Michigan

Options
Anyone from Michigan here? Wanted to see if there were others here who struggle through the winter with keeping workouts interesting and finding things to do while buried under 6 feet of snow. :) I am from Northern Michigan . . . Summers are awesome but sometimes winters make it hard to stay motivated.

Replies

• BridgetMiko
    BridgetMiko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm in Michgian as well (Detroit area). Winter can be frustrating but remember that shoveling snow is a workout! I usually try to go straight to the gym from work. Stopping at home is a guarantee I won't leave again. Also, if you like taking exercise classes, finding a new one to try can be fun and something you'll look forward to.
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    flint, michigan here. it's easy to get exercize when dodging bullets.

actually, i prefer winter. i detest the sound of mosquitos buzzing in my ears.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm in Michigan (been here 4 years). My first couple years I did well during the winter since I was really into running I'd put on some layers and go for a run in the snow. I fell off the wagon for a little while, but have been again doing good with my exercise routine recently. I take some exercise classes and joined the Y so I can exercise indoors if the weather is too daunting. If you just want to go walking, go to the nearby mall (but leave the credit cards at home, lol). Or get some dumbells, some work out videos, etc. and you won't even have to leave home to get some exercise. Also, now that the summer is coming up, my mind tries to tell me that now "it's too hot outside to go for a run." I think it's important to recognize that the weather is just an excuse not to work out. Minnesota for example is consistently named one of the healthiest states in the U.S. and they have it worse off than we do. :-)
  • jcveng
    jcveng Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    UP here. Snow shoeing burns a ton of calories and it's fun!
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Shoveling does burn a lot. Last year we shoveled out a snow for with our 7 year old. I was almost down to just
    my clothes by the time we were done. I remember it being a lot easier when I was younger. LOL
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Kalamazoo area here.
  • Theskinnysideofme
    Options
    im from warren, mi
  • jenna324
    jenna324 Posts: 28
    Options
    St. Clair Shores, MI :)
  • marasw
    marasw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm from Kalamazoo but currently living in Texas. I want to come home!!!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm from Monroe MI, just north of the OH state line.
  • jenna324
    jenna324 Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm from Kalamazoo but currently living in Texas. I want to come home!!!

I'm moving to the Charleston area next week (for 2 years). I haven't even left yet & I already want to come home :(
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    Midland area here -

On days where I couldn't hit the gym I had snowball fights with the dogs. OK, so I just throw snowballs at them which smash in their mouths when they try to catch them - but still burns calories! Especially the laughing part!

I have a problem with S.A.D., so my motivation does suffer a bit - but I know that exercising releases hormones that improve your mood, so I would schedule it in just like any other meeting and go.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Grand Rapids area...cottage further north, about an hour south of Traverse City. I think there are lots of Michiganders here! Good Luck on your journey!
  • camsmommy2008
    Options
    Owosso here (between Flint and Lansing)

I hit the gym after work daily. If I stop home I am a quick one to hop on the couch and not want to get off!
  • thompsoj05
    thompsoj05 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Grand Rapids-I just keep it all in the indoors. Thankfully this past winter was nearly nonexistent
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I too am from Michigan, I love all four seasons even though they follow no pattern here. Motivation can certainly be an issue, build a Friend List of supportive people, ... it is working for me! ... Best of luck as you continue on this great, rewarding journey.

Ken
  • ralexander82
    ralexander82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Ypsilanti, now in Ohio, similar weather sometimes. :laugh: I found that once you start getting out in the cold (mainly running and walking) with plenty of layers, you love it better than the heat. I found a great group that I run with and we've run on ice, in 2 ft of snow, against horrid windchills, and in blistering heat. It helps to have friends who keep you moving all year.
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    Im in Wisco, but I was born in MI. Same ****, different pile, really. I have an excersise bike in my basement for the brutally cold and snowy days. Otherwise, taking the kids sledding and pulling them up the hills, ice hockey/skating, snow shoeing, shoveling snow, and even a good snowball fight can burn some serious calories. I think the main thing for me is to not give in to the temptation to sit on the couch in my jammies and drink 64 ounces of cappuccinos and hot chocolate every day...
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Utica/Sterling Heights here. I belong to a gym so that problem is taken care of. Granted I do have many days during the winter where I'd rather not deal with even going to the gym, even if it is straight from work. The snow ruins everything. LOL
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Anyone from Michigan here? Wanted to see if there were others here who struggle through the winter with keeping workouts interesting and finding things to do while buried under 6 feet of snow. :) I am from Northern Michigan . . . Summers are awesome but sometimes winters make it hard to stay motivated.
    I'm in northern Michigan also...actually just a short drive from you, in Kalkaska!

I don't know yet how my workouts will be in the winter, because I didn't start any kind of exercising until winter was pretty much over with. :tongue: