why aint i losing weight

Options
13»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You're not losing weight because you're eating the wrong things. Period. It's not so much about the calories as it doesn't seem that you're underrating for your height. (I would also double check that you are correctly logging quantities. I saw that you ate 4/5 of a pizza, but it was only logged as 270 calories. This is impossible.) You can still lose weight if you keep carbs low and calories within a reasonable amount of 1200-1300. Obviously high intensity cardio and some lifting will help you as well (bodyrock.tv is a great website for do at home workouts that you can get for free.) Also, intermittent fasting might be a good way to kickstart your metabolism (assuming that you research it well and are eating the correct nutritional foundation so that you don't get ill.)

IF does not 'kickstart' your metabolism.
  • starcatcher248
    Options
    I would suggest investigating further before you jump to this type of claim. An excellent interview with a doctor here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoMc7_WDHXQ as well as a newly published research study from the National Institutes of Health might provide some insight into why this approach should not be discounted. See these here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20921964. You can even successfully exercise in the fasted state, kickstarting your metabolism. Research paper here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21051570. Don't be so quick to discount non-mainstream approaches, especially ones that have been tested within the scientific community.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    As others have said, if you want to lose weight and keep it off, you need to make some lifestyle changes, not just a 2 week change in "diet". And that is hard. For your health and your baby's, I hope you decide to make some changes. Don't try to do everything at once.

Set up your profile correctly. Enter your activity level to match what you're really doing. Track your food and exercise (the exercise that's more than your basic activity level). Try following the MyFitnessPal (MFP) guidelines. Eat at least 1200 calories a day. Try to be within 100 calories of the target MFP suggests. It's ok to be a little above one day and a little below another.

Now, when you're ready for a next step, try eating a bit healthier. Start by drinking at least 8 cups (64 oz) of liquid a day -- better if it's no or low calories liquid, like water. Next add some healthy foods. I haven't looked at your diary, but from the other comments, try adding fruits and vegetables. Check your fiber and protein levels, increase them if you aren't meeting the targets. (Personally, I think MFP targets for fiber are too low, so I try to exceed them.) A healthy diet should not be boring. People on this site can suggest lots of recipes... depending on what you need.

And depending on your level of fitness and what you want, you can also add more exercise.

Good luck!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've got 25 lbs to lose and I'm excited about the journey....Nothing worth a darn ever happens overnight. Losing weight is like a full time job. Read labels and stay away from fast food. Make it a game you really want to win....kinda like going for a job promotion but do this to impress yourself!! If you look better, you'll feel better. Be patient and consistent....stay away from salt and the bad fats....No soda or DIET SODA!! And if it says DIET or HEALTHY on the label...r;un the other way....that's just marketing BS trying to suck you in....lol! Your in control of everything that goes in your mouth, so prepare your own meals so that you know what the heck is in it.....Watch your sodium/potassium intake...potassium should be 4x greater than your sodium intake or you will get FLUFFY..fat. Fast food= 4-5x more sodium that potassium....backwards for sure!

Good luck to us all!

How does diet soda make you fat? And how does sodium being more than 1/4 of potassium make you fat?

Potassium is what counters the sodium bloat
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I would say try not to eat processed, pre-made & fast foods if you want to lose weight. There is so much sugar, fat & sodium.
    I have lost 35 pounds since March 10th without working out hard....only walking. I was told 70% of weightloss is diet. I believe it now.

Drink lots of water...no soda
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    All the yoga-bashing is interesting. There are various types of yoga and some do have a decent burn in addition to increasing flexibility. My core yoga training burns about the same calories as some of my interval training sessions.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I would suggest investigating further before you jump to this type of claim. An excellent interview with a doctor here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoMc7_WDHXQ as well as a newly published research study from the National Institutes of Health might provide some insight into why this approach should not be discounted. See these here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20921964. You can even successfully exercise in the fasted state, kickstarting your metabolism. Research paper here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21051570. Don't be so quick to discount non-mainstream approaches, especially ones that have been tested within the scientific community.

I have no issue with IF at all - its the 'kickstart' the metabolism claim I have an issue with so please do not be so quick to jump to conclusions.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I think it's weird to even suggest IF to someone who has trouble being consistent with any program for more than a week & a half. Really?
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Options
    Each body system requires different color vegetable
    What the crap???

This is actually completely true. One time my local Tesco was out of red peppers so I bought green instead, and I ate them with green beans, and that night I went into total renal failure and died.

True story.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I think it's weird to even suggest IF to someone who has trouble being consistent with any program for more than a week & a half. Really?

Good point....I sort of got hung up on the "kickstarting your metabolism" thing
  • shoobz
    Options

Good point....I sort of got hung up on the "kickstarting your metabolism" thing

I hate when people use phrases like that. It's like basic biology has been completely replaced with urban myths!
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Keisha,

Congratulations on the baby, I'm glad you have a happy family. It's not easy.

Firstly, ignore all the grammar Nazi's, we all understand what you mean.

OK, so here comes the fatherly advice.

You're a young woman who, judging by your age, has only just finished building a human being.
    Your body is probably trying to extract as much nutrition as possible from the tiniest amounts of food in order to keep you, and your child alive and healthy.

This means that your super low calorie diet, and the missed meals here and there, are probably not helping you lose the weight.
    You've gone into starvation mode.

The odd yoga class is probably good for your body, but I doubt it's really off-setting much of your calorific intake. Certainly not as much as your using just looking after yourself and baby.

You might want to do a bit more research for yourself on getting a balanced diet that is not starving you, without being loaded with pointless calories like vodka martini's and crisps. (chips). Get your boyfriend to do a bit of healthy cooking for the 3 of you, it's easy, cheap and sexy. Women love men that can cook well. Believe me, it's really easy, and it's manly too. You just need a really big knife.

Then, see about getting some sort of exercise regime that you think you would enjoy, and you can fit into your busy life. (Obviously you can't do it with the BF, because he's going to be looking after Mathias.)
    I find running to be bloody boring, swimming too, but I love surfing and hiking. There's something out there for you, but you have to do it regularly, 3-5 times a week. I always find it easier to go with a friend, that way I actually turn up to the rainy beach at dawn and walk into the freezing water.

Anyway, lecture over.

Look after yourself.
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    What the crap???

This is actually completely true. One time my local Tesco was out of red peppers so I bought green instead, and I ate them with green beans, and that night I went into total renal failure and died.

True story.
    THAT IS AMAZING. Did they administer V8 intravenously at the hospital to bring you back?
  • shoobz
    Options
    What the crap???

True story.
    THAT IS AMAZING. Did they administer V8 intravenously at the hospital to bring you back?

No, they threw red apples at me until my kidneys were ok again. Standard medical procedure, dontchaknow.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary and came across the Papa Murphy's pizza. You recorded 3/5 of a 14" pizza as 270 calories. Now being an expert in pizza, LOL, I knew that was highly unlikely.

In truth the pizza that you ate, thin crust and all, has 10 pieces of pizza. So 3/5th of a pizza means you ate 6 slices. I checked online and call our local papa murphy's pizza place and in actuality, that pizza is 180 calories per SLICE. So instead of 270 calories, you actually consumed 1040 calories just in pizza on those days. Those types of underestimation can severely affect what you're actual daily calorie intake is vs. what you think it is.

So really try to be very cautious in recording the accurate calorie amounts and measure and weigh everything.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    this has to be a troll post.
  • starcatcher248
    Options
    Can you please expand on what you mean by 'basic biology'? The reason that I included links to multiple scientific studies as done by reputable sources was to help show that this is not an urban myth. I also brought up this point as hoping to have a larger discussion around weight loss methods in general. However, if we were to fully focus on providing feedbacks to the original asker of the question, immediately introducing IF would be extreme for her. My advices would consist more along the lines of the following:

1. Eat whole foods. Try to minimize and cut back on anything that comes from a box, jar, can, or from a fast food place.
    2. Eat healthy fats (like those that come from nuts, seeds, and olive oil) and unprocessed meats in moderate amounts to keep yourself full.
    3. Eliminate processed sugars and refined carbs.
    4. Cook foods at home. Consider even creating a food swap plan with a neighbor or friend, trading off who makes a big pot of soup or meals on the weekend and sharing with each other. Money and time saving!
    4. Drink lots of water.
    5. Try out different types of exercise until you find something that you look forward to doing.
    6. Repeat.
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that KFC, chicken nuggets and fries will not help you lose weight?
    Those foods won't stop you from losing weight if you're still in a calorie deficit. Of course, they're not the healthiest foods out there. But that's a different topic.