Are your skinny friends less supportive as you drop lbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• knackarsch
    knackarsch Posts: 53
    Options
    Om man do I ever relate to this story! I was 279lbs and now I am 165. I can't tell you the crap I had to hear from the get go! When I got married and announced my marriage at a previous job my closets friends told me I was too fat for my husband! I should start thinking about losing weight because he will defiantly leave me! What a mean thing to say after I just got married! Moving forward and losing weight the jokes shifted toward my husband who happens to be 10 years older than me. She is going to leave you, she is starting to look good giving him a complex. His mother told me when I lost over 100lbs..don't you think you've done enough?

First off, congrats on your accomplishments! You look fantastic, and really... easily 10-15 years younger. Was this a big issue for friends/family with your husband being 10 years older than you? I'm getting married soon with a little bit larger age gap. I worry that dropping weight will make me look young enough to cause a few eyebrows to raise when we're seen together. How about you, did you embrace your inner trophy-wife and not worry about it? Yeesh, it's sooo not me! Haha
  • futurefitgrrl
    Options
    It could be that they have insecurity issues. It could be before you lost the 40 lbs they didn't feel threatened by you, now that you have lost the weight, they very well may feel threatened by you. I would just stick to the more supportive friends.
  • futurefitgrrl
    Options
    Oh and congrats on your weight loss, that's awesome!
  • mrob81
    mrob81 Posts: 36
    Options
    I hate on my "friends" and close relatives all of the time. The minute that I act like I am satisfied with their accomplishments, is the minute that they think they finally made it. You aren't done yet. keep going. I'll give props when props are due.

I put friends in quotation above because this only works with my true friends and close relatives. Those other busters get offended and think that I am jealous and not supportive..
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Options
    I hate on my "friends" and close relatives all of the time. The minute that I act like I am satisfied with their accomplishments, is the minute that they think they finally made it. You aren't done yet. keep going. I'll give props when props are due.

There's a difference between telling them to keep going, they're not done yet, and acting like their effort is pointless. One makes you want to work harder. The other makes you want to quit.
  • NoSharpei
    NoSharpei Posts: 73
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and own experiences. Certainly plenty of food for thought... I won't let a little pettiness bother me, particularly considering the fact that I am disturbing the little ecosystem within which my friends and I exist...and, yes, this story is only partly written. I am not done yet ;). ...and yes, so much support on MFP! xxxx
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am sure chubby people hang out with me cause im fatter and make them look better, they act supportive but hey they act like its a massive struggle for them and I should be able to lose it easier cos im bigger, it gets annoying!
  • ashshields12
    ashshields12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I find this happens to me too. I was given some clothes from a larger friend, and now that they dont fit they seem disappointed that i am not needing them anymore. because i have almost dropped 2 dress sizes. Its very hurtful. Sometimes is easier to find new friends with a similar "lifestyle change" attitude. xx
  • mrob81
    mrob81 Posts: 36
    Options
    I find this happens to me too. I was given some clothes from a larger friend, and now that they dont fit they seem disappointed that i am not needing them anymore. because i have almost dropped 2 dress sizes. Its very hurtful. Sometimes is easier to find new friends with a similar "lifestyle change" attitude. xx

Yes. Sometimes a change is too much for certain people. It may go as far as a group of people not even liking the same things anymore. Losing weight is about changing lifestyle.
  • kariberi84
    kariberi84 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My experience is strange. Its my mom who doesn't seem to be totally supportive. She is 5'2 and over 300lb, but she doesn't ever seriously try and lose the weight. So when I tell her how well I'm doing (10lb in the first 3 weeks) all I get is a very not so happy "cool". I used to try and include her in trying to lose weight and she would do it for a few weeks and then sabotage us both. I'm doing it alone and I know it bothers her. It makes me sad that she acts like this and won't make the change for her self, but I also know that if I keep dwelling on her then I won't ever make it. This has to be about me and no one else or I won't make it.
  • NoSharpei
    NoSharpei Posts: 73
    Options
    Has anyone else had their spouse try to sabotage their success?

HeyRandy, Thankfully my husband is very supportive! I think this weight loss journey would be very difficult if hubby wasn't in my corner!