Does anyone eat whatever they want just within calories?

Options

Replies

• FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I eat 80 percent awesome and 20 percent not so awesome;-) lost over 30 pounds and kept it off a year;-) works for me..
    The 20 percent part is mainly beer,ice cream;-)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Well, kind of. If I truly ate just whatever I wanted, I would be starving all the time and wouldn't have many nutrients in my diet. I make sure all most of my food is healthy, nutritious and lightly processed. I do save room for the other foods that I enjoy though and eat them without guilt. There is no food that is 'banned' from my diet for being bad (except for bad tasting food), but there are things that just aren't daily anymore.
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I am doing. Sometimes, it is really hard to get through the day without grabbing a quick bite to eat, and healthy(er) options aren't always available. Therefore, I do my best when I am tracking to make sure that I mark everything down that I am consuming.

I do not count celery since the nutritionist told me that is pretty much an empty calorie thing and to eat as much as I wanted to in order to curb those munchies for potato chips. Want a crunch...munch on a celery stick? Doesn't quite taste the same, but keeps the mouth occupied long enough and has the crunchie thing that I am wanting.

There are a few things that I choose not to give up...period. The biggest thing is creamer for my coffee. Forget it, I will lose something else to have it. That is my pleasure food and I won't give that up for nada.

I think that some people eat only one thing that will consume those calories for the day quickly and others not enough. I also do not "eat" back my calories if I have done something physical. I just don't see the point of doing that.

I have been making healthier food choices, but those aren't always available to me. But when they are, those are what I am getting.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight that way (15 lbs).

Since March, when I started powerlifting, I started trying to hit 30% protein, but still did not watch other macros.

For the past week I have been sort of trying Primal Blueprint and keeping carbs under 100 gr. That in turn is keeping the sugar very low. I'm curious to see how this will affect me.

You're my guinea pig Sleepy. I really don't want to give up carbs, but I may have to reduce them to get rid of the stubborn belly fat. I'm getting strong on NROL4W and gaining some definition, but I feel like something is missing.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm just cooking a double cheese burger, so I guess you know my answer....

I'd much rather be within my calories overall than deprive myself and have to do "cheat" or binge days (a system I can't really understand).
  • mango281
    mango281 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do (with strict moderation) simply because i don't want to be feeling depressed! I think that with time I will be able to skip it all together if I wish :smile:
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Very good topic!:) I say for weight loss yes you can eat whatever you want as long as its within your calories and you exercise, but you also have to ask yourself some questions. Is weight loss your only goal? Or a better, healthier way of life and eating that will pay off for you in the long run as far as how often you get sick, diseases, cancer, etc. If your goal is that also, then you need to try to eat healthier foods, lower in calories but busting with nutrients and vitamins, etc. Sure you can splurge ever so often but that needs to be at a limit. Also you need to think about this...empty calorie foods, fatty foods, etc are very high in fat, calories, etc. When your body ingests these types of food, your body has recepticals in it that trigger your brain to know when its full. Since these are empty calories it takes longer and more of the food to tell the brain that its full. When you eat low calorie, rich in nutrient foods, your body gets fuller faster with less food because its got all its nutrients. So...it might take 800 calories before you got full with fatty, empty calories versus 300 calories of good food.

Its all in what your personal goals are, if its strictly just weight loss and nothing else then eat whatever you want, just stay in your calories, if not...then yes your diet plays a vital roll:)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I wonder...if there's a longitudinal study looking at HOW folks lose weight and how successful they are in keeping it off after 10 years. We know most people gain it all back "and then some". Why is that?
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I do this and it's amazing at how differently it makes you look at food. I get 1200 a day and used to easily get through 2 bags of cheee and onion walkers chips a day. That soon changed when I realised they took up almost half of my allowance! Haha. It works but you should find that you naturally start to adapt to a new way of eating so that you can eat more :)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I wonder...if there's a longitudinal study looking at HOW folks lose weight and how successful they are in keeping it off after 10 years. We know most people gain it all back "and then some". Why is that?

My guess would be that they drastically altered the way they eat/live. It got weight off, but it wasn't something they could be happy with and do long-term. Old habits return, so does the weight. That's why slight alterations and moderation are so important. They are sustainable.
  • Hollyjd1019
    Hollyjd1019 Posts: 148
    Options
    I will say I have not cut anything out. I try to make healthier choices when available. I have eaten cupcakes, subway, & taco bell at points here and there. But I don't have them everyday and I try to stay within cals. I would like to start eating cleaner. I do think it is healthier.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sort of.

My problem was never that I chose junk over healthy food. My problem was that I cleaned my plate of all my healthy food, and then ate lots of junk too.

I can get a lot more food in my belly and feel less hungry by choosing bananas and strawberries over M&Ms. So at least for now, I'm filling up on more fruits and veggies, and less crap.

I had pizza this week, and steak, and mashed potatoes, and a square of Dove chocolate when I wanted it. I am measuring all that stuff now, though - 2 slices of pizza instead of 3, 5oz of steak instead of 8, 1 cup of mashed potatoes instead of just piling a big mound onto my plate.
  • allisondra23
    Options
    In a way :)

I eat whatever I want, just healthier versions. If I want ice cream, I eat So Delicious Coconut Chocolate Ice Cream, its not made from milk it's made from coconuts so it's better for you but tastes just as good if not better. If I want a burrito, I use fresh black beans, no cheese, avocado, and fresh veggies to make it. Spaghetti? I use spaghetti squash, veggie ground (yves brand meat substitute, its actually exactly like ground beef in taste and looks) and regular spaghetti sauce. WAY healthier, WAY less calories and so much tastier.

I have found that If I eat mostly vegan (with the exception of an occasional peice of fish) I feel 10000% better and can eat more delicous things within my caloric limits.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    So I wonder for those who continue to eat unhealthy choices; as long as it is under their calorie goal will have continued success not only here but in keeping that weight off for life? I'm sorry but if you don't make some sort of change in the type of food you eat; you are setting yourself up for failure later.

I think exactly opposite. if you cut things out completely you are more likely to binge and gain it back. If you learn to eat foods in moderation and never feel cheated I don't think you will have a problem doing it for life.....
  • xxzimmer
    xxzimmer Posts: 37
    Options
    I try to eat my calories, but when I am doing doubles I cant meet it. I mainly watch fat calories (and which types of fats,) sodium, and potassium. I do go over sodium, but I also burn 1k-1800 cals day working out. I also cut out all whites from my meals, no white bread, rice, etc.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    When I started, I had to slowly portion control my food. What I mean is that my first few weeks, I just cut back by 100-300 calories per day and didn't change what I ate.

Eventually, I changed what I ate too, but that was slow as well. Just take your time.
  • divinebird
    divinebird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I do, but with a caveat--I want the biggest bang for my calorie buck. If I have, say, 1240 calories (my limit sans exercise), then sure, it's okay if I eat that Wendy's Homestyle Chicken sandwich and small fries. HOWEVER...that's a 700-calorie meal, easy. Add another 100 for a lemonade...and I'm left with 440 calories for the entire rest of the day. Assuming I've already had about 300 at breakfast, and this is lunch, that means I have 140 calories until bedtime. It's really, really hard to find something that's filling AND stays under 140 calories over what is, for me, a 9- 10-hour period.

So yeah, you could eat whatever you want within your calorie goal, but depending on how you divvy it up, that may not be the smartest way to go about it.

Also, I do track my sodium, fat, and sugar, since those are things I historically have issues with. I suffer from HBP, plus diabetes runs in my family. So I do make food choices based on what fits within those guidelines, too.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat whatever I want just different versions of it that make sense. For example, if I want McDonalds, instead of a large sized big mac meal I get a hambuger happy meal with pickles, lettuce and mac sauce on the side. If I want a chicken sandwich then no mayo on it and no fries, I get a salad instead. It also means I have to plan what I am eating for the day and make adjustments so it fits in my allotment of calories. I don't think I would be able to stick with a diet if I couldn't have the foods I craved on occasion.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    yes, 4 example my meal was ribs slathered with bbq sauce with a side of cottage cheese n raw strawberries. i ate the ribs last, n it was yummy
  • misspersimmon
    Options
    Yes, I do. I used to heavily restrict and cut out all sugar and any processed carbs, stuff like that. Maybe I was physically healthier, but I was mentally unhealthy doing that to myself and it was not sustainable. I chose to confront the issue of eating things that are less healthy in moderation, and really responding to what my body wants or craves. Sometimes that is processed or sweet food! That's okay. I like it better this way.