one.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Probably 200-300 a month for just myself. I try to eat around 2000ish, maybe more calories. I buy mostly meats, fish, chicken, eggs, fruits, veg, and raw dairy. I cook almost all my meals usually.
  • ladyace15
    ladyace15 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Easily, 600.00 a month for 2 adults (one being a VERY hardworking man) and two little boys (both who have VERY high metabolisms and eat like grown men sometimes) LOL. We mainly eat fish and chicken and maybe twice out of the week beef. My husband has to have his tea, I have to have tilapia, my oldest son has to have banana's and granola bars and my youngest has to have banana puffs! My calorie intake is close to 2400
  • Jflowwers
    Jflowwers Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Around 600 for myself and my husband. We are in the NYC suburbs and its expensive . :(