Someone find me some Protein!

Options

Replies

• thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Eat your veggies. They are full of protein.

1. Peas. [And split peas provide 16g/cup]
    2. Corn - 5g/cup
    3. Broccoli - 3g/serving
    4. Cauliflower - 3g/serving
    5. Asparagus-3g/serving
    6. Chickpeas-8g/serving
    7. Spinach (cooked)- 5g/cup
    8. Artichokes-4g/medium artichoke
    9. Potatoes-5g/medium potato
    10. Beans-Per 100g, the average protein content of beans is 9g, but some varieties contain as much as 12g per 100g
    [1/2 cup of cooked black beans has 113 calories, 7.6 grams of protein and only .5 grams of fat.]

{wow. spinach, you surprise me]
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    beans are high in fiber and protein
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Go get ourself some Quinoa - it's GREAT and can be fixed in about a bajillion different ways! It's also a "complete" protein, meaning it contains all 9 essential amino acids necessary for humans (and other animals). Quinoa has a light, fluffy texture when cooked, and its mild, slightly nutty flavor makes it an alternative to white rice or couscous.

Pair that with a salad, stir in some fresh veggies with the quinoa or pair it with some fish or chicken... whatever you like!!
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    quinoa (YUMMY) and peanut butter
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I use Egg Whites International liquid egg whites. They have no taste and aren't slimy like you'd think. You can pretty much flavor them with anything. You can drink them and even cook them. They're awesome. You can get all the info here:

http://www.eggwhitesint.com/faq.htm
  • andreaholowaty
    Options
    QUINOA QUINOA QUINOA! Best "super food" out there....very versitle and goes great with everything! Cook with vegetable broth vs water.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Just looked up Quinoa.....never heard of it before. For 222 calories worth you get 8g of protein.....This is NOT a good source of protein. Carbs maybe.....Has 39g of those.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Just looked up Quinoa.....never heard of it before. For 222 calories worth you get 8g of protein.....This is NOT a good source of protein. Carbs maybe.....Has 39g of those.

If you are substituting it for rice with your meals, then it has it's benefits.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. I love it lately. I cook it with chicken stock which adds flavour.

I have mine cold with feta cheest, toasted pine nuts, beetroot, red onion, grilled chicken and then a dressing of extra virgin olive oil/balsamic vinegar. Yum.

that sounds good! I also love quinoa!
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    QUINOA QUINOA QUINOA! Best "super food" out there....very versitle and goes great with everything! Cook with vegetable broth vs water.
    thats a great idea! I just tried Quinoa for the first time this year...Dr. Oz uses it as part of his 48hr cleanse...I have done it twice ,it works and you feel great, you it the Quinoa in the morning for breakfast
  • kayjo2
    kayjo2 Posts: 7
    Options
    I like to have Morning Star Farms or Boca veggie meats on hand. They come in handy if you need to increase your protein and don't have a lot of time for food preparation. Some of them just don't have high enough protein value to be worth it...be mindful of that! :)
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    wild caught salmon....21 grams of protein per 4 oz, tuna, egg whites instead of the whole egg, then you can eat more of them.
  • Danardeener
    Danardeener Posts: 255
    Options
    I do protein powder, unsweetend almond milk with added protein, and chobani (greek yogurt)
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I can offer some protein...

nuts,eggs,tuna,chicken, yogurt.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

I don't disagree with that......I am sure it is better for you than rice.....That said it is still not a great way to get her closer to her protein goals by itself.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

I don't disagree with that......I am sure it is better for you than rice.....That said it is still not a great way to get her closer to her protein goals by itself.

Agreed!
  • heidi257
    heidi257 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try nonfat greek yogurt. For protein and calcium.
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've recently gotten hooked on Light Babybel cheese. The little cheese wheels are 50 calories and 6 grams of protein. I've been eating 2-4 a day for snacks.
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Beans
    Greek Yogurt
    Nuts (especially almonds and pistachios)
    Some cereals are also high in protein, at least as far as cereals go- grapenuts, kashi, special K
    Also try substituting grains like quinoa or brown rice for white rice, and whole grain low calorie bread for regular white bread.