Groceries $$

Options

Replies

• kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Between my husband and I, about $300-400/month, including my wine and his beer. We eat mostly lean meats, veggies, whole grains (rice, quinoa). I'm allergic to gluten, so any of the flours I buy to make my bread, etc. are more expensive than regular flour. Also, I don't often buy GF beer, but that's also more expensive. With exercise, I eat between 1,800 and 2,000 calories. My husband doesn't track, but he eats more than that, I'm guessing about 2,500 on average ... more when he has a basketball game. We have a garden and buy most of our veggies at a local market.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    $300 bi-weekly (not just on food)
    Family of 4 ... to include the things I buy to care for 7 chickens, 3 ducks, 2 dogs and 4 fish (hey pets are family too!)
    No red meats or pork.
    2 of us are gluten free.
    My calories range anywhere from 1350 - 1800 depending on my training days. I have no idea how many calories my husband eats.
    ETA: I have a veggie garden, it's how I save money
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I spend right at $600.00 per month which has gone up now that I am eating more produce. My 15 year old 6'1" 175 lb. son accounts for most of that since school is out and he likes lots of junk food and cereal which I do not eat.
  • sherrykwilk
    Options
    I spend so much on groceries its ridiculous. I do a lot of my shopping at Whole Foods because it is convenient and I can usually get foods there that I can't get in the other stores...I love Rudy's English muffins and also Rudy's whole wheat bread. Organic potatoes, blueberries, strawberries, lettuce, celery...a lot of these foods are on the "dirty dozen" list, so I try to only eat the organic variety. My husband and I eat 3 homemade meals most days and we eat fish, which is more costly than meat these days! I spend at least $600 a month.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I spend about a $120 a month on groceries. I am a meat eater so some of that is also going to buying lean cuts but I also love fish and found it is cheapest to buy in a large freezer pack containing 6-12 pieces. (about $6 at Walmart) I am also fortunate to have a farmers market close by. Everything there is organic and not badly priced. I find I spend way less when I shop there for organic produce than a supermarket. Walmart also has some fairly priced organics, but you have to be willing to hunt for them. Found pre-washed organic spinach there on Monday...$2 bucks! Walmart also has cage free, no hormone, grain fed chicken...only $4 (3 boneless, skineless breasts).

Oh and my cals are set at 1230 daily and I live alone...no children. My boyfriend comes over to eat sometimes, but only when I make something that isn't fish...lol!
  • sstuts
    sstuts Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We spend around 300-400 for two adults, a three year old and a one year old. We shop at Aldi's for everything except if we can't find it there. I'm at 1450 calories per day. I get snacks for the kids, healthy snacks for us when we are at work, lunches and breakfasts for the weekends, and suppers. The kids do eat breakfast and lunch during the week at daycare so that helps some on money and time! I love fruits so I always get bananas, mangos, and blueberries(<<<freeze them) for me. The girls love "sticky thingys" or rice crispy treats so we always stock up on those. My husband and I both like cottage cheese. We get cheese snacks as well. For supper it's usually chicken or salmon and steamed veggies. We have pots and pans made by Prestige that cook frozen meats and steam frozen veggies in one pan in less than an hour so it's a little easier for us. I also love to cook so I make my husband's favorite meatloaf every now and then and we can eat leftovers for lunch for two days afterwards. The trick it to get food that fill you up, have few ingredients (if you make it yourself), and can be made quickly. The mango is the only fruit that has to be cut. We get instant pudding that is sugar free, has 25 calories per serving, and it's less than a dollar for two packs which lasts us a week. I get whipped topping (Cool Whip) for a dollar a tub and keep it frozen to eat like ice cream. 35 calories for 3 tablespoons which is really too much. For breakfast Kevin and I make sausage, egg, and cheese english muffins. All purchased at Aldi. The sausage and egg take 60 seconds each in the microwave, muffin in the toaster and in less than 3 minutes you have a hearty, hot breakfast for around 350 calories that you barely had to work for.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    About $600, 6 of us including the baby. Me , the 23 year old and his gf with their baby and my two youngest, 13,12.
    Meat eaters as well. I eat 1875 cals a day. I spend about $400 up front then make small runs to the store the rest of month. Milk,bread,veggies. I'm paid once a month is why.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I spend around $100 a month on groceries; looks like some people need to learn how to shop savings and lay off pointless name brands and expensive junk food...

Some people need to take in account where you live can and does greatly affect food prices.
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    We spend about $150 a week for a family of 5.

This is us when my husband is home. When it's just me and the kids (hubs usually works out of town 5-6 days per week) I can spend anywhere from $75-$125 depending on how well stocked we are and what's on sale. We have 2 adults, and a 10, 3 & 2 yo.

I typically don't coupon because I've found it's mostly processed foods, which we are trying to cut back on. I shop and stock up when something is on sale, but shopping around is difficult because we live in a small town with one grocery store and the next closest town is over 20 miles away. Going to the next town over to comparison shop wouldn't save me anything since the cost of gas I'd use getting there would equal whatever $ I might be saving.

ETA: The above figure does NOT include toiletries, paper or cleaning products or pull-ups for my younger ones.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am on 1500 calories a day. I have 3 kids, two of which are teenagers. I spend $400 a month on food. We eat a lot of veggies, I buy in bulk and when meat is on sale I stock up. I also grow veggies and freeze or can them.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I spend around $100 a month on groceries; looks like some people need to learn how to shop savings and lay off pointless name brands and expensive junk food...

Oh PLEASE come visit me and show me how to shop better, since you obiviously know better then me. We do buy "pointless brand names" for some things. Want to know why? Because the things we buy need to be dairy and soy free. Do you know who HARD it is to find dairy/soy free at all, never mind finding them cheap. And then add in that we live in a part of the country where everything costs more to begin with. Oh, and we don't buy "expensive junk foods" often.

So before you get all judgemental about how much others pay, maybe stop and think for a minute that just becuase something works for YOU, doesn't mean its what will work for everyone else.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I'm geustimating its around $250--300 for two adults...one of us eating lower carb, heavier on protein. I eat lunch for free at work occasionally, and have also joined a food co-op recently that helps a lot with produce expenses.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    How much do you spend on groceries per month?

Please also include your calorie target and whether you are a meat eater, pescatarian, vegetarian, or vegan.

About $200 a week for my family of 3. We eat a lot of chicken breast, I go through 10.5 lbs a week myself. I'm eating about 3100 - 3200 calories daily.
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    600+ month for 4 (2 kids 2 & 7). 2100 cals. for me. My husband also eats out for lunch a few days a week so I'm sure it' be a little more if he didn't.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    About $500 a month for the two of us, but that also includes Dog Food and other toiletries. We eat red meat about once a week and the rest of the week is chicken or seafood (or occasionally vegetarian). We enjoy trying new recipes and don't skimp on money for quality. I eat 1650+ exercise daily and mom doesn't keep track.

The next week will be a bit higher because I need to stock up on some meat. I am down to just a bit of chicken and some ground beef in the freezer. Need some salmon, steaks, and more chicken.
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    Oh PLEASE come visit me and show me how to shop better, since you obiviously know better then me. We do buy "pointless brand names" for some things. Want to know why? Because the things we buy need to be dairy and soy free. Do you know who HARD it is to find dairy/soy free at all, never mind finding them cheap. And then add in that we live in a part of the country where everything costs more to begin with. Oh, and we don't buy "expensive junk foods" often.

So before you get all judgemental about how much others pay, maybe stop and think for a minute that just becuase something works for YOU, doesn't mean its what will work for everyone else.

Looks like you have a lot of growing up to do if you get that upset over what I said. I wasn't judging anyone with my comment, merely stating that some people are overspending. I live somewhere where prices are more expensive for things as well, so before YOU get judgmental and overreact towards me maybe you should know my circumstances as well. It's a matter of buying what you NEED and not what you WANT; like I said, grow up.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    $300-$375 per month, for a couple. I eat 1,500 per day. BF eats about 2,000-2,200 per day. BF eats meat, I try not too.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    abt 800-1000
    fam of 4
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    About $70 a week for 2 adults. Tons of fresh veggies, boneless skinless chicken breast and condiments make up the bulk of our spending. Its alot less since we moved from NC to CA. Bizarre!
  • JConstine
    JConstine Posts: 69
    Options
    $80-150 per month for two adults, meat not included. My boyfriend's mom buys our meat because she knows the butcher and gets good deals.

I eat 1350-1730 kcals a day (when I am on target). I don't know how much he eats but it's more than I do.