How do you deal with a buffet on a diet?

Options
124»

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I would just figure out maintenance cals and for that day be at maintenance. It takes some pressure off since you think, well, I am not losing today, but can get back to it tomorrow.
    I am probably going to a buffet in Vegas and, sorry, I do not pay $45 to stick to salad:tongue:
    But if it is like a wedding or other buffet event I think that is good advice.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've never cared for buffets, so its really not a big issue for me.

I would treat it like a menu.. Walk around, see what's available, decide on what you'd like and if its high calorie, balance it out by eating smaller portions or by making the rest of your meal veggies.

I only make one trip, unless I do a salad and then a entree.

Share a dessert.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    With my mouth. I know no other way.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I love to go to buffets. In fact I just had Sweet Tomatoes yesterday. After I filled my plate with a little bit of ceasar salad, I came back and grabbed a small scoop of this, and a small scoop of that... enough so I could taste and enjoy, but no more than 1/4 cup each. My friends commented saying "woah, sorry we should have chosen a place you liked more" My response: "I like this place a lot, I just like to taste everything"

I ended up going back twice each time getting tastes of everything. I was full by the end, and after logging the cals.. I noticed it was still around 600 cals.

Like I told my friends.. it's easier for me to control my portions when I don't have a set entree in front of me. If I am served a burger and fries, I feel like I have to eat it all..
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to be going to a buffet on Friday with my friend who I haven't seen in a few months. I'm planning on eating lots of the salad and just having very small portions of the other things I want to try. I used to eat far too much at buffets and eat until I was stuffed but I've learnt now not to do that so hopefully I will be alright, definitely going to try and burn the calories off on Friday night or over the weekend.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    ATTACK IT!

YES!
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If i go to a Chinese buffet.... i get the fresh vegetables and the meat that they stir-fry while you wait ....i try to measure it out in my head...how many ounces/cups ...then log it.....you can get a very filling plate that way !

Other buffets...have not attempted yet.....try to log as best as you can.....maybe eat a bit lighter that morning and afternoon.....if it is your afternoon meal...have a light dinner. Usually they have alot of fruit/salads and stuff....try to stay away from fried...

But overall enjoy yourself....if you want to eat over....one day is not going to kill you....one day did not make anyone overweight.......its the everyday ..day after day ....that made any unhealthy person that way.....

San :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Don't look at me.
  • bhayes82
    bhayes82 Posts: 37
    Options
    Simple: Don't go to a ****ing buffet. Food that sits out for hours is not quality food. If I'm going to pay someone to prepare a meal for me, it had damn well better be fresh.

If you're going to cheat and load up on calories, at least make it worth it.

I'm probably in the wrong place as a foodie, and I'm usually not one to make such blanket statements, but... nobody should ever set foot in a buffet — not just dieters, I'm talking about everyone. They're awful — everything from the $4.99 all-you-can-eat special to the buffet at that prestigious country club. They're all crap. Eat real food.

Next up: Olive Garden.

/rant
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I just went to one today for a retirement lunch. Learn from my mistakes...
    -Just because you take a small amount doesn't mean it doesn't all add up (almost 20 items eaten and only 3 were over 100 calories), you can take a small amount but only of a few things
    -I filled up on veggies instead of dessert because I haven't had celery sticks in forever and it was almost as satisfying
    -Olives are bad!! I didn't realize those tiny balls of taste were so horrible in terms of size vs calories)

Take a look at my food diary (June 6) if you want an idea of how I ate and what you shouldn't do...