Biggest Loser vs Extreme Makeover Weightloss edition

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
If you've watched both shows (Biggest Loser vs Extreme Makeover Weightloss Edition) which do you like better and why?

I prefer EMWE, because it's not a competition against others, it's solely a person's competition with themself. No drama (at least with others), either.

Also at the end of BL they wear girdles and spanx type stuff under their weigh-in outfits, which makes it seem like they are not good enough without them. At the end of EMWE, they don't necessarily look like super models, but they are a hell of a lot healthier than at the beginning of their year, and how they look is a lot more realistic to me.

Thoughts?

Replies

• ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Watching it now :) I love Chris Powell!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think I like him more than Bob or Jillian.
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Only got to watch the last half of the Extreme Makeover tonight. I love love love this show!
  • foreverxena
    foreverxena Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You have a good point. But sometimes I think it's easier to be surrounded by others going through the same thing you are like in BL! If I ever went on a show I think I would prefer BL put I like being pushed and if I know I have competition I push even harder. I do like how EMWE takes a whole year though, I think it's a healthier option.
  • lsalvail
    lsalvail Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I loved the show tonight! It is encouraging.
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you've watched both shows (Biggest Loser vs Extreme Makeover Weightloss Edition) which do you like better and why?

I prefer EMWE, because it's not a competition against others, it's solely a person's competition with themself. No drama (at least with others), either.

Also at the end of BL they wear girdles and spanx type stuff under their weigh-in outfits, which makes it seem like they are not good enough without them. At the end of EMWE, they don't necessarily look like super models, but they are a hell of a lot healthier than at the beginning of their year, and how they look is a lot more realistic to me.

Thoughts?

Agreed! Love EMWE because they have all the attention on one person. BL is a challenge, it is just a game where people lose weight while they play and is not fair all the time. I remember this last season I really wanted to kick Conda's butt for messing around with everybody and after all the drama she made she was on the finals. I remember there was a guy who was kicked out because of her on the second week or something and he lost 117lbs alone at home...

I love Chris, but I also love Bob, Jillian and Dovett. BL Home videos are great. So I watched both but my heart is with EMWE
  • mrmv
    mrmv Posts: 95
    Options
    Yes love Chris Powell.. Watched both shows...big fan of BL but don't like all the cattiness....
  • mrmv
    mrmv Posts: 95
    Options
    Amen on the Conda thing....the Karma train needs to stop at her door...just sayin...
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I found EMWE easier to take. The emotional dynamics and manipulation of BL is a turn off for me. Also, in-your-face trainers may work for some, but I find it unprofessional and rude. As far as being healthier--working out 4 to 5 hours a day? Making someone do squats 300 times in a row while crying in pain? Unrealistic and dangerous and doomed to failure or regression for someone like me. It makes good TV though. Jacqui (EMWE) had surgery for her saggy skin. Let's see--Spanx vs. surgery? Hmmmm.
  • MrsGreenTea703
    MrsGreenTea703 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition and Chris Powell are the ENTIRE reason why my husband and I made the change in our lives FOREVER! Chris Powell is a real down to earth person and he really cares about truly helping people. My husband and I were blessed and lucky enough to meet him!
  • ShannonBas
    ShannonBas Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Agreed! Love EMWE because they have all the attention on one person. BL is a challenge, it is just a game where people lose weight while they play and is not fair all the time. I remember this last season I really wanted to kick Conda's butt for messing around with everybody and after all the drama she made she was on the finals. I remember there was a guy who was kicked out because of her on the second week or something and he lost 117lbs alone at home...

I love Chris, but I also love Bob, Jillian and Dovett. BL Home videos are great. So I watched both but my heart is with EMWE

Oh! Conda!!! :explode: She frustrated me to no end! LOL!! I was hoping they would realize what she was doing and send her home, but they never did. Oh well.
    I love watching both shows. :heart:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I had no idea BL contestants have "help" under their clothes. WTF? I missed almost the whole last season of BL, but for some reason I wasn't upset when I realized it. I think the drama between the contestants started to get on my nerves. I like that they have the support of (mostly) one another, but the challenges would end up making someone the "bad" guy a lot of times, and it always left me not liking that person.

I love Chris Powell and the whole concept of his show, being at home where you're going to have your every day life challenges, and not on a ranch where you don't have any of your normal distractions, like work, taking care of your kids and running errands. I agree doing it over the course of a year is healthier, too. I've been doing it on my own so far (except for the support of my MFP friends), so I would have no problem being alone in a room with Chris. I mean, I would love to have him as my trainer. :wink:
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I love EMWE!!!! But I wonder how long she is going to keep up with the 4 hour a day workouts, especially if she is trying to start a family. Having kids and trying to get in any more than an hour a day is rough for me with 2 toddlers at home. She looked fabulous at the end!!
  • missemily1124
    Options
    Chris Powell is HOT! I was slightly crushed when I found out he was married. :blushing: For that reason, I prefer EMWE.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Extreme makeover!
    DAMN that trainer........ hes hot!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I just can't stand Biggest Loser. To me it just a freak show, look at the fat people & lets make them fight amonst them selves. Making weight loss a competion with a cash prize is not the way to a healthy body.
    We don't get Extreme Makeover here in the UK, or at least not on terestrial TV. so I can't comment on that.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I have never even watched a single episode of Biggest Loser, but from what I catch on previews or online, I know I would not like it....I find it VERY unrealistic....

I don't mind EMWE, I like that it follows one person, and their personal story. I am in Canada, and we had two new episodes the past two weeks, and now I can't find another one :grumble:
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser-- was not a fan of this past season but I do like the challenge aspect of it and LOVED Jillian and I do like Bob also but I would so pay for Jillian to kick my booty

Extreme Makeover Weightloss Edition- I really enjoyed this show last night up until she had the surgery to remove skin :( I don`t think that should have been done on the show but maybe after if she chose to do it. Even the dr said he could remove over 2miles of skin from her body and you can`t tell me that didn`t impack the scale. I just don`t think a medical procedure is ever needed on a weight loss show people see it and her success and then automaticly think thats what they need as well which isn`t always the case.
    I did enjoy the trainer however I`m more of the get in my face kinda person I would want someone yelling at me to knock my wineing off and get moving its how I work best
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    EMWE- Love that its for one person and what its like in the real world and that real people ( who still have to work and deal with family) CAN DO IT.

Plus Chris Powell is not hard to look at :blushing:
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fact that Chris Powell is GORGEOUS, I still prefer Extreme Makeover.

Chris actually teaches them how to change their habits, which is the root of the problem. They don't change just physically, but emotionally, too, and emotions are a lot of why people eat like they do. Each episode is centered around the client, not what they can do to win $250K.