How do you motivate yourself for gym?

2»

Replies

• CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    I have never gone to a gym.. partly because its too expensive for me.
    I walk...
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Try on something in your closet that you want to get into...or have it feel better on you - that should do it!
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Having great classes at the gym I go to motivates me, I love body attack, pump and CXworx, and when I run I just love the accomplishment of finishing what I had set out to do.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    When I started this journey about 2 - 3 months ago, I was so motivated I exercised as regularly as I could, spent hours reading through the MFP forums and even made a "thinspiration" folder for myself on my desktop to look at when I'm being lazy.
    After 3 weeks of intense revision for exams (therefore hardly any healthy eating + exercise) I can't seem to put my mind back to where it was. I can't motivate myself to go to the gym, eat healthy and I've lost interest in going on the forums. My willpower to say no to unhealthy food has gone too.

How do you guys motivate yourself to stay on track? (especially to go to the gym)

For me, what really helped me get going on the right track was joining a gym that has classes. I really like having structure and that gave me a set time each day that I needed to be there. I also had friends who joined with me and we go together now.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    I find a good audio book that I can only listen to while working out.

Or tell someone that I'm going to the gym at 5:00 and ask if they'll call me at 7:00 to hear about my workout. I'd be ashamed to admit (to someone else, especially) that I didn't follow through due to laziness...
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Hi there,

I just read these motivational quotes that I have collected over the time of my journey that inspired me at the time:

TO GET TO GYM

*** I'm not telling myself it's going to be easy... I'm telling myself it's going to be worth it!

*** The only bad work out is the one that DIDNT happen!

*** Someone busier than you IS running!

*** You can't live a positive life with a negative mind!

*** Strong is the new SEXY.

*** Never give up!

*** Be a doer & believer - anything IS possible.

*** Strive for progress... NOT perfection!

*** The only person standing in your way is you.

Looking at my progress through pictures and achievements & fear of buying larger clothes again, losing muscle growth and gaining back body fat %.

EATING - WILLPOWER (and sometimes the gym too - If I do ____ at the gym I can burn off that ____ & then it never existed!)

And sometimes I think about all the unhealthy things I have eaten throughout the day/week and think about how LONG & HARD I will have to work to get rid of those unnecessary unhealthy calories... I even break it down into exercises... example: mcdonalds burger - 400 calories - 42 minutes of consistent running; a whole high intensity aerobics class; 88 minutes of walking at a 4.0mph pace; 70 minutes of intense weight/strength training; 56 minutes on the cross trainer.

A lot of people I know go to the gym and exercise TO EAT. So they can enjoy the delicious side of life! :smile:

I just know how I feel now and know that to keep this feeling going I need to keep working hard at keeping healthy. At the end of the day, whatever we do NOW will impact on our FUTURE.