Burned out on Subway

Options

Replies

• Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have two fast food options. Panera bread, because they have healthier options and they list all their calories...plus, there is lots of variety and good coffee! My second is sushi. If I want a burger, sandwich or anything else thats fast-food like, I make it at home where I can control what goes in it!

Good luck with your hunt!
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've learned that making my own is the best way to go. yeah, it means I have to get up a little earlier in the morning; but you can't beat home made. BUT - when I do go out for lunch; Quiznos salads are a pretty good option - just skip the dressing.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    For me Wendy's Chili is always a nice standby ... and if I'm more hungry I may even spurge on a small order of nuggets with the chili ... not great, but sure better than some things ... 440cals for a small chili and 5 piece nuggets ... could be worse!
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Love panera, but their food has a lot of sodium too. The salads are really good tho.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like ChikFilA's grilled chicken sandwich w honey bbq mustard or the chicken salad w fruit. But don't order the fries, they are impossible to resist!!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    Wait wait wait. Subway has drivethrus?

eveyrthing has drivethrus... i was in san diego recently and saw a drive thru pharmacy ffs... its weird!

Wait, what? Where are these Subways with the drivethrus?
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Baja Fresh has great low-calorie options that are delicious and also...fresh!
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    We have drive thru's at a couple corner stores around here
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    "It's not that bad" okay but it's also not particularly good. Nutritionally, Subway is about as empty as you can get.

Just make your own food... That's what I did. Yeah it's kind of a pain, BUT you have leftovers!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY not better on sodium, but the grilled chicken southwest salad at mcdonalds is really good. I get it with the dressing without the glaze, or with the glaze without the dressing. lol. I think it's about 350 calories.
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    My only fastfood that I really feel 'okay' about eating is Cultures which I've only seen in foodcourts. They're fabulous. All freshly made wraps and sandwiches and soups, great in calorie intake and they have a side bar comprised of fruit salad, veggies and a variety of all kinds of salads they're absolutely fabulous.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    Potbelly's -Grilled Chicken Cheddar Sandwhich

I usually get provolone on it because it cut down on cals, thank me later
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It's not really "fast" food, but I like Ruby Tuesday. They have a fantastic salad bar as well as a "light and fit" menu that has the calories for the food which are quite low.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I like the "Craft 2" menu at Qdoba. They have a meal builder on their website, so you can play around on there and figure out your best options. Its been a while since I've been there, but I think you can get a 1/2 naked burrito and 1/2 taco salad, both with pork, for < 450 calories.
  • topcat1975
    topcat1975 Posts: 10
    Options
    You can also get a Panda Bowl from Panda Express. Get half chow mein or fried rice and half steamed veggies and then your entree on it. Calories aren't bad for an entire meal.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I eat way too much fast food.....While it's not ideal you can usually find something at any restaurant that is not so bad if you look. Personally given the choice I go to Wendy's over Subway. A grilled chicken sandwich with fresh fruit cup is more appealing to me than chicken(ish) patty on a ton of bread with some veggies. But like I said you can make better choices anywhere.
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I started MFP the end of July 2011. In August took my mom to PA to visit family and had a hard time tracking so we did Subway quite a few times throughout the two weeks we were there. Even though I couldn't track as well because of lack of Internet everyday and it was too hard from my phone, I ended up losing weight, and so did mom! We would get a foot long veggie delight on honey oat with all the veggies and any sauce or condiment on the side and split it. We drank water or tea and did not add any chips or cookies.

We quit doing Panera (or as it is RIGHTLY known in MO: St. Louis Bread Company) because it is SOOOOOOOOOO high in sodium I checked the website and there was next to nothing my mom could get to eat that wouldn't put her over 2000 mg of sodium. We quit going there over a year ago because mom had to have open heart bypass surgery and needed to change her diet to a lower sodium diet. In fact, I cannot even remember the last time I went to Bread Co. because there is really nothing mom can get there to eat for lunch. (Used to do soup/salad or sandwich/salad but after checking out sodium there was no point.)

I would suggest mixing it up with Subway. Don't do it EVERY day but three or four times a week. We still get Subway three or four times a week and have even changed our order so we get double spinach and double tomatoes and the only salty item we add is the banana peppers for flavor. We even come home and put our own homemade dressing or meats on the sub so we can control the sodium and calories.

I agree that making your own is always the best, but check out the websites for a number of places in your area so you can have a list of items that you can get while on the run. Just keep your food items in check and mix it up so you don't get burned out! :flowerforyou:
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Wait wait wait. Subway has drivethrus?

eveyrthing has drivethrus... i was in san diego recently and saw a drive thru pharmacy ffs... its weird!

Wait, what? Where are these Subways with the drivethrus?

I have one here in Beaufort, S.C. I know of a few in N.C. and GA as well. However, they often get your order wrong so it is better to go inside.
  • miss_september
    Options
    Taco Bell (I like regular tacos and chicken tacos, not fresco stuff, but that is an option if you don't want the cheese and stuff), Wendy's baked potato and/or chili (depending on how hungry I am), and when we are traveling I will sometimes find an oriental-style place and get rice with veggies. I also frequent local sandwich shops when we are in a hurry and don't have time to make our own (which isn't often), my favorite uses Boar's Head meats and cheeses and bread from a local bakery. I don't like Subway =-).