Curly/Wavy haired girls out there!

Options

Replies

• stufie
    stufie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have wavy/curly hair that only looks good when I spend time on it. In the morning I wash with frizz ease curling shampoo and then:

1. Brush it out using pantene curly hair detangler and scrunch
    2. Put it in a towel for 10 minutes to get out the excess water
    3. Scrunch with salon selectives curling mousse
    4. Diffuse on the "hot" setting until it is 100% dry
    5. Hairspray it so it doesn't go limp.

It results in my hair looking really product-y for the first few hours of the morning, but then looking good the rest of the day. If I do nothing to it, it just looks puffy and frizzy. If I scrunch in mousse and let it air dry, it does the same thing. When I have kids I know I am not going to have the kind of time I have now to spend on it every morning.

Any suggestions for a lower maintenance routine?? My hair is thin but there is a lot of it.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: What beautiful curls!!! :-)
  • becktoriatralala
    becktoriatralala Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This right here! I also just started (still experimenting...) since Deva Curl is kind of expensive, only using conditioner. Natures Gate Hemp .... so for so good! My hair is crazy, layered, different types of curls all over. But I've learned its easier to just go with it.

Read the Curly Girl Book! It changed my life! I've always hated my hair, especially on wash days, now I love it! Also, if you're in the U.S., go to mydevacurl.com and look up a Curly Girl stylist in your area.

I eased into "no-poo" with Burt's Bees shampoo and conditioner, then just used the conditioner, but now I'm on DevaCurl products because I think it does a better job of removing gel than the burt's bee does.

My routine:

"Wash" my hair with DevaCurl Conditioner taking care to come it through and really scrub scalp
    Flip forward, scrunch out water
    add a dime-sized amount of the conditioner, scrunch more
    get out of shower
    scrunch with t-shirt
    scrunch in styling cream
    Flip head over (yes, I haven't done this yet!)
    shake head gently to allow curls to fall
    scrunch in gel
    DO NOT TOUCH HAIR AGAIN!

No combing ever! Unless you're in the shower, and no more coming once you've rinsed.
  • AmadaLynn
    AmadaLynn Posts: 116
    Options
    I wear my hair wavy 90% of the time. I have two kids and no time to blow dry and straighten.

I have thick natural wavy hair.

I wash with shampoo, apply conditioner to the bottom portion of hair, comb with wide tooth comb after applying conditionter, leave conditioner to do it's thing while i finish what else I need to do.
    Then I only rinse about 25-50% of the conditioner out
    I NEVER put a towel on it, I've heard it can make it more frizzy.
    Then I gently put in a de-frizzing serum and done.

I try not to touch it after the shower, at all until it is air dried.

Takes me about 5 mintues or so...
  • Hadassk
    Hadassk Posts: 63
    Options
    I use Ouidad products. These products are made just for wavy/curly hair. I have fine hair but I've got some super spirals. It's a great product! Check out the website. http://www.ouidad.com
    Lots of information for the curlies.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Are there any groups on MFP for curlies and wavies on their weightloss/fitness journey's??
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i have naturally curly hair. i wear it long, otherwise it's just too full and curly.

i wash with conditioner, rinse, then put in more conditioner and leave it there. then rinse and put it a little bit and leave it there.

sometimes i'll use an oil as a defrizzer after i get out. some times i use a mousse for curly hair. i always let it air dry. if it frizzes too much i pull it up. if it curls up in ringlets, i leave it down :-)

very infrequently will i blow it dry straight. but if it gets wet or really humid it just poofs up again :-(
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Found a group for Wavy/curly support, tips and tricks called Long/Natural Hair Divas.!!! Finally!!!!
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Those of you who do not use a towel - what do you do? Mine would be sopping wet dripping all over the place if I just got out of the shower and didn't do *something* with it. My routine is to dry myself off in the shower and then wrap my towel around my head turban-style while I put in my contacts, put on lotion, and do my makeup. Then I take it off and use a wide-toothed "pick" on it before adding whatever anti-frizz stuff I might be using that day.

Am I misreading what you're saying? I don't actively "dry" my hair with the towel - no rubbing - but I do wrap it up to absorb most of the moisture.

Let me know your tricks!
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    A lot of people who follow the Curly Girl method use a t-shirt to scrunch-dry their hair, instead of using a towel. Something about the loopy terrycloth frizzes the hair out and breaks up the curls.
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I legit have the craziest, thickest, most unruly hair humanly possible for a white girl.

I've TRIED everything!!! I also have long layers, and my hair is about down to the end of my rib cage ... my mornings were miserableeeee.

I started doing Brazilian Keratin Treatments (BKTs) - it's a smoothing treatment (get the Cappola one as it's all natural and won't damage your hair - in fact it's better)... my hair stays completely manageable for 3 months (keep in mind that for most people the treatment lasts 4-6 months.. but not me and my crazy hair!!!) Now-a-days, I wake up, brush through, and I get great waves. Seriously... BKT changed my life.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Best thing I've ever heard (my hair is so much like yours!) is to forget the cool setting. Diffuse it with hot air on a low air flow, and do it slowly. Put it in place and hold for 45 seconds, then move on. My hair looks GORGEOUS when I do this! Also, I use either frizz ease or moroccan oil plus mousse mixed with curlagizer cream (google it). And only wash it every 3 days, it dries out otherwise.
  • sneakytikigirl
    sneakytikigirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have lots of very fine natural spiral curls down to my mid back when it's fully streached out.
    I only wash my hair once a week with shampoo, but condition it daily.
    I use a special h20 hair towel and leave it wraped up turban styly until i'm done doing my make up & dressed.
    Then shake it our run my fingers through it, and smuch/scrunch in a nickle sized amount of Paul Mitchell Super Clean Styling Gel mixed with Frederck Fekkai color protect serum.
    Perfect curls, no frizz, and if it starts looking afro like in the Florida swamp like weather here, i pat it down with a lil water & i'm good to go.
  • StrongerJess
    StrongerJess Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Best thing I've ever heard (my hair is so much like yours!) is to forget the cool setting. Diffuse it with hot air on a low air flow, and do it slowly. Put it in place and hold for 45 seconds, then move on. My hair looks GORGEOUS when I do this! Also, I use either frizz ease or moroccan oil plus mousse mixed with curlagizer cream (google it). And only wash it every 3 days, it dries out otherwise.

I use the diffuser on hot, low flow, too! :-D Best thing ever!!! I use Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie through my hair before drying.... Let me find a pic.... Here ya go!

23844634_2563.jpg
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm another on the curly girl method bandwagon, though I possibly modify it a tad - I do sometimes use shampoo, but only sulphate free. Going sulphate and silicone free made a huge difference to my scalp and skin, I love Naked products and swear by the silky/long hair conditioner with jojoba, it's fantabulous. I also run extra virgin coconut oil through it when dry - I'm one of these people that doesn't get greasy heair, ever, not even when it's been soaked in olive oil, so for me this works a treat! I am endeavouring to grow my hair long again, so it's a bit of a work in progress as to what it'll eventually look like once it's there
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    oh yes, and no blow drying or brushing, I only finger comb my hair, and sometimes twiddle chunks round my fingers to encourage it to go at least in the same direction!
  • jdkh32003
    jdkh32003 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Okay, I didn't read all the pages of responses but so many of you look like your hair is barely curly! haha... on the other hand, I couldn't tell you the number of times I've heard "I know someone with hair almost as curly as yours!" so it may be apples & oranges. :laugh: I'm not totally sure you can see this in either of the pics on my profile, but my hair is incredibly curly. At the moment it's barely past shoulder length without pulling it straight. On a good day, it's a mass of pretty tight corkscrews. But it is not coarse (not fine either, just average) or "kinky", and is only moderately thick (I don't need extra-large ponytail holders or anything).

I also comb with a wide-toothed comb in the shower, only when it's covered in conditioner. I sometimes use leave-in conditioners (love Garnier Fructis products) but not long ago I discovered an amazing hair LOTION by Olive Oil Girls - http://www.oliveoilgirls.com . If you want reliable hold but hate crunchy curls like I do, this stuff is awesome. I use very little and it does a great job. I apply it after I wash/comb/towel dry, and usually only have to use a little water to style it for the next day or two after that. It does build up, though, being olive oil and all, so even though I used to have to be really careful about my hair drying out, I now have to use a clarifying shampoo (which is pricey, but worth it. Shampoo lasts.). Be advised that as it's made with olive, coconut, and safflower oils, using too much will result in a greasy look & feel. It also smells fantastic. I highly recommend it.

My sister has even more challenging hair than mine. The individual hairs are very thick and coarse, curly in places and kinky in others. She also has TONS of it, so she can just barely put her thumb & index finger around her ponytail. She started paying for keratin treatments a while back, and while they are pricey, they absolutely live up to their claims. She still straightens almost every day, but doesn't HAVE to. Since she started those treatments it has def. looked better than ever.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Ever thought about Brazilian Blowout?
    DONT DO IT! I did it and it does leave your hair super straight, smooth and shiny but no volume at all! I had to blow dry and then use hot rollers to get volume so what's the point. Also my hair seemed to fall out like crazy.