I found the holy grail of weight loss for lazy metabolisms

Options

Replies

• itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Is the calorie amount for net calories or calories consumed?
  • BlessedShauna777
    BlessedShauna777 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options
    bump
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    This thread is super long, so I'm sure someone else has responded. But this is almost 1000 calories MORE per day, even in the Extreme category than MFP gives me. I "get it" though and have read so much on fitness and nutrition my eyes go crossed, you'd think I'd be super healthy! HA! Anyway, I haven't lost a lb on here in about 5 months. I very rarely go over my calories. I stay EXACTLY the same, doesn't matter if I eat healthy or crappy, it stays the same. I've changed up exercise from a lot of cardio to weight training, and then a mix of both and still nothing. SO, I can't think any harm would be done by doing this! Well, at least for me! If anyone has any thoughts....send me a message!!!

MFP only gives you the minimum they feel you should net. MFP is NOT your diet plan.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    for those of you questioning about eating exercise calories back, here is my .02....

from the website "Try not to lower your calorie intake by more than 1000 calories below maintenance. Doing so may invoke the bodies starvation response, which can lead to the Yo-yo dieting effect."

I take this to mean if you green number at the end of the day (calories left) is more than 1000, then you need to eat more food until you have that number at 1000 or below until you net your calories for that day whether it be 1300 or 1800. For example if you have 1200 (in the green) left for the day, eat as close to 200 calories as possible to get to 1000. I don't personally think going over a 1000 a day or 2 here and there is going to hurt, but then again I am not a doctor or nutritionist.

Again just my opinion....

That green number should be nowhere near 1000. MFP builds the deficit in as though you didn't do extra exercise (outside of your activity level). So you already have a 250-1000 calorie deficit in there.

If you exercise above that 1000 calories for instance, you'd actually be in a 1250-2000 calorie deficit following that advice.
  • jessicamiller8884
    jessicamiller8884 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    want to read more later!
  • Nenabobena
    Nenabobena Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she just added a "faux workout" to the charts each day to up the calorie count so that it would show what she wanted.

You explained so well! That's exactly what I did to reflect the changes on mfp :)
  • NewMoi1
    NewMoi1 Posts: 36
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • ewhitehurst1
    ewhitehurst1 Posts: 178
    Options
    bump
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Im going to check it out!
  • teelt13
    teelt13 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Nenabobena
    Options
    Here is question, probably a stupid question, but if I am following this are these my NET calories or my total calories consumed. There for I would NOT be eating back exercise calories...Correct??

Not a stupid question at all. When you calculate your zig zag calories you are already including your WEEKLY activity level so you just eat the number of calories that it tells you. You don't need to add nor eat any other exercise calories.
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    bump
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    for those of you questioning about eating exercise calories back, here is my .02....

from the website "Try not to lower your calorie intake by more than 1000 calories below maintenance. Doing so may invoke the bodies starvation response, which can lead to the Yo-yo dieting effect."

I take this to mean if you green number at the end of the day (calories left) is more than 1000, then you need to eat more food until you have that number at 1000 or below until you net your calories for that day whether it be 1300 or 1800. For example if you have 1200 (in the green) left for the day, eat as close to 200 calories as possible to get to 1000. I don't personally think going over a 1000 a day or 2 here and there is going to hurt, but then again I am not a doctor or nutritionist.

Again just my opinion....

That green number should be nowhere near 1000. MFP builds the deficit in as though you didn't do extra exercise (outside of your activity level). So you already have a 250-1000 calorie deficit in there.

If you exercise above that 1000 calories for instance, you'd actually be in a 1250-2000 calorie deficit following that advice.

She's talking about zig zagging not mfp
  • morningsun3112
    morningsun3112 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • Nenabobena
    Options
    I've been kind of doing this myself and it was working until I started working out again. Now I've gained 3lbs in a week and want to scream. Maybe this will help me be a little more structured with it and hopefully I'll see results. When you do this are you really exercising or saying you're exercising so you know to eat more? If you're really working out over the zig-zag calories are you eating back your exercise calories? I'm getting frustrated...I lose about 5lbs a month but it all seems to come off at once and I spend the rest of the month up and down and trying to keep it off.

I don't eat back any other exercise calories. When you get your weekly calorie zig zag schedule, your exercise is already included. Hope that helps!
  • JonesJM8
    JonesJM8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sounds promising. I will check it out.
  • PurpleGyrl13
    PurpleGyrl13 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Interesting....will have to investigate more.
  • surimurphy
    surimurphy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Gonna try it...Im at a plateau and need to do something