Potatoes: With or without skin

2»

Replies

• dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    With skin. Most of the nutrients are in the potato skins.
    Just give them a good scrub under running water and you're good to go.

I really like to bake sweet potatoes. Since it's turned to summer bbq weather, I clean a sweet potato, poke holes in the skin with a small knife, rub it with a little olive oil and sprinkle on a pinch of kosher salt. Wrap in foil and toss it on the grill (or directly in the coals if trying to cook a little quicker).

I do make a point to buy local and organic whenever possible, organic at a minimum for things grown on or in the ground. That is very much a personal preference and not part of the question asked by the OP so I won't go further.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    I do both!!! :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    With the skin, for all potatoes.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Depends on if I have the time (and patience) to clean them well enough. I love the skin but sometimes I will scrub for ten minutes and decide it's never getting clean enough and just peel it.
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    skin on yes! gives it character lol
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    I eat the skin as well, whether it be boiled, fried, microwaved or baked..........it is all good:bigsmile:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    All the nutrients aren't in the skin but a decent amount are. The other good reason for keeping the skin on is it prevents nutrient loss from the rest of the potato from evaporation during cooking.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    A lot depends on the potato its self. I think the newer the potato the skin taste better and I leave it on most times as the skin does contain the most nutrition, but if it's an older potato I skip the skin.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I love the skin!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    I prefer eating potatoes with the skin on.

Edit: I will, however, remove it if the potatoes have been sitting around awhile and are covered in eyes. Otherwise my skin stays on.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    well, that does it. A bit late for today but for future will definitely try making some potato curry with the skin on
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Skin on.
  • waldenlev
    waldenlev Posts: 102 Member
    With skin. Both normal and sweet. I'll thow one in the microwave and grab and eat. Mmmmm....