any vegans or vegetarians?

Options
124»

Replies

• DeenaSueW
    DeenaSueW Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Glad to hear that you are working on healthier eating :)
    I have a blog that I post recipes and other vegan information on. I am vegan (mostly vegan, I eat fish once in awhile, but only wild caught - for the omegas) and love to cook... and eat! www.PainFreeVegan.com is the website. I am always happy to veganize any recipes that you might have in mind also... just email it to me on the site and I will see what I come up with. Good luck!
  • lucylAnneMason
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian, I still eat fish, but i've only recently started to eat fish again, but I haven't eaten any meat since I was 11 =)
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been pescatarian (I eat fish, but no meat) for over ten years. I don't eat an awful lot of fish - but I know I would really miss it, if I was to cut it out completely. I do quite a lot of vegan baking though. Feel free to add me and snoop at my diary :) x
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hello there. WOW that sound sooo yummmy I dont know how to cook tofu any tips??
    I'm vegetarian, and have been for about 5 years.

I eat a fair bit of tofu - those who say they don't like tofu usually don't know how to cook it... it's very "neutral" on its own, it needs a good marinade and/or spices to make it really nice.

My favourite way to cook tofu at the moment is to take a block of firm tofu and get as much water out of it as possible with kitchen paper towels. Then I cut it into strips or cubes, and marinade in a plastic container with some Japanese rice vinegar, soy sauce and garlic/chilli/whatever spices you like. Leave them to marinade for about 30 mins, up to an hour. Then arrange onto a baking sheet into a preheated oven (350F or 180C - depends on how hot your oven gets, too) for about 40 minutes. Then leave in the oven (turned off) for another 10-15 minutes or so to dry up some more.

Nice on their own as a snack or in salads etc.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Before coming onto MFP (about 3 weeks ago) I didn't eat much in the way of 'fake meat' but since using the food diary and realising that my protein intake was really low I've added in more meat substitutes and tofu. I'm also having a low carb protein shake once a day (or more when I've done lots of exercise) to help boost it a bit.

Hi, I'm in the UK too. Which protein shake do you buy? I've been looking for a good UK brand of a vegetarian protein shake.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Before coming onto MFP (about 3 weeks ago) I didn't eat much in the way of 'fake meat' but since using the food diary and realising that my protein intake was really low I've added in more meat substitutes and tofu. I'm also having a low carb protein shake once a day (or more when I've done lots of exercise) to help boost it a bit.

Hi, I'm in the UK too. Which protein shake do you buy? I've been looking for a good UK brand of a vegetarian protein shake.

So far I've just had Precision Engineered from Holland and Barrett (I've tried vanilla and strawberry flavours) as it's been on special offer and easy for me to get locally. However I've done a bit of research and lots of people recommend Impact Whey Protein (from myprotein.com) which comes in a wide range of flavours and works out cheaper so I'll be trying that when I need to re-stock (although the summer fruit flavour contains cochineal so will be avoiding that one).
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 23 years.

I think it is possible to over think things. When I first became veggie, a vegetarian meal involved everything but the meat - so usually vegetables and potatoes, maybe eggs or cheese.

There is nothing wrong with meat substitutes, while a student I lived on what was then called TVP because it was cheap, it would now be called dried soya chunks or soya mince I suppose. You soaked it in water and had bolognese, lasagne, whatever with it.

The only meat substitute I have occasionally is Quorn Chicken Style Nuggets on days I want the equivalent of a "take out". I've never eaten real chicken nuggets so would have no idea if they taste like the real thing or not, therefore do not feel outrage about eating them.

I eat a lot of bulgar wheat and giant wholewheat couscous. I make variants on tabouleh for packed lunches. I eat dairy so I just add feta cheese to it.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm a new vegan, but loving it! I eat a lot of fruit/veggies, toast with peanut butter, potatoes and rice. I tried fake meats, and tofu, and I can't get myself to enjoy either (except soy bacon bits. I've always loved those). But I also don't think tofu/fake meats have to be part of a vegan diet. I do drink a protein shake (vega one) with soy milk to get some extra protein.
  • LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. Im a new vegan (still learning). So far lost 6lbs in 3 weeks of converting lol. I love it. I feel so light, clean and happy. Will probably be vegan forever now :)
  • sgorto
    sgorto Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been vegan a month and a half or so I think I haven't lost any weight, but that's a result of an eating disorder that I'm still dealing with. I certainly feel "lighter" and "fresher" though :)
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If anyone wants to add me they can! I LOVE all these ideas and sites!!
  • EdgeGoalie31
    EdgeGoalie31 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just found this website. www.theppk.com website of the Post Punk Kitchen cooking show. From the looks of it, it seems amazing!
  • iluv2laugh
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 6 months now haven't lost weight cuz i ain't vegan and i didn't eat that much meat b4 but i do feel better about not eating meat because i'm helping to save the poor animals well at least they aint going into my mouth lol i'm not really saving them :laugh:
  • elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan. I eat a lot of fruit, tofurkey, meatless canadian bacon, almond milk, soy cheese, rice cheese.
  • iluv2laugh
    Options
    I'm a vegan. I eat a lot of fruit, tofurkey, meatless canadian bacon, almond milk, soy cheese, rice cheese.
    Wow COOL maybe i should try it! do you think i could do it or is it really hard?