How do you know when a first date went well?

Options
aoikirin
aoikirin Posts: 143
So I am back from a first date and don't really know how it went. We went to dinner, and were in the restaurant for about 2.5 hours. We sat around talking long after the bill was placed there. We had no awkward silences or anything like that. I was very surprised after leaving the restaurant that he was ready to part. It was only 9pm. I was disappointed because I thought we were going to spend more time together and chat some more. I sort of brought up that it was only 9 and he told me that a friend of his had a birthday a week ago when my date was in LA, so my date needed to visit with him and sort of have a belated birthday meeting. I do know that my date was in LA. I was just wondering the plausibility of the story about meeting his friend. He came back for a second hug after the first one on parting. I think that's a good sign? Or perhaps it was a pity hug or a platonic hug? LOL

Replies

• ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it went well, he may just have made plans for after your date in case it didn't go well. Talking well for 2.5hours sounds good to me - do guys do pity hugs? Text him and say you had a good time, if he replies you will know whether he did too. :)
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    text him tomorrow and let him know you had a good time and you would like to see him again. see what he says.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't dated in forever, but I think maybe he might have made plans just in case the date was bad, And if he just got back from being away, maybe he's a bit tired, too? Dinner for 2.5 hrs sounds to me like you both had a good time. I agree that the 'I had a great time' text sounds like a good plan.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OTHER posters, it's sounds like it went really well. Back in my dating days (noone interested in me any more,so it's been a while!) I'd always arrange something for after, to make sure I didn't do anything stupid (like sleep with him the first night....) or as a get away just Incase.

I think he's done the same, but probably didnt need to, I wish I could have a date like that!
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    send him a text, or give him a call. Ask him! Only way to know and then you don't waste any more time wondering! What have you got to lose? If he says he likes you then you meet again and have another great time and if not you find someone new! Good luck and all the best x
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Ok. Lets put it this way...

If it were a BAD date and it lasted 2.5 hours, you would KNOW it, right? So...
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I have not dated forever, but I would wait a day, text him and see if you can feel him out. Best of luck :smile:
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Wait and see if he calls within 2-3 days. If he doesn't call, then go out on some more dates. It just sounds like he wasn't feeling the chemistry, but I could be wrong.
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I had a first date that was extremely awkward once. It just happened to be that way. I really liked the guy and he must've still really liked me. because he asked me out again. We got engaged nine months later, and we've been married for two years. First dates should not set the tone for what a relationship may or may not be. :)
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I don't think you can second-guess it at this stage. It sounds like the date went well and if you'd only arranged to meet for dinner then I think wrapping it up around 9pm is perfectly acceptable. I think sazzyp's absolutely right - send him a friendly text saying how much you enjoyed the date and does he fancy doing it again sometime and take it from there. If he's interested he'll be pleased to hear from you and if he's not you won't be investing any more emotional energy in a non-starter. Good luck, and keep us posted!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Honestly I feel like you never know. Sometimes a date can go so well but for whatever reason I just change my mind about seeing the person again. As long as you had a good time you should consider that a good date I think. Even if it doesn't lead to anything else, at least you had fun and got to know someone for a few hours :smile:

Now a bad date, usually very obvious!
  • magneticreikipaul
    magneticreikipaul Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    chill out ffs stop worrying if it went well then great
    if it didn't then put it behind you and move on
    never attach your self esteem to any date!
    not one single person is ever worth your own self esteem
    time will tell if he's in to you!

dates will come and go
    just stay true to yourself and have a bit more beleif in yourself
    never have expectations before a first date!
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    OP from what I read it sounded like a successful date, be aware of your concerns & if they repeat on your second date, you will have a clearer understanding of your dates intentions.

But I would keep an open mind, as it sounded like he was trying to keep everyone happy :)

Russ
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Text him saying you had a great time! Hint for a second date :)
    Go for it, i think he likes you.
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    just ask him outright fella, then if he says yes ask him out again and make sure he has the whole evening free?
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    That American dating system is so confusing. Try the British system where you meet someone, go to bed, get jiggy then pluck up the courage to ask them on a date over bacon and eggs in the morning.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You get home and your clothes are inside out :P
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    That American dating system is so confusing. Try the British system where you meet someone, go to bed, get jiggy then pluck up the courage to ask them on a date over bacon and eggs in the morning.

Ha.... we are so civilised arent we lol!!!

Dont stress it, all will reveal itself, you had a good time right?????
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Ask him out again, if he says no theres your answer. If I go out on a date and the guy doesnt ask me for another, that is my answer. And yes even if the conversation seemed to flow, it did not always mean they were interested.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    All I know is if the date wasn't going well I wouldn't spend over 2 hours with 'em.

I'm sure he thought it went well.