Lost most of my weight, But not Body Fat %! WTH????

Options
2»

Replies

• teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    They scales are not accurate....but good for detecting changes. So ignore the number and watch what it does (up? down?). I had my body fat tested with the "dunk method" and the dunk method told me my bodyfat was 4% HIGHER than what the scale told me it was. The calipers my trainer had at the gym agreed with the scale, strangely enough.

Check out your local university. If they have an exercise science department, sometimes you can get your percentage tested for cheap. I bought 2 at one time (so I can see the difference after starting a weighlfting program) and it cost me $60 for both ($30 a piece).

Good luck....and I agree with all the other posters about upping cals and upping the protein while strength training.....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    You should start weight training last week. It sounds to me like you've lost considerable lean mass while losing weight. Just be prepared to gain weight with water retention, bone density increase, etc.

I really don't think so. :-/
    I've done basic strength and worked my muscles. I also have muscles where I never did before. Such as my legs.
    the thing is though, when you eat at a deficit your body will use fat, muscles and glycogen as fuel. just because you work the muscles doesnt necessarily signal to the body that the muscle is off limits. basic strength training isnt good enough because your body is going to keep what it needs to jut do the basic stuff and go after what's over and beyond.

dont forget that muscle is active tissue and therefore requires lots of calories. if you're eating at a deficit then your body wants to find ways to efficiently use the calories it's getting. one the best way to preserve muscle on a calorie deficit is to lift for strength, lift heavy, increase the weights every time if possible.

also just because you are seeing muscle doesnt mean it's new muscle. it more than likely just means you have burned off some of the fat on top of it and can see it better.

and it's also possible your scale is off. are you keeping track of measurements and using calipers?
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had the scale tell me I was 30 percent body fat, and the calipers (done by a trainer who does this often) said I was 18 percent. And when she eyed me up beforehand, she said I looked to be about 20 percent.

So....get measured a different way!

And strength training -- I lost 4 percent body fat in 4 weeks with 3 sessions of strength training a week and eating about 1500-1700 calories a day (and tons of protein).
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The most accurate body fat measurement is the immersion method, but it's pricey! The scales won't be completely accurate, but they'll give you a good idea. You don't say what your body fat percentage is so it's difficult to say much about muscle definition, but strength training should have been in your workout routine from the very beginning. As docktor said, it sounds like you've lost lean mass.

Keep up with the cardio to help shift more excess fat, and incorporate strength exercises to build your muscle mass again. Expect the scales to stay the same or even go up as you introduce strength workouts, but after a few weeks it will balance again, and you'll start to see the numbers decrease again.

I don't know what diet you've been following, but if it's low calorie, that could be another reason for losing lean mass. Up your calorie intake if you need to (it should be above 1200 at all times) and make sure you're getting lots of protein in. Good luck!

My body fat is 37%. I don't think I've lost lean mass because I have been incorporating strength into my workouts. Just not a weight training plan. Which is what I plan to do now.
    MFP put my calories at 1200 so I don't go above that. And I eat a ton of protein everyday. My nutrition is spot on.

You definitely need to start strength training with heavy weights. Pushups and lunges using body weight are better than nothing, but far from what you need to retain muscle while losing weight. Scales aren't 100% accurate but if you've been using the same one and your body fat stayed the same, it means you lost muscle when you lost weight.
    If you are eating 1200 calories, even if you are hitting your protein requirement ratio it's not enough because you're not eating enough grams of protein overall. You should probably change your activity level to reflect how active you are, and aim to lose .5 a week. That is a good deficit for losing fat. Any more than that and you run the risk of losing lean body mass because your body simply cannot be burning only fat for fuel when you have a huge deficit.
    My body fat started at 33% and after I lost 7** lbs eating 1200 cals, doing lots of cardio, pushups, lunges, situps, etc I was still at 33%. I spent the next two months doing heavy weight lifting 3x a week, along with some cardio 2x a week and started eating 1900-2000 calories a day. I eat 100 g of protein a day on days I lift weights. I've lost another 7 lbs and my body fat is 27% and dropping. Again, scales aren't 100% accurate, but mine has still had a consistent downward trend that I did not have before. I also take measurements and they are all consistently decreasing.

Heres a summary of what I do:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/618373-3rd-month-heavy-lifting-cardio-results-pics

I included some good links in there that will be very helpful to you.

Congratulations on your weight loss nonetheless and good luck on changing up your body composition and dropping the fat! :)
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have one of those scales too, and it told me a while back that I was 40% body fat. No way that was accurate. I looked at your diary, and wanted to say that if you really start lifting, you need to eat a lot more. Especially protein. I am doing new rules of lifting for women and love it. I also eat anywhere from 150-200 grams of protein a day and eat at least 2000 calories a day. That is the best way to build REAL, STRONG muscle. If you were doing some strength, but were eating a deficit, you probably did lose some muscle mass. You really have to fuel your muscles to build them. You will never regret it!

Check out the group- eat more to weigh less. A lot of us do weight lifting. Good luck!

Thank you so much for this. I would never have really known to eat more. MFP calculated 1200 calories even with my activity level so I just went by that. :-/ Geez. I am on BodyBuilding.com as well and have had many tell me to eat more as well. ANd that I should have 120g of protein a day and 58g of fat. I've been way off. However, when I make those changed in my goals, it puts my carbs down to 40g a day. How do I do that? I'd go over that with veggies alone.

Thanks again! :)
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Go into your settings and do custom goals. Set your calories to whatever you are upping them to, and set your carbs at 40%, protein 30%, and fat at 30%.That is the best ratio. You need a lot of protein and don't cut out too much fat. You need it for hormone regulation.