Does anyone else crave sugar immediately after eating?

Options

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Absolutely right brendalee,

Reedman there definately IS such a thing as sugar addiction and guess what, 80% of people suffer from it. In fact people are addicted to sugar and dont even know it. Have you ever had a headache and been told to "drink a sweet cup of tea" or "to eat a bar of choclate" this is generally because sugar levels have dropped and the body needs its fix.

I do not use Whacka pedia for my research but there are plenty of real books on this subject, check it out and you will see the evidence of this for yourself.

Once i did this it also helped me to reject sweet things as i now understand that it no good for me. (although im not saying i dont eat sweet things from time to time) But is no longer a constant battle.

Anyway all the best to one and all, lets really exceed our goals in August !!!!!!!!!!!!

I may be wrong...but I do know that people (not saying ANYONE HERE so please don't be offended or think I'm being rude) are quick to label things a disease or an addiction when it's nothing more than a psychological condition...that there are no REAL physiological addictions. I draw from my own experiences when I'm making a conclusion...that could be flawed, but if there was ever a person who would have a sugar addiction I figure it would be me. I went from drinking 8 to 10 sodas A DAY to zero...I didn't substitute them with diet or anything. I drank water...I would have tea occassionaly if we'd go out to dinner and I've ALWAYS used artificial sweetener in tea simply because it mixes better than sugar. This was not a regular thing (going out to dinner) so I can't say that these few glasses of tea would have any impact....I simply made up my mind when I started P90X that I was changing my life and that in order to get where I wanted to be I had to deny myself (quite easily mind you) certain things. That being said...soda was really the only form of sugar I'd ingest...I am not a snacker or a sweet tooth type of guy...

If sugar is indeed an addicition...I wonder why we haven't seen the sugarette patch or lozenges...sounds like a fella could make some serious cash in that market ;)

We all draw on our own experiences to come to conclusions- which is why I know that I am addicted to sugar. Ability to give up soda isn't a marker for whether or not you're sugar addicted, I drank the better part of a 2 Litre of soda most days, and I gave that up as well. I can pretty much guarantee you've never been a 300 pound woman, so perhaps the way your body handles sugar is different than mine, but I'm telling you, I am addicted, dang it. lol Walk a mile in my red high heels, Darlin'. Ok, I'm lying, I don't wear high heels...but you could walk a mile in my red ballet flats.

In all seriousness, I'm not saying it's a disease or it's not, and I'm not using it as an excuse to consume obsorbinate amounts of sugar- I'm saying, that in some way or another, I am addicted to sugar. It could be an insulin thing, it could be a taste bud thing, it could be psychological. I lived on sugar, you can't tell me that you don't understand how that might screw some things up internally. I'm not bothering to point to this research study or that, because as you said, for every study supporting something, there's one that supports the opposite.

Argh, I need a Caramilk bar. :tongue:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Reedman there definately IS such a thing as sugar addiction and guess what, 80% of people suffer from it. In fact people are addicted to sugar and dont even know it. Have you ever had a headache and been told to "drink a sweet cup of tea" or "to eat a bar of choclate" this is generally because sugar levels have dropped and the body needs its fix.

I do not use Whacka pedia for my research but there are plenty of real books on this subject, check it out and you will see the evidence of this for yourself.

Once i did this it also helped me to reject sweet things as i now understand that it no good for me. (although im not saying i dont eat sweet things from time to time) But is no longer a constant battle.

Anyway all the best to one and all, lets really exceed our goals in August !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, that is true, but my Dr told me and I have been reading up on it that the majority of people that have a sugar addiction also suffer from Candida (yeast)...............

That is why I posted it, there are a couple of tests (one online and a spit test) to see if you possibly suffer from yeast over growth.

I tried the Candida diet through a Dr's suggestion and it is too strict, I can not stick with it. So, I am using a LOT of coconut oil to kill it off as coconut oil has anti-fungal properties to kill that stuff and get your body balanced out.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Yes, that is true, but my Dr told me and I have been reading up on it that the majority of people that have a sugar addiction also suffer from Candida (yeast)...............

That is why I posted it, there are a couple of tests (one online and a spit test) to see if you possibly suffer from yeast over growth.

I tried the Candida diet through a Dr's suggestion and it is too strict, I can not stick with it. So, I am using a LOT of coconut oil to kill it off as coconut oil has anti-fungal properties to kill that stuff and get your body balanced out.

Lioness, how important is it to do the saliva test first thing in the AM, as it suggests? I tried it the other day after reading your post, but it was later in the day.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Lioness, how important is it to do the saliva test first thing in the AM, as it suggests? I tried it the other day after reading your post, but it was later in the day.

I am not sure. I will call my naturopath in about 20 minutes when she returns from lunch. When I went to my first appt with her, she tested my saliva for heavy metal contamination and also for candida.

I had an early afternoon appointment and she did the tests then, so I would think it wouldn't matter. I tested positive for heavy metal poisoning and candida. Heavy metal poisoning coming from vacinations I had in the military and as a kid. Candida coming from being diabetic (it is very common in people with insulin resistance or diabetes)

Maybe they suggest doing it first thing in the morning for 2 reasons:
    (Just my thoughts on maybe why, I will ask though)

1. You haven't eaten, so there is no food in the saliva.
    2. Saliva is more concentrated since you have been to sleep.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    What is the saliva test
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    What is the saliva test

Here is a home Candida yeast test, one you can do in the morning. We do not know the source of this home Candida test but it's been around a long time and is thought to be quite reliable in the evaluation of Candida symptoms:

Up to 85% of Americans May Have Candida - DO YOU?

Try this Fast and FREE Candida Saliva Test!
    When you awake in the morning, before you put anything into your mouth, work up some saliva and spit it into a clear glass of water. Within 1-30 minutes, look in the glass. If there are strings coming down from your saliva, or if the water turned cloudy, or if your saliva sank to the bottom, YOU MAY HAVE A CANDIDA CONCERN!

Healthy saliva will simply float on the top!

(You may want to put out a glass of water in the bathroom or on the nightstand the night before you wish to do the home Candida Saliva test, just to remind yourself not to brush your teeth prior to spitting into the glass.)

Why does this work?

Candida overgrowth begins in the colon. Over time, as the fungal yeast multiplies it begins to migrate through the digestive tract, moving up into the small intestine, then the stomach (bloating, indigestion), up the esophagus and into the mouth. If it becomes strongly entrenched there you can see a white film on your tongue and inside your cheeks. Once it has moved up to the mouth and you spit into a glass of water the yeast will sink because it is heavier than water. If there is no yeast it will float on top.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

BrendaLee - my naturopath told me it is because you haven't eaten or drank anything yet when you first get up and it has to do with digestion and the yeast travelling from the gut to the mouth.

I found a website and posted it that supports what she told me over the phone.
  • acrylicrocks
    Options
    :bigsmile: I could eat a spoonful of sugar right now just reading this!!!

:noway: :blushing:
  • nataliegermishuys
    Options
    That works for me! chamomile tea with a little honey works, and I'm a sweet tooth :)
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i have huge sweet teeth.

what i found has worked for me is...to take a probiotic... or eat yogurt ( the non sweetened kind with no fruit ) it works to cut the craving
  • 5banks
    5banks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've gone through this too~it'sa horrible feeling and you can't think of anything else but sweets!!!! sounds crazy but if you eat one small spicy thing (a slice or two of pepperoni works for me) it cuts that sweet craving immediately! And since i don't really like pepperoni, i'm not tempted to binge on it. just that one or two pieces does the trick. good luck~
  • patchounette
    patchounette Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always crave for sugar - each time I m frustrating i run for a piece of chocolate...
    It may be because you are restricting you in carbs... You should try to see if increasing the carbs - the good ones - could help you...
    I just read in one article about carbs and satiety...
    Good luck
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are in the habit of feeding your body something sweet after your meals. The only way to break this is to ..... stop doing it. Break the habit. Nothing sweet after meals. Suck it up and deal with it. How bad do you want to break the habit?
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a sugarholic. I love anything, everything that is sweet. When I cut the sugar, it takes me about 3-4 days to get over the cravings. I allow myself natural sugars (fruit!) and after those days I am fine. Moderation. That is is the key. But as I said earlier, I am a SUGARHOLIC, so I do fall off the wagon occassionally but always try to jump back on! Good luck!
  • Mickeyjenny85
    Mickeyjenny85 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...I mix instant coffee with half a cup of milk and no sugar added.it keeps away from desserts...
  • angelitahouse
    angelitahouse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are talking about since sugar is one of my biggest problems as well. I just started with the site last week but I've been able to somehow control my sweet tooth by shewing sugarless gum right after my meal. It seems to help a little with the cravings. Maybe that would help you too! Good luck!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    whoa! holy almost 4 year old thread!
  • mommia0910
    mommia0910 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I, too, have always had this problem. I did quit refined sugar for almost a year. Totally quit...all of it. It was one of the hardest things to do, there is sugar in everything!!! i ate foods that had 1gm or less of sugar per serving, except natural sugars in fruits and veggies and i only drank unsweetened iced tea or water. I despise artificial sweeteners, so that was out too. Once I got the hang of it, it really was not that bad. the cravings go away and when you do indulge, it is not nearly as satisfying, everything with added sugar is TOO sweet (betcha don't feel like that is possible right now, huh?). The only reason i started again is because i got pregnant. GOOD LUCK!!! I am going to try and kick it again too. I will send any helpful tips your way. :)
  • mimiyo1980
    mimiyo1980 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, sweet is my weakness and although I don't mind thinking of healthy mays to satisfy the craving after everything I eat (truth is sometimes I am eating the savoury because then I can have the sweet!) it is the addiction that makes you feel trapped. Sorry, no suggestions for what it can be but you are not alone!
  • Geminihuntress
    Geminihuntress Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I grew up on deserts after meals. Its not easy to break but drinking lots of water, staying hydrated actually curbs the craving. The more water the less cravings you have, not just sweets.