What the H3LL am I supposed to eat to meet 2500 cals?

Options
124»

Replies

• m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Keep this somewhere so you can adjust your goals as you lose.

The other rule of thumb I've heard a lot around here is to not eat less than your BMR - which makes sense as that's the amount of calories your body needs for basic survival.

How do you figure not to eat less than your BMR? My taget Calories to eat is 1440 to lose 2lbs a week. My BMR is 1,964.

Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    My maintenance calories are in the 2500 net range -- other than skim milk (I don't like milk and REALLY don't like full fat milk! *gag*) I buy full fat stuff. No light sour cream or cottage cheese or whatever. It has more calories in it. So, unless you simply prefer the taste of a "light" item, buy the full items.

Nuts - almonds have almost 200 calories for a serving. Easy to get your calories in AND give your body some of the good fats! :)
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Keep this somewhere so you can adjust your goals as you lose.

The other rule of thumb I've heard a lot around here is to not eat less than your BMR - which makes sense as that's the amount of calories your body needs for basic survival.

How do you figure not to eat less than your BMR? My taget Calories to eat is 1440 to lose 2lbs a week. My BMR is 1,964.

Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours.

Eating less than your BMR can be counter productive. Your body needs a basic number of calories JUST TO LIVE - when you are giving it less than those basic calories, it starts to freak out and wonder when it is going to receive the proper amount of food. Now, this does not happen in one day or even one week - but, ask all the people out there that have done low calorie diets and I bet they'll tell you to avoid doing them. You shouldn't create your deficit off your BMR - it should be created off your TDEE (which is your total daily energy expenditure). Eating below your BMR MAY be working for you now, but there will come a point when your body begins to retaliate against it.
  • Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Why so many calories? And why 1 lb? Watched The Biggest Loser recently? It's so RIGHT!!! You could be losing up to half a stone a week perfectly healthily on those calories. The 1 lb and 2 lb per week ratios are set by big weight loss companies to make sure you keep coming back (and their diets are set to ensure that you do!!). If your meal plan is balanced then you barely need to count the calories (it's simply a good way to learn about right and wrong foods and portion sizes - it's not about 'dieting'!). What you want to look at is the balance of protein and carbs in your diet. The carbs should be mostly complex and wheat-based breads/rices/pasta minimal (keep them for your workout days). Otherwise - great suggestions on here for really healthy nutritional foods but if you're not hungry don't eat them - so long as your balance of protein/carbs/fats is right. Just by being on here and logging your food you've taken the biggest step towards losing that weight - now give yourself a reward by losing those first couple of stone as fast as YOUR body dictates. Eat right and give your body credit for the rest - it'll do what it's supposed to do. Everybody's different and your journey will be entirely different to the next person's. Be excited by it, enjoy it, be motivated, eat right, don't ever go under 1200 and you'll be the person you've always wanted to be in no time at all. Remember, you ARE amazing!!
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I ate the calories & lost weight ... Don't let the high count scare you! I recommend talking to your doctor rather tan relying on nonprofessional advise. Make this lifelong meaning don't view it as a diet & restrict yourself. I love cake so if I want it, I eat it then deal with balancing my exercise & caloric intake around it. Good luck!
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know where I can find an accurate TDEE calculator? I used this one and it says my TDEE is 3017

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • ae2rigc
    ae2rigc Posts: 37
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Different equations to use (optional) so read the whole page before deciding.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know where I can find an accurate TDEE calculator? I used this one and it says my TDEE is 3017

That's pretty accurate. Remember TDEE is maintaince calories.

Please ignore anyone who is giving you advice based on the biggest loser.

Definitely go for 2lb a week weight loss. When I was 300lb I was eating 1800 calories. Nothing wrong wih eating more if it's a deficit. But what you're eating is a healthy amount don't force feed yourself.
  • chevy88grl
    Options

I personally use Fitness Frog and it is pretty darn accurate for me (it says my TDEE is 2449 and I can easily maintain while consuming 2300-2500 NET calories a day) . Remember that your TDEE is ALL the calories you're burning in a day - normal activity AND exercise.