whey protein shake ideas

Options
amoeni1
amoeni1 Posts: 87 Member
I recently purchased some whey protein to try to add in more protein. Today I tried it with frozen berries and greek yogurt, it tasted okay but I know there have to be better recipes out there. My protein powder is Jillian Michaels vanilla whey protein.

Replies

• Bluescat1
    Bluescat1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I make mine with fresh blueberries & bananas, I like the taste.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I don't use Body By Vi BUT...you can google their shake recipes and use it for your whey protein. I use some of those for my protein powder and I have vanilla as well. I found a document out there with 100 different types of shakes you could make. Most of them sounded great. I've done a few and they were good.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I prefer to get flavored varieties that taste amazing on their own. Myofusion Probiotic series and Muscle Gauge American Isolate are both brands that have a wide variety of delicious flavors that taste amazing as-is. Mmmm Cinnamon Bun flavor...
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Why play with your food? Buy a good flavor take out 2 scoops then add in some water and slam it down. :drinker:
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    In a blender: add 1 scoop Gold Standard Whey Vanilla, 1 scoop Click Mocha, 8 oz of water, 1/2 banana & spoonful of peanut butter
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Why play with your food? Buy a good flavor take out 2 scoops then add in some water and slam it down. :drinker:

Definitely the only way to drink that IS to slam it down. I had mine with just water yesterday and will never have it that way again!

I use chocolate whey protein powder but I'm sure this recipe would be great with vanilla, too.

Brazilian Breakfast Smoothie. 1 Scoop Chocolate Whey Protein powder, 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt, 1/4 teaspoon banana extract, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 3/4 cup blueberries, ice for desired consistency. I used frozen blueberries and no ice. Delish.
  • rexzmumu
    rexzmumu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i added ice, one sweetner, 1/2 cup almond milk and vanilla instant coffee, blend - frozen latte (kinda) lol
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a couple that I use.

I ALWAYS start with frozen fruit and Milk....no water, not fresh fruit. I like my shakes THICK and full flavored.

#1 1/2 Cup Frozen straw Berries
    1 cup 2% Milk
    1 Scoop Protein

#2 1/4 Cup Frozen Strawberries
    1/4 Cup Frozen Banana Slices
    1 Cup 2% Milk
    1 Scoop Protein

#3 1/2 Cup Frozen Bananas
    1 tbs Natural Peanut Butter
    1 Cup 2% Milk
    1 Scoop Protein

#4 1/2 Cup Frozen Blue Berries
    1 Cup 2% Milk
    1 Scoop Protein

One thing to note is I have a NINJA Drink Maker. Its the most amazing blender I have ever had. It will blend everything to a smooth texture in about 30 seconds (or 30 pulses). I make the same recipes above minus the protein for the kids and they LOVE them.

Denise
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I just made a good one. I have Optimum Nutrition vanilla ice cream flavored whey protein. I've used the french vanilla creme flavor and that's good too.

1 scoop protein powder
    1T Peanut Butter and Co dark chocolate dreams peanut butter
    5 frozen strawberries
    1/2 cup skim milk + 1/2 cup water (or you could use straight milk or straight water)

I make them with peanut butter (regular or chocolate) and 1/2 frozen banana a lot too--but I'm out of bananas right now so I tried strawberries today. It was really good.
  • Davisj131
    Davisj131 Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to add a spoon of frozen minute maid orange juice and a little vanilla extract. It is like a dreamsicle. I also mad it with the Silk vanilla soy milk.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I used the JM protein powder in the vanilla flavor and wow! I couldn't believe she would put her name on it. I really didn't like it. I very much enoyed the Advocare Chocolate Shakes but they are kind of pricey.

My ultimate choice ended up being BSN Lean Dessert Protein in Whipped Vanilla Flavor or Chocolate Fudge Pudding Flavor. You can get a container on Amazon.com that has about 18 singe scoop servings (recommended for women) for less than $17 if you choose subscribe and save. I currently do that and I mix it with 10 oz. of Pure Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk - Vanilla and breakfast is just under 200 calories and I'm full til my morning snack.
  • HauteHauteMami
    HauteHauteMami Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The JM whey is not so tasty. I use Vanilla Isopure and its great with milk and a half of a banana . . .
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've used to drink the stuff all the time back in the day. Compared to how it used to be, I can drink it straight.... If I want to load it up, milk and PB is the only stuff I'll add... But, I only drink chocolate.
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    "Reese's Cup" Smoothie: Protein Powder, Vanilla Almond MIlk, Cocoa Powder (or a few squares of dark chocolate), and peanut butter.

Tropical Smoothie: Protein Powder, Vanilla Almond Milk, 1/4 cup fresh mango slices, 1/2 cup fresh pineapple, 1/2 cup coconut water (or milk)
  • bloomiesgirl
    bloomiesgirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use the JM chocolate protein powder. My protein shake is:

1/2 an avocado
    1 small banana
    8oz of unsweetened chocolate or vanilla almond milk
    ice
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options

ditto. food is fuel.

don't forget to add a scoop of whey to your morning shakelogy.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    1c. orange juice or .5c. orange juice .5c water
    1 scoop vanilla protien powder
    blend with ice
    Taste like an orange julious!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Definitely the only way to drink that IS to slam it down. I had mine with just water yesterday and will never have it that way again!

I use chocolate whey protein powder but I'm sure this recipe would be great with vanilla, too.

Brazilian Breakfast Smoothie. 1 Scoop Chocolate Whey Protein powder, 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt, 1/4 teaspoon banana extract, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 3/4 cup blueberries, ice for desired consistency. I used frozen blueberries and no ice. Delish.

Sounds to me like too many people are buying into Jillian's crap and not trying out the brands known to make great tasting shake mixes. Try some Myofusion Probiotic series. WAY better than the JM crap. Tastes amazing with just water.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options

Sounds to me like too many people are buying into Jillian's crap and not trying out the brands known to make great tasting shake mixes. Try some Myofusion Probiotic series. WAY better than the JM crap. Tastes amazing with just water.

I use Body Fortress, not Jillian Michaels.

I'm really liking the "Reese's Cup" idea. I may try that in the morning. Yumm!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I have MRM - vanilla but if I have it in the morning I have to have it in a smoothie form or my stomach doesn't handle it well. At night after working out I can mix it with water or milk and drink it no problem.