side items with dinner....

Options
13»

Replies

• baroqueviolin
    Options
    Wow... that sounds good! Will have to try!
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa and kale or sweet potatoe fries
  • zobail123
    zobail123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is really good. I bake that in the oven with a little olive oil for 45 mins and put a little spray butter on it. Also you can add a marinara sauce. It's so good.
  • lmbuchhop
    lmbuchhop Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love garlic mashed cauliflower. Steam cauliflower and garlic together then put in a food processor add a little skim milk and parmesan cheese. Yum!
  • kimberly728
    kimberly728 Posts: 124
    Options
    I'M ruining out of ideas I have side items to go with . I usually fix rice and vegetables. in vegetables I mean frozen mixed vegetables, california blend vegetables and normandy blend vegetables. anyone have any other ideas? thanks for the input!

fresh veggies- zucchini, squash, asparagus, green beans, mushrooms
    frozen (steamfresh bags are my go to)- broccoli, broccoli&cauliflower mix, green beans, brussel sprouts, carrots

i use sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes, and brown rice instead of white rice as well- and i limit them to 2-3 days a week. most day i just make extra veggies and cut out the nightly carb serving as much as possible.
  • erindh87
    erindh87 Posts: 94
    Options
    Bump! I'm going to have to try a bunch of these.
  • SweetLove1988
    SweetLove1988 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower
    Roasted broccoli w/ lemon butter and garlic
    Bacon wrapped asparagus
    Butternut squash w/ feta cheese
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Cabbage salad.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Roasted squash.
    Stuffed mushrooms.
    Baked potato with broccoli and cheese.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i love spinach sauted with garlic and olive oil
    or mini stuffed mushrooms with a low cal spniach artichoke dip stuffing (made with greek yogurt instead of mayo)
    sweet potatos with cinnamon
    a salad with feta red onion mushrooms olives pepper and a homemade ranch dressing
    spaghetti squash topped with a marinara sauce and parmesan cheese and garlic/other spices
    grilled eggplant
    a homemade veggie soup in a slow cooker, a huge bowl i make is under 100 calories so can easily be served with a main dinner
    edamame
    birds eye i think it is or green giant make frozen veggies in different sauces too that usually arent too bad calorie wise for a serving
    sometimes i like to have fruit with dinner as well, a mix of melon, banana and blueberries
    quinoa with spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese
    couscous
    stuffing
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    lots and lots of vegetables!! lots and lots and lots of variety
    sauted onions and mushrooms over broccoli
    garlic and worcestershire with french style green beans
    baked sweet potatoes with fresh ground pepper and minced garlic

my kids snack on frozen peas ...
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been getting into Greek salad - chopped up raw cucumbers, tomatoes, and sweet onion topped with Girard's Greek Feta dressing (50 cals per tablespoon). Really easy and tasty!
  • dona000
    dona000 Posts: 70
    Options
    Others may have said this...I only read some of the posts. Anyway I roasted yellow peppers, asparagus, baby carrots, sweet vidalia onion, zuchinni (bought at Aldi's a cheap market with specials). I roast them in a couple tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and spices (pick your fav, play around with them til you find what you like). I cooked them on 400 for 10 minutes then stir, 10 more stir, 10 more stir then try and see if done. If not cook 10 more and try again. This can work for any veggies. Try to cook same kinds heavy veggies or light veggies together. After that you can eat with a small amount of rice. Leftovers can be put in a baggie and ate on for up to 3 days. Reheat in microwave. Fresh veggies are so good in season and cooking these like this makes it easy to just grab out of fridge and heat up. These are very yummy and better tasting then frozen.

Also I love green beans as a side any kind. These have very little calories. Though more calories I like beans like white beans, pinto beans, black beans, and black eyed peas. Cooking these from dried beans is economical. Once you learn how its easy. I rinsed a bag of 15 bean soup the other day twice. Brought to a boil simmered for 1 hour than put in crock pot for 8 hours. They were great
  • shorty458
    shorty458 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    wheat couscous
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I make a steamed veggie pot, which SOUNDS boring but is delish.

Cube up a sweet potato (I usually eat 1-1.5 cups) and put in a pot with a steamer. Let the boil for about 10 minutes and then add peppers, carrots, mushroom (pretty much anything) and then top off with a handful of kale or spinach.

I usually have this with some sort of protein, and it totally hits the spot. If I have room I will add a tablespoon of butter, or chop up an avocado. Add any herbs and spices you like, as well as a little bit of salt.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    fruit, fruit salad, baba ganouj, grilled zucchini spears, asparagus, pickles, baked tomatoes, whole wheat rolls, salsa and chips, baked parsnips and carrots, baby spinach with tangerines, steamed green beans, broccoli, or asparagus, corn on the cob, mashed cauliflower, raw or pickled vegetable salad
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I pretty much roast everything with a little evoo and s&p. my favorite combinations are broccoli and carrots, zucchini, brusselsprouts, i heard roasted cauliflower is good too