Running

Options
124»

Replies

• Lbekah72
    Lbekah72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I currently weight 217 (5'9) and started 95 days ago at 247... :-)
    I ran a 5k 3 weeks back and it was amazing!
    I’m planning on a 1/2 Marathon in October..
    I strongly suggest (if you have a smart phone) the Couch to 5K app...
    It’s an awesome way to start and follow it to a T...
    From that do the 10K and before you know it you will be doing the bridge to half marathon..
    Oh and from my experience... HIT THE STREETS...
    Although ANY cardio is GREAT.. Its night and day running on the street compaired to a treadmill...
    Best of luck!
    Enjoy!!!
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    All the above; good shoes, stretching (after your workout), patience, listen to your body, don't let an injury make you decide 'running isn't for me' altogether- but don't let the injury get worse either. ex; my knees and shins were a problem until I went under 215 pounds. Then that problem disappeared. When you start actually jogging or running I would add:

- doctor supervision. Especially during the beginning.
    - running buddy
    - think of treadmills as a temporary stage or a harsh weather substitute. They are a wonderful tool but they doing a lot of the work for you. By the time you 'graduate' off the treadmill you will see a higher rate of progress.
    - supplimental work; weight lifting leg exercises, yoga, rebounding. This can help break up the monotony and help prevent injury
    - time of day; finding out what time works best for you
    - keep a log. As you look back you will be amazed with your progress and it will motivate you. Share it with your friends.
  • DANCE53
    DANCE53 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY RECOMEND TO START WITH A WALK THEN JOG THEN RUN BUT SCHEDULE IT OUT PER WAY YOUR BODY FEELS AND DRANK PLENTY WATER FEEL FREE ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS