whey protein shake ideas

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Why play with your food? Buy a good flavor take out 2 scoops then add in some water and slam it down. :drinker:

Definitely the only way to drink that IS to slam it down. I had mine with just water yesterday and will never have it that way again!

I use chocolate whey protein powder but I'm sure this recipe would be great with vanilla, too.

Brazilian Breakfast Smoothie. 1 Scoop Chocolate Whey Protein powder, 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt, 1/4 teaspoon banana extract, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 3/4 cup blueberries, ice for desired consistency. I used frozen blueberries and no ice. Delish.

Sounds to me like too many people are buying into Jillian's crap and not trying out the brands known to make great tasting shake mixes. Try some Myofusion Probiotic series. WAY better than the JM crap. Tastes amazing with just water.

I use Body Fortress, not Jillian Michaels.

I'm really liking the "Reese's Cup" idea. I may try that in the morning. Yumm!

The Walmart crap? Just as bad. Try the stuff that a GNC would sell.
  • marija88
    marija88 Posts: 7
    Options
    Throw in a TBSP of low fat cream cheese with some frozen berries... SOOO good, tastes like cheesecake!!!
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Throw in a cup of raw oatmeal. Or half a cup.
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I make mine with one scoop of vanilla almond whey, one banana, one orange, and a cup of water with some ice. Mix it in a blender, and you have a good breakfast or treat. =)
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    bump
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Why play with your food? Buy a good flavor take out 2 scoops then add in some water and slam it down. :drinker:

Definitely the only way to drink that IS to slam it down. I had mine with just water yesterday and will never have it that way again!

I use chocolate whey protein powder but I'm sure this recipe would be great with vanilla, too.

Brazilian Breakfast Smoothie. 1 Scoop Chocolate Whey Protein powder, 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt, 1/4 teaspoon banana extract, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 3/4 cup blueberries, ice for desired consistency. I used frozen blueberries and no ice. Delish.

Sounds to me like too many people are buying into Jillian's crap and not trying out the brands known to make great tasting shake mixes. Try some Myofusion Probiotic series. WAY better than the JM crap. Tastes amazing with just water.

I use Body Fortress, not Jillian Michaels.

I'm really liking the "Reese's Cup" idea. I may try that in the morning. Yumm!

The Walmart crap? Just as bad. Try the stuff that a GNC would sell.

I don't think the "Walmart crap" tastes too bad....

Try adding it to greek yogurt....Mmmmm
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Cookies and cream protein powder, frozen banana, PB and almond milk all blending to a smooth milkshake texture = NOM

(Also add some oats at breakfast time too :wink: )

AND after trying a lot of different brands, Gaspari nutrition comes out top for me, any Myofusion powder mixes and tastes great. (not tried the plain chocolate)
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options

I like it just like this as well.. just add lotsa ice.
  • hazeleyedgirl86
    hazeleyedgirl86 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have used both vanilla and chocolate and usually replace the protein shake as my breakfast. I lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks doing this! I also do different recipes and change it up alot. I have made a greek yogurt strawberry mix with vanilla protein. Used no sugar orange jello mix mixed with vanilla protein shake to make like a orange creamsicle shake. It's sooo delicious.

Here a few websites you could check out which offer great tasting and different protein shake recipes for every day variety use!!!

http://fatlossschool.com/76-protein-shake-recipes/

http://locarbolicious.com/protein-shake-recipes/

http://mollygalbraith.com/blog/my-favorite-protein-shake-recipes/
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    I use the single koolaid/crystal light type powders. It kind of adds a dreamscicle effect. Like orange for example--orange dreamscile. The ones I have (Kroger light) are only 5 calories per stick.

Fruit is awesome but it does have that fruit seed sadness at the bottom and sometimes the fruit can be sour--a dash of no-calorie sweetener can help.

Cinnamon is awesome--makes a horchata type drink. About a teaspoon or so. I take cinnamon capsules so I just open one and pour in.

I buy the cinnamon and sugar mixture for foods and I used that once and it tasted like Cinnamon toast crunch milk (yes I drink out of the bowel)

https://www.goherbalife.com/sabrina/en-US/Page/136 <<also has some recipes for shakes.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    Any ideas on how I can make a relatively low cal protein shake so thick that I have no choice but to eat it with a spoon? Ice doesn't seem to get the desired thickness/texture.

I noticed that casein protein thickens up a lot more, but I recently switched to whey.
  • stefanie1990
    stefanie1990 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1 or 2 Cookie and cream whey protein
    200ml skimmed milk
    1/2 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter

If you use 1/2 banana there is no need for milk as the banana when blended becomes thick
  • hazeleyedgirl86
    hazeleyedgirl86 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When looking for a protein powder, look for one that has 20-26 grams of protein and no less than 3 g of sugar. I loooooove the protein shake by six star triple chocloate.

I have a recipe you could use:

1 scoop protein powder
    1 Cup Almond Milk (Preferrably unsweetened)
    1 tbsp of instant coffee
    5 ice cubes

Mix in a blender, serve in a chilled glass. Enjoy!!!

or the Peanutbutter cup:

1 Scoop Protein powder
    1 Cup Almond Milk (less calories than real milk and better tasting in my opinion)
    1 Tbsp Peanut butter (or I like Wow!Butter (which is a soy substitute and tastes just like peanutbutter)
    1 stp no sugar chocolate syrup
    5 ice cubes

blend in blender and Enjoy.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tdelo7634
    tdelo7634 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    1 cup almond mik
    1 bananna
    1 cup blueberries
    1 tsp peanutbutter
    2 tablespoons flax seed
    1 scoop Optimum Chocolate Whey

Cal/Carb/Fat/Protein/Fiber

518/67/17/34/10
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Here's my morning shake ritual. I use a food scale so my measurements are in grams... sorry.

Fresh organic baby spinach leaves (you cannot taste it at all) 30 to 35 grams (about two handfulls)
    Strawberries 65 -75 grams (about 5 or 6 medium)
    Blueberries 80-95 grams (about two handfulls)
    Blackberries 80 grams (about one handful)
    1 scoop of vanilla whey protien
    1 cup of almond milk
    1 cup of ice and water together

This mornings cal content was 270 with loads of fiber (12 grams). 35g of carbs and 24g of protein.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I used Nature's Best Low Carb Isopure Dutch Chocolate (much cheaper off Amazon than getting it at GNC!)
    I put a banana and Goya Frozen Grated Coconut flakes in and mix it all up with a little water in a blender with ice and crush it all up. Lovely ChocoBananaCoconut frozen frappe!
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Any ideas on how I can make a relatively low cal protein shake so thick that I have no choice but to eat it with a spoon? Ice doesn't seem to get the desired thickness/texture.

I noticed that casein protein thickens up a lot more, but I recently switched to whey.

Crushed ice.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Try freezing some fruit: bananas work well, but if you are looking for lower calories, try berries (strawberries or blueberries). Frozen greek yogurt might work too, but I've never tried that.
  • Laurenelle11
    Options
    add almond butter or oats! Great texture!

My fav is water, choc whey protein, banana, 1 tsp of natural peanut butter - super creamy.

Or, break up 1/2 of a chocolate protein bar (Oh Yeah brand are my fav) into a vanilla shake & it will taste just like an ice cream milk shake w/ candy in it.