"Don't Get Too Skinny"

Options
I've lost 27 pounds since January and I've recently started getting the "Don't Get Too Skinny" comments. I had a co-worker ask me just now if my intention was to shrink away so that people couldn't see me anymore. I'm 5'6 and currently weigh 162 so I'm not in danger of disappearing anytime soon. Then he asked me how much more weight I wanted to lose? I made the mistake of giving a number. I told him about 15 pounds and he reacted like I was crazy and told me not to get all sickly. Seriously, 147 pounds is sickly? He's the second or third person to say something along these lines. Next time someone asks me what my goals are I will not give a number. I'll just say to be healthy. I'm not angry I just think it's surprising is all. Anyone else get these sorts of comments?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've had these comments pop up fairly often, usually from people skinnier than my goal weight. I know some of it is jealousy (I had a close friend drunkenly try to convince me to stop dieting before I'm smaller than she is). I know most people who say it are well meaning, but sometimes it annoys me when I get ambushed with comments to quit.
  • sophiathedss
    sophiathedss Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    YES! I have resorted to just saying...I still have a few more pounds to go to get to a healthy weight...period. I am by no means "skinny" and I have to laugh sometimes when I get that...lol

11269213.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot and I just tell them - I am not where I want to be, but I will be sure to send a memo to you when I get there.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    I know. i hate it when people say that. "oh don't get too skinny." "Your starting to look too skinny, like your sick" "You don't want to lose all your curves." ugh. drives me nuts. i'm gonna get down to the weight i'm happy with no matter what other people think. i think half the time when people say stuff like that, is that they might be jealous.
  • Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Used to get that too (hoping to start getting it again).

Just remind them that you are not getting "skinny", you are getting healthy.

If they bug beyond that, then just walk away.

Cheers,

- Bill
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I kinda wish i got those comments! Lol x
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Just smile and wave...just smile and wave.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    My husband tells me this all the time. I think he is just afraid I am going to lose my butt and boobs. :laugh:
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have gotten this comments A LOT lately. Hilarious because, my initial goal weight is 170. In what world is that skinny? But when I tell people I have 30 pounds to go they just tell me that they don't think I have 30 pounds left on my body! Such a change from when people were telling me that I should lose weight.. Just gotta remember that we're doing this for us, and no one else!
  • phee03r
    phee03r Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just think people are so used to you being at a certain weight, and then when you lose a significant amount, their brains read "too small". If they didn't know you and saw you for the first time at your current weight they wouldn't think "too skinny" when they saw you.

If had this before. I have small wrists and when I lose weight people start to notice them more ( even though they've always been tiny) and think I've gotten too small.
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is bigger than I was at my starting weight. Her latest comment to me was "You are going to get too thin to be friends with me!"

Really? :huh: You think I am that shallow?
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    People think they're flattering you when really, it's insulting. Like...are they blind or do they think I'm stupid? I just smile and nod. The people who care about me respect and encourage my goals. The general public just.doesn't.get.it.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    i get the same thing! im still on the "high" end or normal for a 5'7 woman. id like to be 139-143lbs. its not sickly at all!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Oh .. YES. Gotta love it. I just smile and say .. NO WORRIES, I won't !
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get that often (today, for instance, i got the double whammy: You're getting too skinny, you're not sick, are you?). I do not have a smarty pants comeback though, I just smile and say: I know where I want to be, don't you worry about it, k?
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I get it often. I got the "you are too skinny" when i started trying to loose weight at 140 (my usual weight is 120-130 but i packed it on when my hubby deployed). Now i have dropped to 126 and people seem to think i'm crazy or anorexic. I eat almost 1500 cals a day and am healthy. Do what you feel is right for your body, their words prob come from jealousy.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I'd be really annoyed too. I think it's really rude for someone to ask someone else how much weight they want to lose... :noway: and rude to act like they get to tell you how much you should way :tongue:
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just smile and wave...just smile and wave.

^ This is what I do...although sometimes I only use one finger.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I had a conversation with a friend I hadn't seen in a while that went something like this: "Wow, you look great! Seriously though... You're done right? Cuz you're good... Don't lose anymore." Really?
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I just tell them what i weigh and what i'm wanting to weigh. then i tell them to look online for guidelines for healthy weight. that usually makes them think. maybe they are just trying to justify their own weight.