Big Girls in Bathing Suits

Options
cabaray
cabaray Posts: 971 Member
I love to swim; however, at my size I will simply not wear a bathing suit in public. I often see women my size or close to my size at the pool. Are you a big woman that wears a bathing suit in public? If so, what advice do you have for someone who just can't seem to do it?

Replies

• kelfhouse
    kelfhouse Posts: 16
    Options
    I sure do. I have one with a skirt and that makes me feel a little better. But really I don't give a crap what people think of me so I don't mind wearing it.
  • morgynsmama
    Options
    I hate wearing them in public no matter what my size!!!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Okay, let me preface this by saying, I have never been a bigger woman but I can kind of relate. I was formerly skinny fat for a long time. I never felt comfortable in a bathing suit. I took baby steps. I wore a racer-back style suit for a few years then a tankini when I'd lost some more body fat. Finally, working my way to where I am now. I think if you wait until you hit that "perfect size", you'll let life pass you by. I wish I'd not hid during those summer months and just not cared what others thought. I think we are our own worst enemies. No one is perfect - everyone has flaws. I say, find a suit that makes you look your best and just wear it regardless of not being at goal or whatever.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    Get a black one.
    I got a racing back one, bugger to get on but I don't have any boobage malfunctions.
    I also got boy leg bottoms, they made me feel better.
    Once you're in the water no one sees. Also most people don't care.
    I wear glasses and when I swim I can't see so well, it's weird but when I can't see people clearly, I feel like they can't see me either.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    Personally, I doesn't bother me at all if bigger gals wear bathing suits. I hardly notice. I think everyone thinks they're being looked at when really they're not.

That being said, I've been to the beach with my brother-in-law plenty of times and he likes to play the "Hey, look! I found myself a new girlfriend" game.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I hate wearing them, but my boys like going to the pool. I've lost 25 pounds in 4 months so I feel a bit better about wearing one, but it still makes me feel uncomfortable. I am not going to let my size determine what I can and cannot do.
  • 1MOMOISME
    1MOMOISME Posts: 25
    Options
    I have noticed the people that notice are noticing flaws in EVERYONE! Most people don't care. I think you need to find some sort of happiness with yourself no matter what skin you are in! You are on a journey and the road is going to be long and bumpy, so take some pleasures for yourself along the way and find that peace and joy IN yourself FOR yourself...so wear it!!! I am a larger woman myself. I used to have a swim suit with a skirt. Now I wear a tankini top and a pair of women's swim shorts....I am super comfy and that is all that matters!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I bought a dress suit that goes just below my butt and I wear it with a pair of biker shorts. It makes me feel more comfortable while in public.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I wore one when I was skinny fat too. I was basically a skeleton with a belly and had saggy back. But I was out there anyway. Oh well.
  • fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The problem I have is I forget that I am fat!!! I will wear a black swimsuit with boy shorts swim shorts and rock it! I love the beach and water so most of the time when I am there I am having so much fun I don't even think about it TILL THE PICTURES SHOW UP LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a big gal and I have got to stick on program. We are going to the beach next month and I would love to lose another 15 pounds.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I love to swim; however, at my size I will simply not wear a bathing suit in public. I often see women my size or close to my size at the pool. Are you a big woman that wears a bathing suit in public? If so, what advice do you have for someone who just can't seem to do it?

I am not sure what your size is. I know at my heaviest size, I hated wearing a bathing suit in pubic, too. But for me, my love of swimming and wanting to play in the water with my family outweighed my discomfort. I just did it and tried to not think too much about it. Once I was in the water playing, how I looked in my bathing suit became a non-issue.
    I see mamas of all sizes and shapes with their kids at the lake and pool. I never think a thing about it, except isn't it great we're all there having fun, enjoying the water and being with our families?
  • Kristy713ckm
    Kristy713ckm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am a 24/26. I have an 11 year old son & a 2 year old daughter. They miss out on enough because of my size, and my husband's anxiety. Getting into a bathing suit so they can have fun at local pools is important. Personally, I don't recall much looking, gawking, snickering or "mooooing" happening during these swim events. I was "walking" a couple weeks ago and am pretty sure a teenager moooed and giggled at me. But, they're not going to stop me... I would only be embarrassed for my kids sake. I only had my 2 year old with me during the walk, who didn't know how awful that teen was being. My advice is to "wear it and enjoy!". But if a comment will tear you down too bad, maybe not. You gotta be thick-skinned and keep doing what's right regardless of immature people.... That's my thoughts.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love wearing bathing suits. I could care less what other people think.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I was self-conscious about it, but I wore my size 30 swimsuit last summer. This summer I'm in a 22. Next summer I hope to be in a 10 or 12. Get a nice one piece (I found mine on WomanWithin.com) and a cover-up for strolling around, and then just go. Get out there, have fun with your kiddos and don't look back!
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I say wear them. I dont care what anyone else thinks. Confidence is HOT!!
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't wear bathing suits, and I won't until I lose a lot more weight. I just wear shorts and a tank usually.
  • Getmy1back
    Options
    In my humble opinion, you deserve to be comfortable at the beach / pool (especially when it's hot) just like everybody else. I've been overweight all my life (size 24 at my heaviest, I'm a 20 now), and have always worn a bathing suit to swim. Even some of my thinner friends have come to the pool / beach with me in shorts and a t-shirt. It just seemed like way to much cloth to get wet in. In 25 years, I've never had anyone stare at me awkwardly or tell me I needed to slip on a cover-up, so my guess is: they really don't care all that much.

I would just hate for paranoia about your body to get in the way of you having a good time somewhere. "Let haters hate!", as they say.
  • cerdmann
    cerdmann Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm a lap swimmer who wears a size 22 suit! I LOVE the water and have been a swimmer all my life. I don't necessarily like how I look in a swimsuit but I'm never, ever going to give it up because of what other people might think or say! It's great exercise! I have found that Longitude suits (available at many stores and on-line) fit me best and do a great job of optimizing my assets and minimizing my "flaws". I go fo the ones with cross-back straps but that's just me. When I go to the beach I wear a pair of shorts or capris that match the color of my suit well. Until I get in the water I wear the shorts. Once I'm in the water, I just don't care! :o)
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i got a cute black tankini with a skirt. I love it. It hides my thighs and belly and makes me looks slimmer because it is black.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have a black tankini with the skirt bottom as well.
    I take my daughter to water babies so I had no choice as you cannot wear clothing at the pool. I hated it and still feel self conscience. So maybe I haven't gotten over it (I certainly do not go out and rock it with confidence unfortunately) but I'm working on it, this summer we're supposed to go to the beach and I'll try hard to not keep my shorts and tshirt on.