Does anyone eat whatever they want just within calories?

Options
I know I would probably lose more faster if I didn't do this but I eat whatever I want just stay under my calories is that ok? Does anyone else do this? I feel like if I don't eat what I want I give up early and easier.

Replies

• momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can eat what you want as long as it fits into your calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't. I make conscious decisions regarding the healthfulness of everything I eat. For me that's part of the "lifestyle" versus "diet" part. I am fueling my body, and trying to do it well.

Granted, I didn't adopt that sort of thinking til i was in my mid 30s...
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight that way (15 lbs).

Since March, when I started powerlifting, I started trying to hit 30% protein, but still did not watch other macros.

For the past week I have been sort of trying Primal Blueprint and keeping carbs under 100 gr. That in turn is keeping the sugar very low. I'm curious to see how this will affect me.
  • eyclypz
    eyclypz Posts: 14
    Options
    I do this. It's much easier, I'm making a change in my life and this is what I'm going to do for the rest of my life, if I want something, I'll have it but in moderation. I'm not going to not eat it because it isn't healthy, because I'll just end up craving it more and binging on it. I do however try to eat healthy, because i find I can eat more of it and I actually like it!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It's not just about quantity of calories, it's about quality of calories, if what you are going for is overall health. You've heard it before, and you'll hear it again: don't skip your fruits and veggies.
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yes, but that yes has an asterisk. So therefore... yes*.

I say this because what I started out eating is very different from what I'm eating now... my choices are better, and I find I'm not hungry as frequently, and I'm not snacking just to snack.
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I eat everything i want... but a WHOLE lot less. Overall, I have been very successful.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Mostly ....

I look at labels and ask myself ... is this food really worth it ... is there some better alternative? There is food I will not give up ever (chocolate) .... but dark chocolate provides a stronger flavor ... for less sugar.

I have made changes and will probably make more. If I try to make a 180° change .... I won't stick to it.
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am doing this for the most part. I try to make sure I stay within my calorie limit. I have made some changes to what I eat to stay there, such as giving up donuts for breakfast for fruit, and giving up fast food for lunch for salads. The scale hasn't recognized my changes, but my clothes are starting to. :)
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have not given up pizza, beer and bacon and have lost 16lbs. But I am also not over doing it either.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    That's basically what I do. I've just learned which of my "must have" foods are more worth the calories than others. I will not, however, give up my ice cream every night. It's my reward for surviving the day. I just make sure I have the calories for it!
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have avoided is sweets, due to a high A1C level... of course that was over 110 days (and 31 lbs) ago... but other than that if it fits in the plan nothing is off limits.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    YES! Although I do take note of what's in the food before I buy it. There's no way I'd eat a doughnut now, but I do treat myself to fried chips! :tongue:
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Once you are shooting for sub 18% body fat (or 10 for men) it starts to matter, but til then just make sure you get enough protein, and eat at a deficit, and you'll lose body fat. 1g-1.5g protein per pound lean body mass as a rule of thumb.
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Absolutely -I exercise more if I want to eat more!
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat as healthy as I can but if I crave a treat then I will have one and make sure it is in my calories, or if not exercise more to work it off.

Saying that though I am no expert and have only been here a short while, but so far that works for me.

Good luck!
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I do - the only other thing i watch is sodium intake due to family history of high blood pressure.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You can but I think you will lose more by eating healthy stuff. You get to eat more that way too!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    at first i did, but then the weight loss halted for nearly a year and i'm having to manipulate the macros to get the results I want. I'm reducing my carbohydrate intake and am losing steadily again.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    No. Quality of food counts. "x" calories of junk food does not equal "x" calories of quality food. Our bodies need good, nutrient rich food. So .. eating 1700 calories of junk food just isn't acceptable.