Does anyone else crave sugar immediately after eating?

Options
BrendaLee
BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
I am trying to overcome my sugar addiction, and the only thing that's keeping me from eating it is not having anything sweet in the house...I was even tempted to have a spoonful of maple syrup. I didn't, but I feel like it. It doesn't matter what I eat, I immediately crave sweets afterward. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to go crazy if I don't get something sweet. It's a horrible way to live, and I'm pretty tired of it. I've been this way for years, and have been tested for diabetes several times. I would like to know what's going on inside my body to make me crave sugar so badly.

Has anyone overcome this? If so, is there anything that helps?

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Why not allow something sweet? You can finish every meal with a piece of dark chocolate, or a banana, or a yogurt, or even one cookie. As long as you allot for the calories, you need not deprive yourself!

JMHO :flowerforyou:
    (Just my humble opinion :blushing: )
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I have to have something sweet to finish my meal. I have the 60 calorie jello's for dessert, or 100 calorie pack of cookies. I feel like if I deny myself from having anything thats when I go all out and breakdown with a hugh piece of cheesecake.
  • nzfoxy
    nzfoxy Posts: 29
    Options
    I have overcome it in the past but it keeps creeping back in!! The only thing I have found that does work is having a 25cal hot choc/cocoa drink about 20mins after dinner, if the sugar cravings are still strong (and I know what you mean by going crazy if you don't have something sweet) then I brush my teeth and go to bed and read a book. Sigh! I understand what you are going through and I wish I knew a definite 'cure' but alas I still struggle with it every day.:frown:
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    Why not allow something sweet? You can finish every meal with a piece of dark chocolate, or a banana, or a yogurt, or even one cookie. As long as you allot for the calories, you need not deprive yourself!

JMHO :flowerforyou:
    (Just my humble opinion :blushing: )

The thing is, I'm tired of the addiction. I don't want to feel such strong urges to eat sweets. It doesn't make me feel good...and when I do give in, I often REALLY give in. The more sugar I eat, the more sugar I want.
  • ceva02
    ceva02 Posts: 17
    Options
    Watermelon or a starbucks skinny vanilla latte does the trick!
  • FSUNole
    FSUNole Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm like that too! Except once I eat one cookie I will not be able to stop! One thing that has helped me recently are blueberries! They are cheap since they are in season, and it takes me a while to eat 100 calories worth (longer than it would take to eat 100 calories of cookeis or anything else!) especially at one blueberry at a time. They are sweet enough to satisfy me... or at least the last few days they have been... no telling what tomorrow will bring though... :-)

Good luck!!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I am trying to overcome my sugar addiction, and the only thing that's keeping me from eating it is not having anything sweet in the house...I was even tempted to have a spoonful of maple syrup. I didn't, but I feel like it. It doesn't matter what I eat, I immediately crave sweets afterward. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to go crazy if I don't get something sweet. It's a horrible way to live, and I'm pretty tired of it. I've been this way for years, and have been tested for diabetes several times. I would like to know what's going on inside my body to make me crave sugar so badly.

I always crave something sweet after I eat too. I don't even have to be hungry. I struggle with this and don't have any answers but I can definately relate!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    The more sugar I eat, the more sugar I want.

I have this happen too, with sweets or chips or sodas. If I go cold turkey, the cravings subside. THERE'S CRACK IN THOSE FOODS, I SWEAR!! :laugh:

Remind yourself you don't want sweets. Stand firm. Hold your ground. You can accomplish this! :flowerforyou:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm like that too! Except once I eat one cookie I will not be able to stop! One thing that has helped me recently are blueberries! They are cheap since they are in season, and it takes me a while to eat 100 calories worth (longer than it would take to eat 100 calories of cookeis or anything else!) especially at one blueberry at a time. They are sweet enough to satisfy me... or at least the last few days they have been... no telling what tomorrow will bring though... :-)

Good luck!!
    Me too. Once I start eating something sweet-I gorge. I'm never satisfied with a little.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it works or not, but I recently read an article that said if you crave sweets after a meal, slowly sip a hot tea afterward and that should subside the cravings. Again, not sure if it works, but it's worth a try.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options

Another member asked this last week and I suggested liquid chromium drops because I too have had this addiction since I quit smoking 20 yrs ago. My Dr told me 5 drops per day in a glass of water for one month then cut down to 2. It has helped tremendously! Ask your doctor or ask an herbalist at a health food store! We are lacking this nutrient when we are like this! I agree that the problem needs to be delt with, not just substituting with low calorie sugar stuff. I wish you the best cuz I know exactly what you are feeling, at one time I would eat sugar junk over ANY real food. I was BADDDD! Good luck!!!
  • s_sanchez
    Options
    I also feel like I need something sweet after a meal. Usually gum works for me.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Awww I feel yo pain...but Im sorry I make room with my calories for something sweet.I have tio or Ill go crazy.. my sweet tooth is crazy lol...:grumble: :laugh: and those 100 calories packs are the devil to me I eat more than one or atleast the box at times I know wtf but yea they **** me everytime:laugh: :grumble:
  • reedman
    reedman Posts: 35
    Options
    Try Stevia...but that sucks to crave ANYTHING that badly...
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I just had a sugar crave at work... I tried 1 York peppermint pattie mini and it satisified my sugar craving. I also seen that 1 small dark Hersey's kiss seems to make the issue lessen as well!! Good Luck
  • BrendaLee
    Options

Another member asked this last week and I suggested liquid chromium drops because I too have had this addiction since I quit smoking 20 yrs ago. My Dr told me 5 drops per day in a glass of water for one month then cut down to 2. It has helped tremendously! Ask your doctor or ask an herbalist at a health food store! We are lacking this nutrient when we are like this! I agree that the problem needs to be delt with, not just substituting with low calorie sugar stuff. I wish you the best cuz I know exactly what you are feeling, at one time I would eat sugar junk over ANY real food. I was BADDDD! Good luck!!!

I was the same way...I pretty much lived off of junk food for a long time, and would eat a ridiculous amount of sugar whenever I could. I'm definitely going to look into the chromium. I just googled it, and it sounds like it could easily be part of the sugar addiction problem.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    it could also just be that after eating something savory/salty, your mouth is tired of that and then wants sweet.
    that's normal.

if portion control is an issue, i would stick with satisfying that craving with fruit. plus that will give you some fiber to help fill you up. (and we all know we didn't wind up where we are fit-wise by eating too much fruit :laugh: )

i know for me, i can't do the JUST ONE thing. (i had to have my husb cut up the brownies--which were allegedly for my kids-- last night b/c i cdn't otherwise stop myself from eating another and another :noway: )

good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    I don't know if it works or not, but I recently read an article that said if you crave sweets after a meal, slowly sip a hot tea afterward and that should subside the cravings. Again, not sure if it works, but it's worth a try.

I do find green tea helps some.
  • Dedicated
    Dedicated Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge sugar addict and I always crave sweets after a meal. I have noticed, however, that if I eat whole foods without anything processed, I do not crave the sugar.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Have you tried having fruit as a side with your dinner? I know a lot of people don't. My husband and I have fruit sometimes. Maybe it could help with your after dinner cravings. We have applesauce and grilled pineapple a lot (but not together).