help! i like beer too much!

Options
I don't go out a looooooot a lot, but when I do I like to enjoy a good beer or two... or 5... heh. Unfortunately I only recently noticed the insane amount of calories there are in a beer... not good. I can consume 1000 cals in beer in one sitting and not even realize...

Are there any lower calorie options for things I can drink when I am out with my friends so I don't end up completely screwing all the work I've done throughout the week in a couple of hours? Low calorie beer is probably too much to hope for, but anything that doesn't involve drinking straight hard alcohol would be nice.

Thanks!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Diet soda with vodka - calories only from alcohol, zero carbs.

Coors light or other low carb beers have low calories.

The alcohol is 7 cals per ml of neat alcohol equivalent.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I think there is a beer with 64 calories...not sure how good it tastes...I shall google it......

Edit: It's called Miller 64
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you want to get buzzed or drunk, you're better off with some hard liquor, mixed with diet soda if needed. If you actually like beer... I'd rather have one good beer than 5 crappy ones.
  • lisawants2bskinny
    lisawants2bskinny Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Wine too much! There is something to be said about Friday nights after work on the patio enjoying a nice glass of red!!
    I almost won't eat dinner just for that glass of wine lol. ( I know, it's not healthy) javascript:add_smiley('tongue','post_body')
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I think there is a beer with 64 calories...not sure how good it tastes...I shall google it......

Edit: It's called Miller 64

Yeah, and it's sex in a rowboat
  • sjbruno7
    sjbruno7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    mgd 64 is what i switched too. The taste is lacking comparatively, but you will get used to it. I myself love beer, and especially trying new locally brewed beers and the calories I consume are frightening lol. Just have to stick to it and portion control it. Don't get me wrong I splurge every now and then too. But I would recommend the MGD 64.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    Guinness - 12 oz bottle is 125 calories
    Bitter American - can settle an IPA craving for 1/2 the calories at 154 calories for the 12 oz can

as you can see... i can't stomach the light beers...
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Just enjoy your beer but learn to balance. I try to drink a full glass of water with each beer I consume, or in b/t before ordering another drink.
  • silverbullet07
    silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    They have a Bud select 55. 55 calories and 1.9g carbs. Taste is refreshing. I like good dark wheat beers but I've moved to these to help my calorie count.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    They have a Bud select 55. 55 calories and 1.9g carbs. Taste is refreshing. I like good dark wheat beers but I've moved to these to help my calorie count.

That's funny, you seem like more of a Coors guy....
  • cjmas
    cjmas Posts: 63
    Options
    Wine has fewer calories than beer.

Hard liqour has fewer calories than wine.

Why don't you start with something like a single or double of vodka & soda-water, bourbon/whisky/scotch neat (you have to go high quality for that), or whatever you like with the hard liqour. Then you could have a regular good beer, then move to light beer if you want another. (Also assuming you don't like wine and/or are looking for a heavier buzz.)

Alcohol calories can definitely creep up on you, but you can plan ahead. Good luck!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Try looking at better bears. Like microbrew and craft beers and good stuff.
    Its more calories, but I'll only have one or two.

I'd rather that than 64, 52, whatever piss beers.
    any of my friends who drink piss beer are exempt from my internet judgment.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, I personally just don't really drink anymore because I felt like it wasn't worth the calories. That said, now that it is warming up to beer festival season I am questioning my decision. One thing you can do is just workout extra hard on the days you are going to drink. Earn yourself some extra calories to drink...
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I hate to be a kill joy, but I love chocolate too much, but I realised that it was either I ate endless amount of the foods that I enjoyed, or I got the body I've always wanted.

Your beer is fine in moderation, but try to cut back and don't drink more than one night a week.
  • silverbullet07
    silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

LOL what would make me seem like a Coors guy? I love my Microbrews...maybe too much.
  • mrowrmeowmrowr
    mrowrmeowmrowr Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Hahahaaha. Love it.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you're from, but in Canada there's Canadian 67 which is 67 calories and lower in carbs. As for the States, there's Michelob Ultra which is 96 calories, Bud Select 55 which is 55 calories and MGD Light which is 64 calories.
  • mrowrmeowmrowr
    mrowrmeowmrowr Posts: 288 Member
    Options

LOL what would make me seem like a Coors guy? I love my Microbrews...maybe too much.

....Coors slogan is the Silver Bullet.

are you at least a Bob Seger fan?
  • Jam5021
    Jam5021 Posts: 6
    Options
    I hear you there, girlfriend! I <3 beer.
    I try to just stick to beer on weekends.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep track of your calories all week it shouldn't matter that much.
    My mom used to drink the MG 64, she really liked it.

I drink on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday almost every week. Normally it's just a Bloody Mary or 2 on Thurs and Fri.
    Saturday tends to be 2-3 vodka drinks.

This is a lifestyle change.. are you going to miss your beer? Don't cut out things you love!
    But maybe try going 1 beer then 1 water. Slow yourself down so you don't drink as much :)