Burned out on Subway

Options

Replies

• shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Heads up: My suggestions focus on low cal. I'm aware that the other factors (sodium) may not be low enough for some. However, I have found these to be good substitutes for Subway :)

Panda Express has several tasty options that are low cal. My fav combo is mixed veggies, string bean chicken, and beef/broccoli. I think the total cal count is somewhere around 400 or so.

Taco Bell's chicken fresco soft taco is super tasty. It uses the same spices as the mexi-melt without all the cheese and such. Yummy. 150 cal.

Panera's smoked country sandwich is 420.

Burger King's tender grill chicken (no mayo) is less than 400.

Carl's Jr Grilled Chicken Salad is around 400 (balsamic vinaigrette) It is especially good if you get someone who warms up the chicken for you. Yummy!

Flame Broiler has mini-bowls that are 320 cals or so. Their regular bowls are 600 or lower (depending on the rice option).

.......now I'm hungry! :laugh:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    ive been burned out on subway for a long time. their bread is horrible and their meat is bad too. cookies are ok.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Panera
    Chipotle
    Jimmy John's
    Noodles and Company
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Also try getting your subway in a Wrap if they have them, I get those to mix it up sometimes :)
  • amymimi12
    amymimi12 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My go-to when I have to drive thru is El Pollo Loco. All their nutrition info is online so you can plan some options ahead of time. I like their chicken caesar salad with either the light dressing or no dressing and pile on salsa instead. Also their tortilla soup is good (broth-based, not cream), and so is their skinless chicken breast meal with veggies and a side salad.

Another good choice for me is Chipotle for their salad or fajita bowl - if I can avoid the temptation of chips & guacamole. I know all these are mexican-style, but that's where I seem to have the most ease ordering. Rubio's has good salads too.
  • slc150
    slc150 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Burrito bowls from Chipotle with no cheese or sour cream.
    Eat half for lunch, then save the other half for the next day. Filling, fresh and so delicious.

Actually you can do a "salad" instead of the bowl. They put romaine lettuce on the bottom, and then add your yumminess. Don't get the dressing they offer though! It's LOADED with salt!
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    usually plan ahead and try to make something. Save on time and the gas to go out
  • Marvalm3
    Marvalm3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Burrito bowls from Chipotle with no cheese or sour cream.
    Eat half for lunch, then save the other half for the next day. Filling, fresh and so delicious.

This!! One of my favorites :)
  • jdragione
    jdragione Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Subway Drive Through !?! Wow, nothing like that anywhere near central New Jersey!
  • DamaliAsabyiKioni
    DamaliAsabyiKioni Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Chipotle is the only fast food spot I patronize... but I might have to try some of the other options.
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Dunkin donuts...veggie or turkey sausage eggwhite flat bread or ham egg and cheese english muffin
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I actually do get fast food on occasion, I just don't get yummy quarter pounders with cheese anymore - or any fast food burger for that matter. I will get McDonalds, Wendy's or Arby's nuggets and Arby's french dip is a favorite - but I only eat 1/4-1/2 of the bun. I can't get over the sodium in Subway, but we do that sometimes, too, when we're on the road or too busy to make a meal. I ALWAYS check a restaurant's menu online before I go so that I know what I'm ordering ahead of time.
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Chipotle is awesome--they have a great nutrition calculator so you can see what all the options are. I usually eat 1/2 a burrito bowl.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Tons of sodium....and it all processed food. You would be better off to cook at home!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Wait wait wait. Subway has drivethrus?

eveyrthing has drivethrus... i was in san diego recently and saw a drive thru pharmacy ffs... its weird!

Wait, what? Where are these Subways with the drivethrus?

Really where. I live in San Diego and yes ALL the big RX have drive thurs, but not our subways.

Do you have a Daphnes where you are? I ate there today and noticed most things on the menu were lower in calories, yummy too.
  • mandalu292
    mandalu292 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm also a huge fan of Wendy's... on the nights where I'm driving home from work at 8 or 9 pm Wendy's has saved me from grabbing FRIED fast food. I will often get a baked potato and small chili, or half a cobb salad with chili. The chili is super filling and has a lot of fiber, but you do have to watch the sodium. Even the full size blt cobb salad isn't too bad as long as you take it easy on the dressing, and I even skip the blue cheese. And I love that it tastes FRESH!
  • MandyRi
    MandyRi Posts: 4
    Options
    I love Chipotle too! Very filling.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Fajita burrito bowls from Chipolte minus the sour cream etc.
  • Sid422
    Sid422 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    No drive thru's at all where I live, how's that for odd. The city wants to keep smog out of our area. (San Luis Obispo, CA) We don't seem to eat out for lunch, but if we're traveling Subway will do in a pinch. Dinner out has been Applebee's recently. They have quite a few yummy dinners under 550 calories. I really like the Sizzling Asian Shrimp & Broccoli dish if anyone has an Applebee's nearby. We pack our lunch for work and cook dinner at home almost always so eating out hasn't been too much of a challenge.
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Jimmy John's unwrap sandwiches. Any Sandwich on the menu instead of bread, wrap in lettuce. Love these so much I make them at home. They even deliver!