Online dating NO Thanks but what are options today

Options
BigBrewski
BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
i am not a fan of POF, okcupid, any of the friendfinder sites, and i am not ready to pay for match or eharmony. so where does one meet dates these days if not online. i am not a big drinker and hitting the bar scene at 40 just isnt me and its not part of the healthy lifestyle i am trying to lead.

any suggestions

Replies

• livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Speed dating? Honestly I used online dating for the most part when I was single but sometimes I just went to public places and things clicked with someone else. I got a good boyfriend from the library once. I met my husband on a free phone sex line...true story.....9 years ago. Not that you should do that...but love happens in the weirdest places. :blushing:
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    As per previous conversation, I believe you and I both know I am not qualified to answer, lol!
  • Daisygirl1024
    Options
    Well being that you are a good looking man, then maybe you should just try the old fashion way......at other places of business, like grocery stores, libraries, work, or let your friends set you up! They know you better than anyone!!! Personally, I always feel that the men have a better upper hand...the women are just waiting for you to make the first move...so if you have someone your interested in...just go for it!!! Life is short!!! That was a lession I learned real quick after my brother died unexpectedly in his sleep, and he was only 47!!!

Good luck!!! :)
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If I were YOU I would go to a zumba class. That is, from what I can tell, where all the ladies go lately lol
  • BigBrewski
    Options
    If I were YOU I would go to a zumba class. That is, from what I can tell, where all the ladies go lately lol

ah zumba...i guess that would be a shot once i reach my goal weight i might have the confidence to do just that
  • BigBrewski
    Options
    Well being that you are a good looking man, then maybe you should just try the old fashion way......at other places of business, like grocery stores, libraries, work, or let your friends set you up! They know you better than anyone!!! Personally, I always feel that the men have a better upper hand...the women are just waiting for you to make the first move...so if you have someone your interested in...just go for it!!! Life is short!!! That was a lession I learned real quick after my brother died unexpectedly in his sleep, and he was only 47!!!

saddly my friends mostly live in arizona (long story) but yeah i guess the old fasion other places of business is a good plan. the whole love finds you when your not looking.

BTW thanks for calling me handsome ;)
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Find a group of people who have similar interests, go hang out with them. Met current girlfriend at an AA meeting, seems to be going well for the most part....
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    i am not a fan of POF, okcupid, any of the friendfinder sites, and i am not ready to pay for match or eharmony. so where does one meet dates these days if not online. i am not a big drinker and hitting the bar scene at 40 just isnt me and its not part of the healthy lifestyle i am trying to lead.

any suggestions

Well I guess I can't help you, I met my husband on OkCupid.... he says hi by the way.
  • Daisygirl1024
    Options

saddly my friends mostly live in arizona (long story) but yeah i guess the old fasion other places of business is a good plan. the whole love finds you when your not looking.

BTW thanks for calling me handsome ;)
  • Daisygirl1024
    Options
    No problem........And it is true!!! Have a great day and get out there and look for your girl....she's out there! Just remember, she's not gonna come knocking on your door!!! LOL...
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Mutual interests. If you have a hobby you can meet someone doing what you like to do. Meteorite collecting, scuba diving, sleep deprivation for fun so you can act like a zombie....

That's really where you are going to meet someone quality is a meetup for mutual interests or while doing something you enjoy.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

any suggestions

I honestly have no idea b/c I am in the same boat....So, I would like to hear some suggestions as well!! Thanks for this topic!! :)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Lurking for ideas......3 years single and still going strong :grumble:
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online and will be married for 5 years in November. Online dating isn't all that bad.
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options

ah zumba...i guess that would be a shot once i reach my goal weight i might have the confidence to do just that

Why wait until you get to goal weight???? If you go to the Zumba class you will be meeting women whose values for fitness will match yours. You can build relationships starting as friends and supporting each other to get to your goals. Frankly, for me, I can't think of who I would have as a better partner than that!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Live your life.
    Do the things you enjoy doing.
    Hang out with friends.
    Meeting people who share similar interests will naturally follow if you just do your own thing.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Go to church. Get a hobby. Join a club. Decide what your interests are, then find out where others with the same interest hang out.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You could try joining some meetup groups. They are local, and I know there are some for singles.

FWIW, I met my husband on OKC. I also met a lot of other guys who became wonderful friends over the years on online dating. For me, it was a really positive experience, so don't write it off just yet. The free sites are usually younger people. Match may be better for you to meet someone closer to your age, even if you do have to pay a bit for it.
  • AshlyRamos
    AshlyRamos Posts: 76 Member
    Options

any suggestions

I tried POF as a joke a little over a year ago. (A friend of mine found her long-term bf on there as well) I emailed this man and simultaneously received a message from him. We met about 4 days later and have been inseperable since. It's been a year, he just moved in and things are so perfect, it's scary. hahaha. I knew I was bound to meet someone perfect for me, I just NEVER imagined it would be on POF. hahaha.

So, there is a glimpse of hope for online dating.

But, my suggestion would be to just get out and do what you enjoy and talk with people who are there enjoying the same thing you do. Then you know you'll at least have a common interest there as a building block.

Good luck with everything. Don't try too hard. It'll happen! :))
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

guy here. I go 3x a week. 6'3 300+ lbs. been going for over a year now. sure there's probably people pointing at laughing at me but I can't hear them over the sound of how awesome I am. the ratio is nice too. 20-30 girls in the class for 1 guy usually. just like MFP.......well MFP is more like 1000:1 >.>