First day on myfitnesspal today! Lesbian friendly?

Options

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

"I got most of my friends from that thread because we were all bashing the homophobes together :)"~
    WOW! That doesn't sound like tolerance to me!!!

Tolerance of others does not necessitate tolerance of hatred. It's standing up for the rights of ALL, not just sitting back and saying, "Oh, you hate an entire group of people just based on their sexual orientation, that's cute."

Sorry, I don't tolerate hate.
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Welcome we are all here to lose weight or to get healthier. :smile:
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

"I got most of my friends from that thread because we were all bashing the homophobes together :)"~

Tolerance of others does not necessitate tolerance of hatred. It's standing up for the rights of ALL, not just sitting back and saying, "Oh, you hate an entire group of people just based on their sexual orientation, that's cute."

That's what I meant. Tolerant people shouldn't tolerate hate.
  • aplusgeek
    aplusgeek Posts: 49
    Options
    Just checked my fitness textbook and yup it doesn't say a thing about lesbians in it. Strange cause when I think of fitness or nutrition the first (last) thing that pops into mind is sexual orientation....

Btw, had you not said whether you are gay, lesbian or straight do you think anyone would have cared? I think by proclaiming your sexual orientation you simply bring unnecessary and may I say >completely< irrelevant attention to yourself.

I'm sure me and 99% of the people on here are here for fitness and nutritional purposes. I know that the people I support in my little network of friends, I have no interest in what their sexual orientation is, I only care what their fitness goals are and help them in my own little way by encouraging them along.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

That's what I meant. Tolerant people shouldn't tolerate hate.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you, actually. I guess that didn't translate well to text.
  • TheChosenOne_
    Options
    Eh, You shouldn't have told your sexuality to everyone. Keep it a secret, or you'll get discriminated
    -Straight Guy
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    Just checked my fitness textbook and yup it doesn't say a thing about lesbians in it. Strange cause when I think of fitness or nutrition the first (last) thing that pops into mind is sexual orientation....

Btw, had you not said whether you are gay, lesbian or straight do you think anyone would have cared? I think by proclaiming your sexual orientation you simply bring unnecessary and may I say >completely< irrelevant attention to yourself.

Did you not read the thread? Several reasons why a person might want to volunteer that information. How much would it suck to have a bunch of people send you a friend request, and then you mention your partner in a status update and get hate from homophobes? And how many people on here talk about their heterosexual relationships? So non-hetero people should just keep their mouths shut, but heteros can flap their gums about their sexuality all they like? That doesn't make sense.
  • Ryathur
    Ryathur Posts: 16
    Options

Do you say that to the straights who proclaim they are married or have boyfriends/girlfriends?
  • impyimpyaj
    Options

Yeah, I was agreeing with you, actually. I guess that didn't translate well to text.

I thought maybe, but then I read my own comment and I worried that *I* wasn't being clear. :laugh:
  • aplusgeek
    Options
    I did read, and I think you didn't read what I wrote. It's completely irrelevant to me and I bet a lot of other people on here what peoples sexual orientation is. I am here for one purpose only, and that is to better myself.

Did you not read the thread? Several reasons why a person might want to volunteer that information. How much would it suck to have a bunch of people send you a friend request, and then you mention your partner in a status update and get hate from homophobes? And how many people on here talk about their heterosexual relationships? So non-hetero people should just keep their mouths shut, but heteros can flap their gums about their sexuality all they like? That doesn't make sense.
  • Carizz
    Carizz Posts: 1
    Options
    I think by saying gay friendly she was looking for others because thats 1 common ground to cover. Sad how bent out of shape somr are by a simple introduction she worded HER way!!! Theres introductions such as Im a single mom of 3..Im a.student...no 1 jumps on them. So many boast about America being so great at times you have to wonder is it..REALLY?! When you have to deal.with petty mess like this!!!
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    I did read, and I think you didn't read what I wrote. It's completely irrelevant to me and I bet a lot of other people on here what peoples sexual orientation is. I am here for one purpose only, and that is to better myself.

I did read what you wrote. And I'm simply answering your question as to why she would mention it.
  • avelline
    avelline Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was actually wondering this myself. I'm Sam. Nice to meet you :smile:

I'll be your friend!
  • aplusgeek
    Options
    It's completely irrelevant to me. And nobody here proclaimed they have any kind of partner or is married they stated that they are of a certain sexual orientation.

Do you say that to the straights who proclaim they are married or have boyfriends/girlfriends?
  • hope76579
    hope76579 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • impyimpyaj
    Options
    It's completely irrelevant to me. And nobody here proclaimed they have any kind of partner or is married they stated that they are of a certain sexual orientation.

It's good that it's irrelevant to you. But it's very relevant to many people. It's clearly relevant to her. So she mentioned it in hopes that she would find some people who can support her the way she needs to be supported. It's no different from a vegan asking for vegan friends, or a woman asking for female friends, or a stay-at-home mom asking for other stay-at-home mom friends. It's good to have commonalities with your support circle.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Eh, You shouldn't have told your sexuality to everyone. Keep it a secret, or you'll get discriminated
    -Straight Guy

I like your style :tongue:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Lesbian friendly!?! Really? Why do you automatically assume that people are going to discriminate against you? This is a weight loss and fitness forum,why would anyone even care about your gayness, anyways? Why even mention it?
    You obviously haven't seen the pure hatred towards gays and lesbians that has appeared on this forum. It was a big thing a while back. Very vile things.
    WAAAAHH!:sad:
    I see tons of hateful **** on these forums directed at every possible lifestyle, personality, gender, and size! I'm a low carber, myself and I can promise you that NO ONE is hated on here more than low carbers! Is MFP low carb friendly?????????

you should see the gastric bypass haters....they can freeze you out on a hot july morning.

But OP, welcome and good luck on your journey, feel free to add me should you wish to.

Lauren
  • Ryathur
    Ryathur Posts: 16
    Options

Straight people don't need to specify their orientation, because it is automatically assumed. That is why they can just say they are married or currently dating without having to specify it. However, they don't get this kind of grief when they chat about their relationships. Only those in non-hetero relationships get it.

Besides, the reason why she mentioned she was a lesbian was because she was looking for lesbian-friendly friends. That is the company she wants to keep. Whether you think it is irrelevant is, in itself, irrelevant.
  • aplusgeek
    Options
    Well have to agree to disagree. The way the original post is worded is not simply looking for friends with similar interests, it is worded in such a way that presupposes that discrimination will occur. Now I'm not going to argue the psychology behind this whole thing, cause basically I've reached the peak of my interest here.

Good day and peace out

It's good that it's irrelevant to you. But it's very relevant to many people. It's clearly relevant to her. So she mentioned it in hopes that she would find some people who can support her the way she needs to be supported. It's no different from a vegan asking for vegan friends, or a woman asking for female friends, or a stay-at-home mom asking for other stay-at-home mom friends. It's good to have commonalities with your support circle.