How to get rid of poison ivy

Options
124»

Replies

• morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    As some who gets it, I use apple cider vinegar when ever it starts to itch (so several times a day). If it is really bad, an oatmeal paste does wonders (what I would do is after putting on the paste, cut some finger-holes in a pair of long socks and wear them like elbow length gloves. Also bacon soda paste works ok, but gets really messy.
    I know the apple cider vinegar smells and the others can be a bit messy, but you can itch & scratch or deal with it.
    This is from a county boy who lives with it...

Good luck

Thanks! Those are helpful!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My husband got poison ivy last weekend so I have been slathering him with calamine lotion all week because god forbid he does it himself. I am going to be gone next week. What can we use over the weekend to make it go away so he doesn't die when I am gone? I did all the google searches, but I want to know what real people have tried and what works.

For Rhus radicans; the catechol (also called urushiol as a mix) causes the problems (binds to skin) apply Calamine first then some aluminium acetate ( I do not know the street name .)

aluminum acetate is also called Burow's Solution, or Domeboro, it's very inexpensive, and is an astringent. Basically dries out the infection.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    My conversation with him just now

"You need to get the shot. It goes in your butt"
    "No, I am not doing it."
    "It is not going in your *kitten*, just the top of your butt."
    "Nope, not doing it."
    "Well then you are going to die."
    "Ok then".

Why is he such a baby about shots?

LOL! They can also give him a short course of oral steroids instead of the shot in the butt :smile:
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Good post! I am almost 2 weeks with poison ivy. I tried cortisone for the first week, then read that dermatologist don't recommend it, just calamine...so I've had pink arms all this week... helping a little, only gets really unbearable when out in the heat (and i'm running out of long sleeve SUMMER shirts to wear! I finally asked my sister, a pediatric practitioner, who also reacts from Poison Ivy - she said just calamine or coritsone, it will clear up on its own in 3-4 weeks. You can get steroids from teh doctor, but usually only a 5 day dose, and it may come back after that. I opted to avoid that -- dont' need the side affects of steroids! (appetite increase, puffiness!).

Good luck with it! I might have to try the banana peels!
  • IrishFanVSG
    IrishFanVSG Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get it or some reaction to a plant. Nothing over the counter works for me. Not even the shot seems to remedy it. Last time my doctor prescribed Methylpred 4mg. I just called today for a refill. She doesn't even make me come for an appt anymore. It is a six day pack. Usually after 3 days its better and dried up. Bearable after 1st day of pills. I do buy a anti itch spray made by benadryl or the dollar general brand copy. That seems to at least take the itch away.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Searching for this myself, I think I have poison ivy now and it's awful. I read online to make a paste with baking soda and water, smear it on and let it dry then wash off. I tried this yesterday and it did seem to help. I also rubbed some white vinegar on half of it to see if that made a difference and I think it has itched less today. I've read about the oatmeal and banana peels too but haven't tried those yet.